PDA

View Full Version : "A nice game of chess" for an Apple II/II+/IIe

tezza
September 18th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hi,

One piece of software I like to have for all machines in my collection is a chess game. My Apples don't have one at the moment. Does anyone know where I could get a freeware/public domain/(abandonware?) copy of one?

Tez

Terry Yager
September 18th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Battle Chess? Pm me...

--T

im_an_alien
September 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?

:p

Yzzerdd
September 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM
HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?

Nah, I'd rather play global thermonuclear war.

--Jack

tezza
September 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Nah, I'd rather play global thermonuclear war.

--Jack

Yes, Wargames. You got it. :)

Tez

Terry Yager
September 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
TNW is no fun...it always ends the same way...

--T

Yzzerdd
September 20th, 2008, 04:25 PM
TNW is no fun...it always ends the same way...

--T

Everyone knows the only way to win is to not play at all....

Tez, I feel like I should probably contribute to the thread in some way. I don't have any chess games for Apple II (I have Ed's Chess and Solitare for PC) but have you checked eBay or whatever you guys use down there?

--Jack

willowmoon93
September 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM
"Sargon II" was probably my favorite chess game for the Apple II line of computers. If there's a way to get a copy of that one, I'd go for it. Wish I still owned a copy!

wmmullaney
September 21st, 2008, 05:20 AM
Find a disk image of it on the internet, then transfer it with ADT pro.

Down load the image form here: http://www.virtualapple.org/sargoniidisk.html

and ADT pro from http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/

ADT pro will work on pc/mac using audio cables serial or ethernet to transfer files.

tezza
September 22nd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Right. Got Sargon III, to keep my Apples amused. Thanks to everyone who sent me links.

wmmullaney, thanks for the link. I didn't get anything from that site though, as the browser told me the site wanted to install a piece of software I wasn't familiar with. Probably harmless, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Cheers

Tez

chuckcmagee
September 22nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Good choice on NOT installing that activex software. I found numerous warnings on security holes in that software. The software is not a virus or bad, just has some security holes that can be used by hackers.

Merlin
September 22nd, 2008, 02:14 AM
So, have you named one of your Apple IIs 'Joshua' or 'WOPR' yet?

:mrgreen:

tezza
September 22nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
Give me time and I might :D

When I started cleaning up these old Apples the intention was to sell most of them, but now I've spent hours (days!) nursing and cajoling them back to health they all feel like members of the family!

Ok I know. I need to get out more :)

Tez

wmmullaney
September 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Right. Got Sargon III, to keep my Apples amused. Thanks to everyone who sent me links.

wmmullaney, thanks for the link. I didn't get anything from that site though, as the browser told me the site wanted to install a piece of software I wasn't familiar with. Probably harmless, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Cheers

Tez

Thats odd, never happened to me, it is a great piece of software (If) you can get it working.

Trixter
September 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
If you'd like to meet "Miss Sargon" herself: http://www.archive.org/details/Computer1985_6

Tinkerer
September 22nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
If you'd like to meet "Miss Sargon" herself: http://www.archive.org/details/Computer1985_6

Haha. Computer Chronicles...Man I miss that show. PBS in Georgia had something similar for a while, but it's gone now. :(

tezza
September 23rd, 2008, 03:42 AM
Yea, those are great historical archives allright. It's good they are one the web and accessible to all.

Tez

im_an_alien
September 25th, 2008, 05:47 PM
So, have you named one of your Apple IIs 'Joshua' or 'WOPR' yet?

:mrgreen:

Next time I pick up a cray on ebay, I'll call it WOPR. I will then write a program for it that will allow people to log in over telnet and play GTNW. :P