PDA

View Full Version : From the local news:

Terry Yager
September 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Lead story tonite is a robbery/murder at a nearby convenience store. Two guys wearing ski masks and brandishing handguns entered the store, and one of the BadGuys(tm) jumped up onto the counter and leaned over the top of the bullet-proof glass to point his weapon at the clerk!!! After the (minimum wage) employee gave it up, he got shot anyways (now that's just plain ornery).

I just wonder who is the bigger criminal in this story, the robber/killer, or the store owner who didn't think it necessary to spring for enough lexan to reach all the way to the ceiling?

Oh yeah, and speaking of st00pit criminals, last nite's news had a story about how a pair of copper thieves blew themselves and an abandoned house to smithereens when they used a power tool to cut into a natural gas line. I'm going to nominate them for the Darwin Award (provided they haven't already procreated)!

--T

barythrin
September 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
We had a similar copper stealing story where the criminals cut the lines but they were hot and got electricuted. My only comment was "lol good".

Terry Yager
September 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, same thing happened in Flint at the long-defunct McDonald's Dairy building several years back. Guy cut into a huge oil-filled copper conduit that was used to cool & shield a high-tension electrical line. He'll never steal again.

--T

Unknown_K
September 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Somebody around here got fried to a cinder trying to cut a huge copper cable at a local substation within the last year or two if I remember correctly.

CP/M User
September 23rd, 2008, 02:43 AM
Perhaps I'm being too much of a Cat Burglar by stating those robbers would have found another entry point - even if it required climbing in from the roof! Jolly good show! :-D

Don't Americans have warning signs on Dangerous structures or areas? Or is it just Americans criminals can't be bothered reading signs? Where I work we have little plastic boxes with signs on them saying Danger 415 Volts! :-o Aussies perhaps aren't any better with reading signs though, particularly ones which relate to the environment - perhaps blame the person who decided to have a book of conditions to read before you're suppose to install the software! Who does that? I remember reading the one for GNU software a few years ago, though apart from the bit which states you cannot use this software for financial gain, that's the only bit I remember! :-D

barythrin
September 23rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Well, they're not trying to break into a building, just steal the copper to sell to scrap metal places.

A lot of these folks are stealing from new building locations or new home builders and that's why there aren't signs or they think things aren't connected yet. Still, I think taking the 400V warning sign down is a pretty good theft deterent.

Terry Yager
September 23rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Worst I've heard of yet was an ancient (local landmark) church building around here somewhere had a copper spire weighing several tons stolen right off the roof. Now how do they sell sum'n like that without raising suspicion? (The recyclers buying it have to be as crooked as the damn sellers). A couple of other recent thefts involved some statues, plaques, other nearly priceless or irreplaceable items stolen from public property (cherubs from a fountain, right downtown, and some light fixtures from another public park, etc). Unfortunately, those thieves apparently survived. Where will it end? Are we going to come out one morning and discover the Statue of Liberty missing?

--T

Unknown_K
September 23rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Worst I've heard of yet was an ancient (local landmark) church building around here somewhere had a copper spire weighing several tons stolen right off the roof. Now how do they sell sum'n like that without raising suspicion? (The recyclers buying it have to be as crooked as the damn sellers). A couple of other recent thefts involved some statues, plaques, other nearly priceless or irreplaceable items stolen from public property (cherubs from a fountain, right downtown, and some light fixtures from another public park, etc). Unfortunately, those thieves apparently survived. Where will it end? Are we going to come out one morning and discover the Statue of Liberty missing?

--T

You will wake up one day to the statue of libery wearing a mini skirt instead of that full length dress. This kind of stuff happens all the time when people cannot make a living working at minimum wage. I recall Cleveland Ohio making a nice comeback in the 90's because people were working only to sink lower this decade because of the loss of jobs. No different from the poorest of the poor in africa blowing themselves up trying to tap into a fuel pipeline to make some money. No education coupled with poverty and seeing others with so much wealth they could never spend it all breeds criminals who get themselves killed doing stupid things. Here in the US we educate some of those criminals and they become polititions and civil servants, the rest rob the old fashioned way with a gun.

Terry Yager
September 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
And as for reading warning labels, the majority of inmates in our penitentiaries are illiterate...

--T

CP/M User
September 23rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Without mentioning any cultures or race, lots of people were stealing something made of Copper from the railways, and this was leaving all sorts of problems for the trains - nothing tragic happening as far as I recall, though now for anyone stealing any copper scraps from the railways - they will get a nasty shock!

I tend to agree with Unknown_K that some people accumulate their wealth because in the past they've managed to steal and get away with what was stolen? What better way to build on that wealth my investing it? And some people build on their wealth from wealthy ancestors in the past and continue to build on that. My Dad for example had some wealthy parents, though now it seems he's an impoverish pensioner! My Mum's Dad also had some money! Though the like to spend - not always a good idea! :-(

Terry Yager
September 23rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
And guess who's gonna foot the bill for all the thievery and incompetence...???

(Hope this isn't getting too political, but I'm pissed...along with a few hundred million other Americans). This is the Rants section after all.

--T

CP/M User
September 23rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Terry Yager wrote:

And guess who's gonna foot the bill for all the thievery and incompetence...???

That would be the competent people! :-o Or Uncle Sam will hand the bill to the Rest of the World! :-( By the time it gets to Australia it'll probably be a tax - pay or else! :-o

(Hope this isn't getting too political, but I'm p!$$úd...along with a few hundred million other Americans). This is the Rants section after all.

Crikley the local pub must be doing a roaring trade! :-D

Terry Yager
September 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Crikley the local pub must be doing a roaring trade! :-D

Funny, She and I were just discussing similar last night. She was trying to figger out what might be good invertments, and I told her that the only thing she should consider putting her money into is beverage alcohol, as the demand for it is going to skyrocket in the immediate future...

(...And no, that isn't a typo. Invertments(tm) are like investments, but inverted, i.e. going in the opposite direction).

--T

Terry Yager
September 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Just heard on CrimeStoppers, the police are offering a $1000.00 reward for info on the thieves who made off with 170 copper vases from the markers in a local graveyard. What sickos...

As an update to my original rant, ever since the incident, I've been looking up whenever I go into a beer store, gas station, etc. It's shocking to see how many places have bullet-proof glass that doesn't extend all the way to the ceiling.

BTW, they also have arrested the (alleged) killers.

--T

Micom 2000
September 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I thought it already was. :^}

L.

--T

80sFreak
September 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Where will it end? Are we going to come out one morning and discover the Statue of Liberty missing?

I thought it already was. :^}
L.

LOL! Good one! :-D

Cheers,

80sFreak

Terry Yager
September 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM
No, it's the Liberty that's been stolen...the statue's still there.

--T

Micom 2000
October 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
My error. I knew a guy in Boston, a black militant named Bob Collier who was suckered and had suggested "Let's blow the head off the old bitch". A real waste, since the Dept. of Homeland Security did it much more efficiently with no great mess.
Should I be worried about Black Hellicopters even up here ?

L

Terry Yager
October 1st, 2008, 05:37 PM
Should I be worried about Black Hellicopters even up here ?

L

L,

Although there have been some sightings up yer way, I don't think dubya will try to annex Canadia until after the coup is announced in lieu of an election this year. The BHs there now are just advance scouts...

--T

Micom 2000
October 3rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
HeheheHEh

Damn, Terry.

You should have really moved down to N'awleans when you had the desire.
Could you have imagined the consternaton you mght have inspired in the boardrooms and
bedrooms of the boards of Halliburton and all the other big companies trying to turn the old black districts into another CanCun. You could have started a crusading community paper called "Terry Suggests". "All the big news the biggies Don't Want you to Know."
And if you struck a chord, all those JuJu and Santoran shamen now in hiding could nfluense the board room people to decide to go go back to the safer confines of Iraq rather than the hell of N'awleans
L

Jorg
October 3rd, 2008, 01:02 AM
Without mentioning any cultures or race, lots of people were stealing something made of Copper from the railways, and this was leaving all sorts of problems for the trains - nothing tragic happening as far as I recall, though now for anyone stealing any copper scraps from the railways - they will get a nasty shock!

Australia is using 25KV AC if I'm correct. Good for a nice shock.

We use 1500V DC, max 4000 Amps.
They cling to it.

Terry Yager
October 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
L,

Unfortunately, only intellectuals and street people (often one & the same) are the only people who'd read my rantings (as proven by this thread), since I've been labeled (in the finest tradition of the Gulag), Mentally Ill.

...and yes, D, I get my parentheses wholesale (could I swap ya for some commas?).

--T

Druid6900
October 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
L,

Unfortunately, only intellectuals and street people (often one & the same) are the only people who'd read my rantings (as proven by this thread), since I've been labeled (in the finest tradition of the Gulag, Mentally Ill.

...and yes, D, I get my parentheses wholesale (could I swap ya for some commas?).

--T

I'd guess, without too much fear of contridiction, that the majority of the world's population has some manner or another of "mental illness" and that would make the remainder "sick".

Sure, T, wanna swap by size or weight?

Terry Yager
October 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Never mind, I found one.

--T