PDA

View Full Version : EGA or VGA?

per
October 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Some time ago, I got this card. It is an ATI card, marked "ATI, Copyright 1988, Rev.1". This card has a 9-pin D-Shell connector, and an ATI 18800-1 chipset with 256KB RAM. There is no jumpers, and it has a PCB layout of a VGA, but a EGA BIOS.

So, is this an EGA or a VGA card?

See pictures for more details.

mbbrutman
October 5th, 2008, 09:02 AM
If it says EGA on the BIOS chip and the connector is 9 pin, why would you question it?

Anonymous Coward
October 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Woah, that's pretty interesting. I have several EGAWonder boards, but I've never seen one with solder pads for a 15-pin d-sub connector. What I think you have here is a very late model EGAWonder that has an option for using an analogue monitor to display EGA graphics. Because there are no pads for display type select jumpers it makes it very unlikely this card is a reduced function VGA Wonder or VIP VGA. Analogue EGA wasn't very common, but I've seen a few devices that make use of it. My Sigma Designs EGA board has this connection, and I've seen a few laptops with it as well.

Terry Yager
October 5th, 2008, 09:35 AM
It does kinda resemble an EGAWonder, but where's the switch block? The pads are there, but mebbe it's an autoswitching version?

--T

Druid6900
October 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Can you get a hi-res shot of the whole back of the card, please?

per
October 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
The images where taken in a haste, because I was hurrying to catch the bus to Bergen. I'm not going back home before next weekend. I'll take a picture then.

The board layout does match this, hence, the title on this topic: http://th99.dyndns.org/v/A-B/52559.htm

BTW, the board was pulled from a Commodore PC-30.

per
October 18th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I got the images now, sorry if it took a long time.