PDA

View Full Version : Mac Color Classic with "Color Classic II" upgrade...sort of

EddieDX4
October 7th, 2008, 01:45 AM
So I purchased a Mac Color Classic locally a couple of years ago. It was in near-mint condition.

Later on I got a wild hare up my rear-end and decided to hunt down for a Performa 550 to do a logicboard swap, to bring it up to full 32bit bus and 33mhz... I found one and did the upgrade.

After a few months of having fun with the little Classic that could, I put it away to make space for other vintage toys (the picnic table in my vintage playroom can only hold so many at a time).

Anyhow, I believe it's got somewhere between 12 ~ 16mb of RAM right now, and it also has an Ethernet card installed. Can't remember if it's got an 80mb or 160mb drive (I do have a 160mb laying around, however).

I was wondering what these are going for these days? You know, just for ego-boost sake... This is my favorite of the old Macs, and I'm not sure I'd like to sell it, yet... But I was curious as to valuation, seeing how it's closer to a "Color Classic II" and in mint shape (shiny, bright screen, and no yellowing).

Terry Yager
October 7th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Later on I got a wild hare up my rear-end

Ouch! (I thought gerbiling was bad enough).

--T

ashbourn
October 8th, 2008, 01:10 AM
A working Color Classic just went for $80ish plus like $50 in shipping, if I remember right. It had no upgrades and nothing on the hard drive and no keyboard or mouse just the main unit. I would say with shipping they tend to go for $125 - 200 for an a unit with no upgrades, fully working, and no keyboard or mouse.

The Color Classic is a big item for modders putting modern computers into the classic color classic case. With it is also collected because of it's somewhat unique appearance. This drives up the value a bit compaired to other more powerful apples of the same time.

Joe

EddieDX4
October 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
A working Color Classic just went for $80ish plus like $50 in shipping, if I remember right. It had no upgrades and nothing on the hard drive and no keyboard or mouse just the main unit. I would say with shipping they tend to go for $125 - 200 for an a unit with no upgrades, fully working, and no keyboard or mouse.

The Color Classic is a big item for modders putting modern computers into the classic color classic case. With it is also collected because of it's somewhat unique appearance. This drives up the value a bit compaired to other more powerful apples of the same time.

Joe

Or, as my wife put it... "It's so damn cute!" :mrgreen:

Thanks for the information. Good baseline to keep in mind.

I still have the original logicboard with the 16mhz 030 and 16bit bus, and might be upgrading the new one using a Sonnet Presto Plus 040 66mhz card with FPU, 32mb, and Ethernet. My goal is to make this a little 68k speed demon for playing the good oldies like Sierra games on it. Then again, the cheapest I can find one is for $140 + shipping (eBay) and that's just a bit overboard... As it is, it is night and day difference with the 32bit bus and 33mhz 030...

I have not performed the modification to run it at 640x480, though... I may try to hunt down a spare logicboard to do that. I like conserving the original state of a machine as much as possible, and that mod requires some altering that I've yet to consider necessary.