PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5181 Compact Printer

strollin
October 8th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Can anyone point me to any info about this printer? It's a serial printer so I especially need info regarding baud rate, parity, data bits, stop bit it uses but would be interested in any other info about it as well. I currently have it attached to a PCjr (I believe it was originally designed for the jr).

Thanks.

Lorne
October 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM
When I've been hooking up my terminal and printer to my Altos, I've had to make the settings on the terminal and printer, to suit the Altos - not the other way around.
The Altos manual tells me what settings I need to make to on the terminal and printer, to ensure they work with the actual computer.
I don't know if it's the same with a PC Jr or not. If it is, I suspect you'll need a PC Jr manual to find out what the settings should be.

mbbrutman
October 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
It's in the PCjr Tech Ref. I don't have mine handy at the moment (I'm on the road), but I think it was 1200 bps.

And yes, it was designed for the PCjr.

IBMMuseum
October 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM
It's in the PCjr Tech Ref. I don't have mine handy at the moment (I'm on the road), but I think it was 1200 bps.

And yes, it was designed for the PCjr.

My official sheet says 1200bps, two stop bits, no parity check. There are other listed PC models in addition to the PCjr (5150, 5155, 5160, or XT/370, all listed as connected ¨via the Compact Printer Connector Adapter attached to the Asyncronous Communications Adapter¨. The listing for the PCjr reports ¨via the standard Serial Port Connector (Parallel Printer Attachment must not be installed in the 4860 [PCjr])¨.

strollin
October 9th, 2008, 04:17 AM
My official sheet says 1200bps, two stop bits, no parity check. There are other listed PC models in addition to the PCjr (5150, 5155, 5160, or XT/370, all listed as connected ¨via the Compact Printer Connector Adapter attached to the Asyncronous Communications Adapter¨. The listing for the PCjr reports ¨via the standard Serial Port Connector (Parallel Printer Attachment must not be installed in the 4860 [PCjr])¨.

Thanks. That's the info I was looking for. The statement bolded above has me concerned, does it mean that the printer won't work if I have the parallel port sidecard on the jr? I guess I'll have to try the printer without the sidecar.