PDA

View Full Version : EMMA Computer

per
October 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I just heard rumours that the school where I go has an EMMA computer, and that they're problably going to throw it away somtime soon. The EMMA was problably Norway's first computer and the prototype was manufactered in 1958.

It would be interesting if I could get my hands on that computer, but it's not as easy to take it on the shoulder and just go. It would problably require a truckload or something like that if I'm estimating correctly.

What should I do? Should I contact IT manager at the school, or should I just let go of the idea?

barythrin
October 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Interesting delemma. That's the type of piece that may be worth salvaging but getting a museum to store it for you (depending on the size since I have no idea how large it really is).

Ole Juul
October 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
per: "What should I do? Should I contact IT manager at the school, or should I just let go of the idea?"

I think you should contact the IT manager. At the very least your interest (and perhaps educating influence) could save a piece of history even if you don't personally end up with it as a "roommate". :) How big are these things anyway?

per
October 16th, 2008, 10:20 PM
per: "What should I do? Should I contact IT manager at the school, or should I just let go of the idea?"

I think you should contact the IT manager. At the very least your interest (and perhaps educating influence) could save a piece of history even if you don't personally end up with it as a "roommate". :) How big are these things anyway?

about this I think ( http://www.nettavisen.no/it/article1944952.ece ).

There are more pictures if you scroll down on the page.

PS. they got one in Technical Museum in Oslo too.

*Edit*
It seems, according to the text, that the EMMA was an IBM 650.

Ole Juul
October 16th, 2008, 11:31 PM
OK, so it's not so big then. A little reinforcement of the floor and an upgrade to 400Amp service for the living room and you're all set. As usual, the big problem is going to be finding drivers. You may have to upgrade the magnetic drum so that VISTA will run properly.

nige the hippy
October 17th, 2008, 02:52 AM
It certainly shouldn't go for scrap, there can't be many left now. I'm sure a museum would take it, Our local one hasn't an IBM 650. Or alternatively one day you probably will have a garage big enough to keep it in, but a 22KW load on your home electrics isn't ridiculous, but is going to cost a penny or two to run and a full time job maintaining it!

Some good pictures & info here....

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/650.html

So many times I haven't stuck my neck out and stuff has passed me by.

Be big & brave & remember, asking costs nothing!

per
October 17th, 2008, 03:47 AM
OK, so it's not so big then. A little reinforcement of the floor and an upgrade to 400Amp service for the living room and you're all set. As usual, the big problem is going to be finding drivers. You may have to upgrade the magnetic drum so that VISTA will run properly.

I think the Central unit is actually in a museum in OSLO, and this might just have been some additional units. I'll ask the the IT responsiblile about what they really got (remember that it's still only a rumour, but I'm pretty sure they got somthing).

*Edit*
Turned out to just be a false rumour :( . Anyway I haven't much space avalible AND I'm not 18 years old yet, so I can't drive.

JollyRogers
October 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
That's a shame. That would have been a worthwhile piece to have.

per
October 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM
That's a shame. That would have been a worthwhile piece to have.

The museum of thecnical stuff in Oslo got it. They are even trying to restore it to a working state.

chuckcmagee
October 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Major LOL. Reminds me of the Bendix G-15 that someone gave to a occupational school I attended (in high school, no less). It used mag drum as that "RAM" and had about 200 tubes on each side. It was great in the late winter to warm up the room fast. The optical tape reader died right after it arrived so you could not "cold start" it anymore. I tried working on the tape reader but I didn't own a scope at the time (1967). I finally managed my FIRST scope about 12 months ago, off ebay.