PDA

View Full Version : "New" Kaypro 10, won't power up. Any experts around?

tone007
October 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hi,

Picked up a Kaypro 10 in pretty decent shape, however, when I plug it in and flip the switch I get no power light, the fan spins normally, and there seems to be a high speed clicking noise. CRT does not seem to light up (played with the brightness knob, too.) Don't hear the hard drive spinning, either.

I haven't pulled anything apart yet, wondering if there's something I should check first.

Thanks.

Terry Yager
October 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Pull it apart, and examine the solder joints on the power supply board. (The headers where the power goes in and out). These are notorious for going bad, but the repair is simple, just by resoldering the connections.

--T

tone007
October 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Warmed the joints up, nice and shiny now.

I'm silly, though, didn't notice that the fan is actually running right off of AC.

Power supply board is putting out no DC on 5V, 12V, or -12V, just "tickytickytickyticky"

I could probably swap something else in, but I'd like to stick with the original parts.

Definitely not a power supply expert, though. Caps all look OK.

Any other suggestions?

Druid6900
October 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM
If it's the PSB that's "ticking", start unplugging stuff until it stops and see what's dragging it down.

tone007
October 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
How about that, floppy drive is causing the problem.

Oh, and "This KAYPRO computer is the personal propery of Jack Underwood." (or so the boot screen says, and sits there.)

Wonder what I can do with this.

Terry Yager
October 17th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Prob'ly should look at the PS again, as the HDD is also not working, and it's looking for a bootdisk.

--T

tone007
October 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Oh, the hard drive is grinding away alright...

Maybe it's just empty.

Druid6900
October 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM
The question now is, what make and model of floppy do you need to replace?

Sharkonwheels
October 17th, 2008, 10:53 PM
K10's are pretty tolerant on floppies.
I've had success with just about any 5.25" 360kb 40T DS/DD drive.
I've used everything from Epson, to Toshiba, Teac, TEC, etc...

To keep period correct, though, there were about 3-4 FDD models used, depending on if it is a K10-'83 or K10-'84.

T

tone007
October 18th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Well, I located the blown tantalum cap on the floppy drive board and replaced it. Hooked it back up, it's no longer killing the power supply. However, it's still sitting at that startup screen and not trying to boot from either drive.

Is this "property of" screen at startup a standard thing, or could this be some custom ROM? I'm wondering if it's password protected or something.

edit: eh, maybe the floppy is still dead, I tried plugging in a single sided TEAC I had lying around and it gives a bit of activity, while the Kaypro's doesnt. Guess I'll have to dig up a DS/DD drive somewhere.

Terry Yager
October 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Yah, sounds like a custom ROM, but not to worry, it might still boot from a standard CP/M disk.
Definitely, next step is to install a working floppy drive and boot to it in order to determine the status of the HDD. If ya don't have any, bootdisks, grab the reload set from Dave's page:

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

--T

tone007
October 19th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and info, guys.

I'll probably be back with more questions after I find a working drive. :)