PDA

View Full Version : what can it be?

DJ ESKY
November 15th, 2004, 06:44 AM
hi there.
i have been collecting computers for about 3 years now and i have come accross a few weird finds.

i'm currently lost, i have some computers that no one i know can identify what they are.

i have this one that has extremely long slots they look like pci slots but they go for the whole length of the mainboard, its running with a 66Mhz dx2 486, SCSI HDD, floppy, and it was made in 1990.
can anyone tell me what it is? ? ?

curtis
November 15th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Pictures would be a BIG help, but from your description sounds like you're a describing VLB system of some sort.

Curtis

carlsson
November 16th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Or a MCA bus, but then it would say IBM all over. But yes, VLB looks much more like (reversed) PCI than MCA does. I used to think that only graphics cards came with the VLB extention, but somehow I think there might've been other uses too? Some motherboards have several such slots, and apart from offering alternatives where to fit the graphics card, I don't see the reason for several of these slots (as the VLB was tied to the CPU similarly to how the AGP is tied today?).

tachyon
November 16th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I know of VLB cacheing hard drive controllers and VLB SCSI cards. I've heard of, but not seen, VLB Network cards. But VLB (VESA Local Bus) was used most often for video cards.

Tachyon