PDA

View Full Version : apricot emulation

asteroid
November 16th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Im about Two-thirds of the way thru converting my 1984 British ACT Apricot Xi computer using a Mini ITX board, its going quite well although Im having a few headaches getting a USB keyboard inside the tiny Microscreen keyboard shell.

Its going to look all original when done apart from a 10" black SVGA monitor. and a laptop DVD drive fitted on the front.

Theres been a few rumours of Apricot support in MESS, the multi system emulator,

I hopefully going to get the roms off my Apricot's board dumped to help with this, wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this, or is able to dump roms from their Apricots or images of software, or technical info.

www.actapricot.org has a few mentions of this.

BTW, I am aware of a commerical Apricot emulator called APE, but its a bit expensive and doesnt run something like the Apricot's Activity GUI (which is more like a DOS shell acutally)

If you have never seen this machine before, Apricots are a range of small stylish business machines running MS-DOS or CP/M 86 (not IBM clones)

they have some weird quirky features, like LCD displays on the keyboards, 3.5" floppies (unusual outside of a Macintosh in 84) some of them had cordless keyboards and speech recognician too.

carlsson
November 16th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Yes, I know it. Apricot "F1" I think was the most known. I even have some Swedish computer magazines reviewing the Apricot series.

asteroid
November 17th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Hi Anders,

is it possible you get some scans of those ads from your Swedish magazines? www.actapricot.org would be interested in those.

there is precious few resources on the internet for Apricots.

Mitsubishi (who bought out Apricot and shut it down not long ago) have turned off the server with all the drivers and software for all Apricots recently :(

carlsson
November 18th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Sure, whenever I find the time and can remember. Too bad about killing off an acquired property, but it is not too uncommon - i.e. Compaq used to have a vast bank of software, manuals and technical tips about their older machines, but when HP took over, almost everything but the most basic stuff was wiped away in the move of servers.