PDA

View Full Version : IBM PS/2 Model 25

Zerothis
October 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I have one of these with a hard drive in it.
When I switched it on, the green power light flashed, then nothing. I opened it up and unplugged the power supply from the mother board and turned it on again. This time the light stayed lit and the fan under the monitor ran. So I plugged it all in again and powered up while it was open to see and hear if anything else would light or make a noise that I couldn't see when closed. After a second, A loud pop came from the power supply and I switched off immediately. Now the power supply smells burn. Does anybody have any suggestions on resources or actions to attempt at this point?

wmmullaney
October 28th, 2008, 10:45 AM
The same happened to my apple II, you got to open the PS, then replace the blown cap. It is a motherboard issue on my computer, so I can't fix it. Not sure about the ps/2.

Terry Yager
October 28th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Does anybody have any suggestions on resources or actions to attempt at this point?

As a Certified BombWieldingAnarchist(tm), I would recommend nothing larger than a hand grenade.

--T

tezza
October 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM
A loud pop came from the power supply and I switched off immediately. Now the power supply smells burn. Does anybody have any suggestions on resources or actions to attempt at this point?

Yep, sounds like a burst capacitor in the power supply. Not an uncommon occurrence if the machine hasn't been fired up for years.

Some of these old Power Supply Units (PSU) can be hard to get into. My PS/2 model 30-286 requires a special screwdriver. They don't make it easy!

Some caps are not that important. For example, I've had RF (radio frequency) suppressor caps blow in my Osborne and BBC b. I replaced them in the Osborne (it was easy) but the PSU of the BBC was obviously not designed to work on. So I just left them. It works fine, but probably throws out more RF that it should. No-one lives close by so it shouldn't annoy the neighbours.

It may be a different (and more important) cap that blew in your PS/2 PSU though.

Tez

Druid6900
October 28th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Try turning it on again. If it works, don't worry about it, if it doesn't, replace the cap.