PDA

View Full Version : Apollo / HP machines.

afleetcommand
November 8th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I have a running HP/Apollo 400T and would like to bring it back to life as a Domain based system. Anyone have a build where I can format a disk and load up Domain?

tipc
December 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM
try classiccmp.org mailing list.

I recently obtained an Apollo mobo on eBay. Functional state unknown. It's a pretty vanilla 680x0 based machine w/1 big black ASIC. Have a rusty old generic AT case out in the yard. Got to wet sand the rust off, repaint it, and think about mounting it in that. Had a guy offer me some Apollo equipment, but like everything else it's in blasted California, so shipping is prohibitive w/my current pay-rate...

afleetcommand
January 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
The 400T is a 68000 machine...is built tank tough! Just need a Disk with an OS! They were a fun machine in their day and the Domain IX was an awesome local area networking OS! Still looking...

Unknown_K
January 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Didn't the OS come on a bunch of tapes? Do you have a tape drive?

Lohmeyer
January 6th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Yes, the OS for those old HP/Apollo machine came on cartridge tape - no CD ROM or other "easy" media. Also, the pre-HP machines used either cartridge tape, or 8 inch floppy. I have several sets of floppies for Domain/OS, and some engineering software, but no Domain/OS tapes. I used to have an Apollo DN660 which is what the floppies were for, but none of that software will work on the newer HP/Apollo machines. Finding the tape drive is probably the easy part. Finding the tapes may be the hard part.

afleetcommand
January 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Yes as was mentioned most media at that time for those late 1980.s early 1990's HP and Apollo's were those "dat" tapes and those larger Tape Cartrigdes. I have both devices for my Apollo and HP's.

One thing I did as an AE was to "daisy chain" a disk drive and either boot to the new drive & copy after formating the old one or with some machines do a "dd" copy. Those old HP-IB interfaces were nice and those later SCSI machines were even better for that type of thing. I just have forgotten how to setup the disk and drivers in /dev/ in my old age.

likhary
January 8th, 2009, 02:55 AM
yup, that's a pretty vanilla 680x0 based machine w/1 big black ASIC. Have a rusty old generic AT case out in the yard. Got to wet sand the rust off, repaint it, and think about mounting it in that.

Lohmeyer
January 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I did some looking for web sites about the old Apollo machines, but the Internet seems to be dead regarding them. Did I miss something? Is there really no archive of manuals and software, or collection of these things aside from the odd museum piece. I still have a DN660 chassis and some boards, though not a complete working machine (I sold the working machine a long time ago). I used to manage the Apollo computers at my college where we ran Mentor Graphics software for circuit and IC design. We had everything from a few DN100's up to DN4000 HP/Apollo machines. The university eventually gave me the original DN660 (it was their first Apollo - and the machine that started me on Unix and big mainframes) because they didn't care about it anymore. I also had a DN560 (which used cartridge tapes), but that too I sold long ago, including all the software.

I found some 150 MB tape cartridges last night in a box, but none of them contained Domain/OS or any Apollo software. So I'm pretty sure all I have are random 8 inch floppies of Domain/OS stuff and Mentor graphics - all floppies which were marked "ok to erase" as they were not the most recent version of the software. So they may not be complete sets.

Unknown_K
January 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.hpmuseum.net/

There is a bunch of information and software there, but no DOMAIN OS imaghes (figured you would have found it using google or I would have posted it earlier).

I would love a 400S, but the odds of finding one around here complete are next to impossible.

tenox
January 31st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Seems these people have working Apollo:

http://museum.dyne.org/index.php/Online/en

bear
September 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
So I'm pretty sure all I have are random 8 inch floppies of Domain/OS stuff and Mentor graphics - all floppies which were marked "ok to erase" as they were not the most recent version of the software. So they may not be complete sets.

Lohmeyer - I've got an incomplete set of SR8.0 floppies and what might be a relatively full set of 8" floppies corresponding to an SR9.2ish release..?

If you still have these disks I would be interested in comparing notes and perhaps pooling resources. Let me know. Thanks!