PDA

View Full Version : Xtra professional series

JT64
November 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I just received my CF adapter.

So i just went down in cellar picked up my PC XT it is an ITT with horizontal 8-bit isa slots. There seem to be a vertical card from motherboard that support 4 isa cards (8-bit). I will attach pics tomorrow, i could not find any spec sheet on this on internet.

The 8-bit IDE controller is an ADP50L.

I also found a 16-bit ISA grapiccard that i am very curious about it seem to incorporate a music chip?

The mainchips is a WD90C11-LR and a VGA BIOS, but there is also a chip named MUSIC TR9C1710-xxxxx (need googles) and some upper isa extension pins on the card. Anyone have an idea about what this card could be about?

Publish pictures on the stuff tomorrow.

JT

Chuck(G)
November 10th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Music Semiconductors was an IC manufacturer. The chip you cite is part of the VGA circuitry; it's the palette lookup RAM and a triple DAC.

Datasheet here (http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/128496/ETC/TR9C1710-11E.html)

Nothing at all to do with sound.

JT64
November 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Music Semiconductors was an IC manufacturer. The chip you cite is part of the VGA circuitry; it's the palette lookup RAM and a triple DAC.

Datasheet here (http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/128496/ETC/TR9C1710-11E.html)

Nothing at all to do with sound.

Here is pictures of the 16-bit graphiccard, 8-bit controller,8-bit motherboard and ports, do you know the brand of graphiccard will it work in 8-bit ISA bus?

Chuck(G)
November 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Looks like a generic VGA card from the Far East using a WD controller chip. There were so many of these. I think I have a card that's the spitting image of this one (even with the "VGA BIOS" PROM), except that it uses a Tsenglabs controller.

Will it work in an 8-bit slot? I dunno--but it won't hurt to try. Some 16 bit cards will; others won't.

JT64
March 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
I've been running my Xtra for a couple of months, recently added VGA card and monitor work like charm.

I've noticed from start that the VGA card only sent out monochrome signal but i was thinking it was due to the switches on back side, and since i've only been using it for DOS i did not take care of it.

Today however i installed the drivers for my SB16 and really did need a color monitor for the mixerset application. The SB16 seem to initialize though.

So i started to fiddle with the 5 switches on the VGA card.
The one to the left must be up to get picture at all, the other ones do not affect the mode at all if up or down?

So my guess is the color mode goes out to the onboard CGA circuit, and i guess there must be a jumper somewhere on the motherboard.

If i open the machine up and take a good photo would you guys be able to identify the jumper?

JT

Chuck(G)
March 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Sounds as if you have the old "Monitor ID" problem your monitor's VGA connector.

ID bit 0 = pin 11
ID bit 1 = pin 12
ID bit 2 = pin 4
ID bit 3 = pin 15 (not often used)

ID bit 0 and ID bit 2 grounded: Dual frequency analog color interlaced (8514 or compatible) or variable frequency analog color interlaced.

ID bit 0 grounded, ID bit 2 not connected: Fixed frequency analog color (8512, 8513, or compatible) or variable frequency analog color non-interlaced.

ID bit 0 not connected, ID bit 2 grounded: Fixed frequency analog monochrome (8503 or compatible) or variable frequency analog monochrome.

Note that these are on the monitor connector and that their use today is largely deprecated. But old cards care about them. Try making sure that pin 11 is grounded.

JT64
March 3rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Sounds as if you have the old "Monitor ID" problem your monitor's VGA connector.

ID bit 0 = pin 11
ID bit 1 = pin 12
ID bit 2 = pin 4

ID bit 0 and ID bit 2 grounded: Dual frequency analog color interlaced (8514 or compatible) or variable frequency analog color interlaced.

ID bit 0 grounded, ID bit 2 not connected: Fixed frequency analog color (8512, 8513, or compatible) or variable frequency analog color non-interlaced.

ID bit 0 not connected, ID bit 2 grounded: Fixed frequency analog monochrome (8503 or compatible) or variable frequency analog monochrome.

Note that these are on the monitor connector and that their use today is largely deprecated. But old cards care about them. Try making sure that pin 11 is grounded.

I suddenly stuck by lightning realised that "switch 5 in up" probably is the monochrome mode.........

I probably need to test the other switches to get the monitor sync in correct VGA mode. First i thougt it was 4!=24 but they do not need to be unique I guess that is 12 positions to try *not fair*.

Anyone have a guess about the settings for the 4 other switches.
I will try them tomorrow anyhow but if anyone have a qualified guess go for it.

JT

JT64
March 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM

ID bit 0 = pin 11
ID bit 1 = pin 12
ID bit 2 = pin 4

Today i actually tested "most" of the switch positions although there was signal monitor was not even close to synch.

And now i start to think you are correct, maybe the card somehow recognize type of VGA monitor.

You suggest that pin 11 and 4 goes to the ground? Is ground a pin or the VGA pin enclosure? I'm pretty louse with electronics.

Another thought could the monochrome mode be related to the fact it is a 16-bit card in 8-bit slot?

JT

Chuck(G)
March 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Here's a description of VGA pinouts. (http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml)

The problem that crops up is that your card is pre-VESA DDC and uses pin 12 the old way, which means that it looks like a mono VGA monitor.

While this might be because you're using a 16-bit card in an 8-bit slot, there's also the monitor ID problem. Try the card in a 16-bit slot with the same monitor.

If it is the "monitor ID" pins, you have a couple of options.

If you're game, you can disconnect pin 12 (temporarily) on your VGA cable and see if you get color.

Long term, the solution is to make up your own cable for the card.