PDA

View Full Version : Raytheon VT302 - Interesting 8085 Computer

billdeg
November 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I could not find any pictures of the Raytheon VT302 on the web, so I have put up some of my own recent pictures.
http://vintagecomputer.net/raytheon/VT302/

It would be nice to back up the one working disk I have, it seems like there are no others in existance. The controller is a TEC FDD CNT HEIID029020 and the drive is 5 1/4" - I need to get a catweasel and so on.

Bill

Terry Yager
November 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Too Kewwl! does it run CP/M, or what?

--T

NobodyIsHere
November 17th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Hi Bill,
What sort of floppy drives does it use? Are the 100tpi, 96tpi, 48tpi?

Any ideas on the format? Are they hard sector or soft sector floppy disks?

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

NathanAllan
November 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM
What a neat computer!! What does the whole rear of the machine look like? Raytheon is here near Bliss, too, I may see if I can snag something like this. 8085? Isn't that close to 30 years old? It's in great shape! Is it Raytheon branded?

tezza
November 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Interesting. That's a design you don't see every day.

Tez

wmmullaney
November 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Awesome look to that thing! Really cool.

Chuckster_in_Jax
November 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I could not find any pictures of the Raytheon VT302 on the web, so I have put up some of my own recent pictures.
http://vintagecomputer.net/raytheon/VT302/
Bill

I remember seeing a Raytheon on eBay within the last 4 - 6 months. I would have bid on it, but I could never find any information about it on the web. I was really torn on whether to bid or not. It looked like a really unusual computer. As I remember it was also a big machine.

billdeg
November 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Sorry 'bout the late reply...

I don't know much about the drives and software. yet.

I bought it on Ebay, the seller lives nearby, he dropped it off. I paid $25.

The pics show the Raytheon brand and name plate.

The drive doors look different, not standard Tandon/Shugarts/Microlis/MPI. I can only speculate at this point, but I'd guess TEAC drives, Japanese copies/clones. but clone
of what? Now you have me curious...I will check asap.

billdeg
November 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Bill,
What sort of floppy drives does it use? Are the 100tpi, 96tpi, 48tpi?

Any ideas on the format? Are they hard sector or soft sector floppy disks?

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Soft Sector.

I am only guessing beyond that. I need a strategy for reading a completey unknown disk format. There is a boot ROM to be read pe haps.

I doubt this is a CP/M 8085 system. I speculate it's meant as a word processor with disk storage, and I bet it was marketed as a competitor to the IBM Display Writer.

NobodyIsHere
November 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM
Hi Bill,
I would try disk analysis with IMD from Dave Dunfield. It is freely available and pretty good for soft sector disks.

If you get a chance, pull the drives and search for a label. That will tell you what sort of drive it is and TPI information.

Most likely it is 48 tpi soft sector but that is just a guess. IMD should have no problem with it.

If not, I'd use the Catweasel to dig deeper but I doubt it will be necessary.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch