PDA

View Full Version : Amiga 500 - Bad Mouse?

Crawford
December 1st, 2008, 03:00 AM
Folks,

I finally got a Workbench 1.3 diskette for my Amiga 500. Now when it boots into the desktop, the main window just flickers rapidly, with no action from the mouse. If I boot without the mouse plugged in, it does not flicker, but of course a GUI w/o a mouse is useless.

I replaced the micro-switches on the mouse thinking it might be something simple, but no dice. The mouse was clean and spotless inside when I changed the switches.

Is there anything else I can try before hunting for another mouse?

Thanks.

Terry Yager
December 1st, 2008, 09:46 AM
Bad wire on the mouse? I've seen this fault more than any other with meeses. With it booted up, try wiggling the wire, especially at the junctions where it goes into the body of the rodent, and at the other end where it meets the jack. All the bending back & forth at those points can break the wires inside the insulation, where it's not visible.

--T

Crawford
December 30th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Terry,

Yes, it was the mouse cable wires that had gone bad. I replaced it with a loaner from a local friend, and that mouse works fine. Now I need to do the surgery to replace the wires on my mouse.

BTW, I found out something you should never ever do - plug an IBM PC serial mouse into an Amiga! I did this out of desperation, and after a couple of minutes, started smelling a strong 'melted plastic' smell from the back of the Amiga. I was sure I toasted my serial port, but as I said above, a substitute mouse worked.

Cheers,
Crawford

carlsson
December 30th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Whoa! The 8520 chips are easy to damage, in case the joystick/mouse ports are managed by those chips.

However if a spare PC serial mouse has all nine leads connected, you could probably cut off the cable inside the mouse and rewire it to work on the Amiga.

barythrin
December 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I can't remember what versions of Workbench allow it but if you don't have a mouse, you can usually use the number bad as arrow keys to move the mouse around. Not very convenient but it works (I remember that on an Amiga 2000, but can't recall using that on an A1000 or A500).

carlsson
December 30th, 2008, 08:03 AM
You can use the cursor keys starting from OS 2.X which typically equals an Amiga 500+, 600, 1200, 3000 or 4000. Perhaps even 2000 were shipped with OS 2.04 or newer. If I recall correctly, you hold down the right Amiga key + cursor key to move the pointer. Shift + Amiga for faster movement.