PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading an Amiga 3000

Kaptain Skitzo
December 12th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Well, I've finally gotten a replacement MB for my Amiga 3000....it's in pretty good shape(was missing some chips, but the ones in my old unit are fine, and newer)...only problem is, it's a 16Mhz board. My old one is a 25Mhz board.

I noticed one of the clock crystals on the 16Mhz board is rated at 32Mhz, while the same crystal on the 25Mhz board is 50mhz. I figure I know why...because it has 2 chips to handle.

If I replace that crystal (or, swap them, if you will), and set the jumpers to 25Mhz, will the only problem be heat related on the 16Mhz chips? I remember something about testing the chips for their speed rating(done at the factory). Since I'm really not going to be using the computer for more than a few hours at a time, a heat problem won't be much of an issue(unless it's going to burn them out).

What I'm looking to avoid, is having to unsolder those 16Mhz chips, and replacing them with the 25s out of my old one...since it will entail WAY more work than it's worth. Why Commodore didn't socket those chips is beyond me(how easy would that be to do, anyway?).

Oh, the reason I'm having to replace the MB is due to battery damage. It's fairly deep and causing me major video problems. The new board has very little damage.
I'll be posting a picture(as soon as I can put it up on the net) on how to protect your motherboard against battery damage. It's a pretty easy little solution.

Thanks!

Kaptain Skitzo
December 12th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Here's the pic...sorry about the size.

http://home.comcast.net/~johnandrose3000/wsb/media/323406/site1027.JPG

Basicly what you do is un-solder the battery, solder wires into the holes, solder the other ends to the battery. Place the battery into either a small medicine bottle, or a film canister.

If the battery starts to leak, you'll have plenty of time to get a replacement installed before it starts damaging the motherboard.

carlsson
December 13th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Dunno about the crystal swap, but I would assume one reason why the chip is not socketed is because it was not meant to be replaced (or if it breaks, service should be done by a professional). Also, Commodore always liked to cost reduce their stuff after a first generation of socketed machines. Are the boards in other means identical? Don't you have to swap the CPUs too?

Kaptain Skitzo
December 13th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Heh...I almost want to call Geeks On Call, or just take it to a generic repair center...just to watch the look on their faces.

I'm researching this from various angles...if I find a definitive answer before it's posted here, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Kaptain Skitzo
December 13th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Well...I did something kinda stupid...I allowed a "friend" to help me remove the Static Zips from the old MB(He's not allowed NEAR the machine again....probably not even near the HOUSE again...) But he was getting cocky because he was getting them out(a couple of bent pins here and there, but no biggy there)...then he broke 2 pins off of one of the chips. I kept cautioning him that they are delicate....

Water under the bridge....

Does anyone know where I can pick up some spares? I checked E-Bay(where I got the Motherboard)...but no luck. I'd prefer to just replace the destroyed chip, but I'll go with a set if needed.