PDA

View Full Version : Vintage-computer.com gets a mention on CNN!

Erik
December 12th, 2004, 10:58 AM
CNN has a magazine style show called NEXT@CNN that has a gaming theme this week. Included is, of course, a discussion of vintage gaming and what the kids today think of the old stuff.

It’s funny to see the old Atari X-Wing run side-by-side with the modern version.

About 20 minutes into the show is a “bump” for the 30th anniversary of the Altair computer featuring a machine from my collection including a shot from this year's VCF!

The website is also featured in the credits for a "special thanks."

Erik

Jorg
December 12th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Congratulations!

That must feel good- and you certainly deserved it

Rick Ethridge
December 12th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Good for you! Rick Ethridge

vic user
December 13th, 2004, 04:11 AM
cool!

is there any link to the show at all?

chris

Erik
December 13th, 2004, 05:15 AM
cool!

is there any link to the show at all?

chris

I don't think you can get streaming video of the show. There's a writeup about the show in general (not this specific episode) at the CNN website. . .

I've got it taped but I'm not sure if I can post it. I'd have to check first.

Erik

mbarton
January 3rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
I'd be interested to know if this mention gets any extra traffic for the site. I've been mentioned in the associated press (which means that probably hundreds of newspapers ran the article) but didn't generate any extra traffic, or, more important, any new members whatsoever.

There seems to be a definite division between web-types who hunt down a forum like this and folks watching TV a lot.

Erik
January 4th, 2005, 05:24 AM
It was a fairly quick mention and I didn't expect it to generate any traffic.

If it did, I'm not aware of it! :)

Erik

carlsson
January 4th, 2005, 10:12 AM
In case you get a whole lot of "guests" on the forum all of a sudden, it may be a scrit worm trying to exploit the latest known bugs in phpBB (see elsewhere), not genuine visitors admiring your work. :x

tachyon
January 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM
In case you get a whole lot of "guests" on the forum all of a sudden, it may be a scrit worm trying to exploit the latest known bugs in phpBB (see elsewhere), not genuine visitors admiring your work. :x

Erik has already upgraded to the current version which was released to deal with those exploits. See the version number at the bottom of the page.

Tachyon