PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Motorola HEP KIT Educator II

gonewithglory
December 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Hello,
I have a Motorola HEP KIT Educator II and I have not been able to find a User's Guide fo it. Does anyone know where I can find a copy? Any info on how to program it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

VintageComputerman
December 3rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
This one?

http://www.charlieanderson.com/images/Various/what.jpg

http://www.charlieanderson.com/images/Various/educationIImanual.JPG

gonewithglory
December 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
yes.
I have even emailed the owner of the site http://www.charlieanderson.com/virtual_pc_museum.htm and have gotten no reply.

gonewithglory
December 4th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Any suggestions on what other websites I should post this question to so that I could find somebody who has a copy of this manual or knows how to program this microcomputer.

Any help is highly appreciated.

gonewithglory
December 12th, 2008, 08:23 PM
any suggestions?

Chuck(G)
December 12th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Can't help you with an instruction book, but how about a product annoucement? from June, 1977 IEEE Computer (http://www.sydex.com/temp/ic0677np.pdf)

(I'll leave it up until Monday)

gonewithglory
December 15th, 2008, 09:30 AM
thanks, Chuck, for the article. It is very informative. Is it ok if I paste the article in this forum?

thanks

Chuck(G)
December 15th, 2008, 10:14 AM
thanks, Chuck, for the article. It is very informative. Is it ok if I paste the article in this forum?

thanks

Okay by me. Happy to be of some help.

I hadn't realized that there were "HEP" versions of the 6800. I remember the HEP kits very well--one was my introduction to (RTL) logic ICs.

I think that as far as evaluation kits for the 6800 went, the MEK6800D2 was the most popular, having a hex keyboard and display, along with a serial interface.

gonewithglory
December 16th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Below is a short description of the Motorola HEP Educator II kit from the IEEE article:
Motorola offers new NMOS microcomputer kit, Educator 11 Motorola's HEP/MRO Operations group has introduced an 8-bit microcomputer system in kit form. Called the Educator II, the kit contains an NMOS 8-bit MPU, PIA,
128x8-bit static RAM, two TTL 512x4-bit ROMs, and a TTL clock circuit. The NMOS components are the HEP versions of the M6800 microcomputer products. Educator II utilizes the full instruction set and address modes of the MC6800 MPU. The clock frequency is approximately 625 kHz. An executive program, residing in the ROMs, contains routines for examining
and modifying memory locations and MPU registers, servicing interrupts, transferring programs to and from cassette tapes, searching tapes for specific programs, and testing the finished kit. The executive uses 14 bytes of RAM for a scratchpad; the remaining 114 bytes are for user programs. An optional 128x8-bit RAM can be added to the pc board for larger user
programs. Educator II is housed in an aluminum case. Front panel toggle switches and LEDs are used to enter and display machine code. Edge connectors on the pc board provide an interface to the PIA and standard CRT display equipment. Its input power requirements are +12 Vdc at 1.1 (with all lamps on) or 100 mA (when all lamps are off), -12 Vdc at 20 mA, and
+5 Vdc at 700 mA. The equipment sells complete for $1500 in single unit quantities, FOB Irvine, California. Reader Service Number 18 address, data, and control busses for system expansion. According to Motorola,
accessories planned for the near future include a keyboard kit, video display kit, a module card rack and power supply, memory modules, and applications programs on cassettes. Educator II retails for $169.95 and is available from selected Motorola HEP and MRO distributors and other distributors, nationally. A comprehensive construction/instruction manual is included with the kit. The additional 128x8-bit RAM is $19.04; a power supply designed specifically for Educator II is also available for $29.95.

gonewithglory
December 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I think this is a vintage kit that is not well documented on the web. I would like to finally be able to program it and document it for historical purposes.

Chuck(G)
December 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Did your unit include a power supply? If not, then a regulated 5v supply should probably do the trick. You might be able to figure out the way the switches operate if it comes alive when power is applied.

charlie262
December 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Please contact me for info...

charlie262 @ gmail

jpratch
January 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Dear Gonewithglory;

The good news is that I have one of these Motorola HEP KIT Educator II kits (I bought it many years ago at a surplus store in West Covina, California while on a business trip. It came with just the circuit card and components, but no chassis.) I have not built it yet. Additionally, I do have the Assembly and Operation manual shown so badly mangled in the photo above. The bad news is that I'm not sure exactly where I have the beast stored in my attic/garage. Please communicate with me off board and when I find it, I'll copy or scan the manual for you.

Best regards,
John

gonewithglory
January 14th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks, John.

Charlie has very graciously copied the manual and sent me a copy. I am in the process of reading and understanding the functionality of the HEP KIT Educator. So far, some functions do not seem to work as mentioned in the manual. I hope it is my mistake and not a problem with the kit.

regards
Rastam