PDA

View Full Version : what do you use yours for?

rebeltaz
December 7th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I'm just curious... what do you guys use your VIC-20s and C64s for these days?

Unknown_K
December 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Games, what else?

One of these days I will finish my AD&D Pools of Radiance on the C64 (one of the few boxed games I have for it). I played it originally on the C64 and got to the end but I guess something was messed up and I could not win. So a decade and a half later I snagged a boxed copy just to finish it on the C64 (when I get around to it). I have most of those AD&D games boxed for the Amiga, and one compilation set for the PC.

NathanAllan
December 7th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Games, mostly. Every now and again I will hook up either the Vic or C64 as a full office suite and print out random papers, but that's not very often at all. I need more games for them, I only have a handful of carts and no disks at all. Looking for them all over.

tezza
December 8th, 2008, 12:47 AM

Mine just go on show now and again. Either for my own enjoyment or to show others a slice of computing history.

Tez

Luzur
December 8th, 2008, 04:42 AM
games and bragging :P

Vint
December 8th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Like going back to your first car - it's fun to just drive them around a bit - brings back the memories of more simple times. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Internet, even with the high cost of high speed, fancy inkjet printers, (as compared to my old Commodore MPS803 printer), scanners that even OCR, gigantuous hard drives, - - but a 4 minute boot time and this -

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=189

is a might much compared to the simple needs of a Commodore. Things always get more 'complicated' with newer times. For instances yesterday I paid $300. for 'repairs' on my modern day car. That's $100. more than the price of the 1955 Chevy my dad bought for me back in the early 60's. It was rusty and worn but it was only $200. for a whole car! I didn't have much money back then, but gas was only 29.9 cents a gallon and cigarettes were 27 cents a pack out of a vending machine. (You inserted a quarter and a nickel and wrapped in the cigarette pack's cellophane were 3 pennies change!) At my local 'watering hole' I could get a quart of Blatz beer for 50 cents, and 3 plays on the jukebox for only 25 cents.
Things are always going to seem easier, simpler, and less complicated when you look back. We have a tendency to forget any of the 'bad' stuff and only retain the 'good' stuff. Nostalgia is like a filter that way :)

VIC-20's, Plus/4's, C-64's, and C-128's will carry-on, as long as we do.

Yzzerdd
December 8th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I've never used a Commodore, but when I made a trip to KY, I met someone who uses theirs in conjunction with a teletype. He's also got a complete Sinclair(he's owned since new...is an engineer, so he never threw anything away) of some sort he uses to type papers, visit BBSes, etc.

--Jack

Bungo Pony
December 9th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Use mine to run demos that I download off the internet. I could use an emulator, but running it on the real thing just makes it more amazing.

gerrydoire
December 9th, 2008, 04:33 AM
This isn't vintage material but...

I use Photoshop alot on my computer, for some reason at random the program would suddenly gag, look at processes, nothing out of the ordinary, except Photoshop is acting as if the cpu was gagging for its life or there was no memory.

After uninstalling AVG and Java Console, the problem stopped.... computer in use is a Quod Core with 3 cores on XP.

The virus scanner was not scanning a hd when the slowdowns occured, somehow one or both of these programs were interferring with Photoshop at random intervals or inteferring with another process that was interferring with Photoshop, how do you say spaghetti code from hell.

Has anyone run into a similar situation?

gerrydoire
December 9th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Bring back their lost youth... :rolleyes:

wmmullaney
December 9th, 2008, 09:32 AM
So does this mean you got it working?

rebeltaz
December 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
So does this mean you got it working?

Unfortunately, no. I have a VIC-20 that I am using right now, but I'm having problems with the C-64. The first time I plugged it in and turned it on, the screen was green but the system never booted. Then the red power LED went out. I resoldered the power input connector and the power switch and the LED is staying on now, but when I turn it on the screen goes black. I even tried taking video off the component video output with the same outcome. I tried removing and reseating the socketed ICs as well.

I read here somewhere where that signified a possibly bad PLA chip.

I was aggravated at the time, so I haven't tried turning it on and off rapidly to see what happens, but I will. Any other ideas would be great.

BTW - if the PLA chip is bad, where can I get a replacement? Or is there a replacement?

Druid6900
December 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Talk to Channelmaniac, he's got the parts and the experience in 64s

carlsson
December 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Like all the others, I test and run software on my Commodores (like any other vintage computer for that matter). Both old and new software, both games and demos, both own made and things I downloaded. But I don't have any vintage computer dedicated for any particular task, if you're thinking in terms of usefulness.

I do all my programming on a modern PC, likewise for composing music, drawing any graphics, word processing, spread sheets, surfing the net etc etc. Some of those tasks could to a certain extent be carried out on an older computer, but these days it would be more of a proof of concept than practically useful. At least if I'm intending to use or send the final result to somebody else. I mean geoWrite probably is awfully cool but I doubt its documents will render so well in a modern Office package.

wmmullaney
December 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I'v got the same problem with one of my 64s, powers on but no signs of activity.