PDA

View Full Version : FTP Server on 486DX 2

frozenfire75i
December 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM
This may sound like a totally dumb ? (from me) but I need some help setting up the file server on the 486DX 2 66 Mhz eduquest's?

If I pick win 95, that would run nice but maybe a bit slow on a 486 however I have about 15gb of file's I would like to host and with windows 95 I think the limt is 2gb a par.

If I pick windows 98, I would think it will run too slow on a 486? any one done it? With 98 I don't have to worry about the drive size's.

I think a 20GB drive would be plenty, I don't how the eduquest's would handle the 20GB HDD. With the BIOS and what not. ain't there programs out there to fool old computers?

What would be a good ftp server program to run on top the 95 or 98... I am pretty sure the eduquest's will take 64 MB ram and any IDE CD-ROM drive!

Jorg
December 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Does it have to be windows?
FREESCO will not have a problem with it and comes with ftp server. Configuring is *very* easy.

You need 16 MB RAM and a floppy...

http://www.freesco.info/index.php?id=o

frozenfire75i
December 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Ya I would really like it to be windows so I can log in and send stuff to it from my vista box.
However that is pretty tempting.... one floppy and you got an FTP server!

Does it have to be windows?
FREESCO and an add on FTP server will not have a problem with it.

NathanAllan
December 13th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Win95 is not that rough on a 486 with a dedicated purpose like that. As long as you indeed dedicate it to that, and not run things like Word, graphical games and such. You should be okay. Win98 is a bit much for that kind of proc, though.

FREESCO seconded.

Make sure your ROUTER or gateway will let you run an FTP server. 2wire modem/routers do NOT unless you route it through port 80 (I think). I haven't expero\imented much with mine yet. :(

Nathan

Jorg
December 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM
You could also think of NT 4 I think, that should run.

frozenfire75i
December 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
OMG or NT 4 server I am so dumb..... I did not think about that and i have it...

You could also think of NT 4 I think, that should run.

Unknown_K
December 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
You would probably have more issues with the 486 bios/hd controllers then the OS with a HD bigger then 2GB.

Windows 95A was fat16 (like DOS) and you are stuck with 2GB partitions
95B,C have fat32 support and that can do 32GB I think using the MS formatting utility.

Best bet is to try LINUX that works on a 486, I think it bypasses the bios all together so that might use the whole HD. It would also most likely have built in FTP services.