PDA

View Full Version : DEC Professional Series 350 Monitor/Keyboard

Kaypro
December 14th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Hello all,

I have in my possession a DEC Professional Series 350. It's in excellent shape, but has a problem: It's missing it's Monitor and Keyboard. I've found that it uses a DEC LK201 keyboard, but I haven't been able to find much information on what type of Monitor requires. Examination of the port marked "Display" reveals that it appears to be visually similar to the DEC rainbow's Display port.

My question is this, what model of Monitor does it need?

Micom 2000
December 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM
It uses the same keyboard and monitors that the Rainbow uses. The LK 201 as you've discovered, and the mono VR201 or if it is color-enabled the VR241-A. The monitor cables are the mono BCC02 15pin on each end or the color BCCC17 with a 15pin on the computer end and a box wth a telephone type socket for the KB and 3 RBG bnc leads on the monitor end. The LK201 and VR201 are somewhat available but the VR241 and it's cable very hard to find. The VR201 is an 11" monitor and the VR241 a 14". It's possible there are other monitors for them but after many years have found no reference to them.
You can find some stuff includng a FAQ on the PRO on the Swedish Upsala site.

ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/professional/

Lawrence

Kaypro
December 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks Micom, that site´s a big help. Time to go hunting for a VR201 and an LK201...

Terry Yager
December 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Can you hang a dumb terminal off it?

--T

Micom 2000
December 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Since it's a DEC, one would imagine so. It has both a serial and parallel port and another unique 13pin female port labeled "NET". It used the same processor chip as the the PDP-11, (LSI-11 ?), but used an OS called POS(often described as "Piece of Shxt"). I believe it could also use RT-11. One of the ways to get around a password problem on the HD was to use "Putr" , the PDP emulator to erase the password file. A process which I have yet to bridge on my 350 HDD. It could be used with a VAX, with the proper upgrade.

How one would approach it with a dumb terminal is well beyond my capabilities and require the disconnection of the HDD I imagine to get past the PW. Copies of POS are available on the I-net. Then one must have floppy disks formatted for DEC floppy density, which you can do on 2nd generation Rainbows, but not on the Pro.

Lawrence

DEChead
December 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I thought Pro/350 used the F-11 chipset?

And yes, it can run P/OS, RT-11, or VenturCom's Venix. If you're running Venix, the root password is "gnomes" but I have no clue if that'll help.

VR201 monitors can be hard to find, but VT-220 and VT-240 terminals pop up often enough on the eBay - VR201's were components of those guys to. You don't see them for sale every day but if you check regularly they will pop up before several months have gone by.

Lou - N2MIY
December 18th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yes, the pro350 uses an F-11. The pro380 uses a J-11.

Lou

computer_recovery
January 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM
I have a VR201-C monitor in good all around working condition..Also a heap of rainbow software....

PrintStar
February 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
I have a VR201-C monitor in good all around working condition..Also a heap of rainbow software....

Are you offering up this heap for sale? :)

PrintStar
February 2nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
The computer uses the VR201 or VR241, but the monochrome signal should just be a composite signal. If you had the pinouts, you could make an adapter to use any composite monitor with the Pro. The keyboards (LK201, LK401, etc.) are a bit easier to find as most of the VT series used them as well. If you do make a composite adapter, you'll need to add the keyboard port as it is also contained in the video port.

Beware if you do use a DEC monitor as the pinouts on the Pro video port are not the same as the Rainbow, although they are similar in appearance. You'll need to make sure to use Pro video cables, not Rainbow cables.

computer_recovery
February 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
The computer uses the VR201 or VR241, but the monochrome signal should just be a composite signal. If you had the pinouts, you could make an adapter to use any composite monitor with the Pro. The keyboards (LK201, LK401, etc.) are a bit easier to find as most of the VT series used them as well. If you do make a composite adapter, you'll need to add the keyboard port as it is also contained in the video port.

Beware if you do use a DEC monitor as the pinouts on the Pro video port are not the same as the Rainbow, although they are similar in appearance. You'll need to make sure to use Pro video cables, not Rainbow cables.

Speaking of making adapters!! Does anyone here specialize in that cuz I have some custom orders I need fabricated.. I will bater or pay..

Let me no and I will send spec on cable adapters..

computer_recovery
February 2nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
The monitor is spoken for..But the Heap is is Fantastic condition in original boxes.. Here is a taste:

Grapkic labs / multi plan / 2.1 ms-dos operating system/regis

Micom 2000
February 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM

Not quite true. The cables involved are the DEC BCC02, BCC03, and BCC17. I've used the BCC02 and VR201 on both my DEC Pro 350 and my Rainbow in mono. Here is a posting from some forum or newsgroup

.................................................. .................................................
> 3) My Pro380 cable (bcc03-o6) won't work with RB, what's wrong ??
> The pin orders seemed to be quite the same.

The Rainbow uses a BCC17 cable with the VR241 color monitor, NOT the BCC03 cable used by the Professional, DECmate and VT241 terminal. -- Here in the United States, Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) is selling the BCC17-6 cable for $56 US.

BCC03 and BCC17 cables
======================
The following data was extracted from the PDP-11 Systems And Options Catalog,
October - December 1984 (DEC part number ED-26049-41), page 4-19.

The cables consist of three 30 AWG coax cables and four 20-AWG stranded
conductors with a 38 AWG tinned copper braid shield. The connectors are:

P1 = 15 position D subminiature
P2 = keyboard plug
P3 = "B" BNC
P4 = "G" BNC
P5 = "R" BNC

The wiring is:

P1-1 -- P3 coax shield
P1-2 -- P4 coax shield
P1-3 -- P5 coax shield
P1-4 -- --------------
P1-5 -- P1-13 jumper
P1-6 -- P2-3 conductor
P1-7 -- --------------
P1-8 -- P2-2 conductor
P1-9 -- P3 coax center
P1-10 -- P4 coax center in BCC03 only -- nothing in BCC17
P1-11 -- P5 coax center
P1-12 -- P4 coax center in BCC17 only -- nothing in BCC03
P1-13 -- P1-5 jumper
P1-14 -- P2-1 conductor
P1-15 -- P2-4 conductor

Rainbow keyboard / monitor connector (J3)
=========================================
The following pin assignments for the Rainbow keyboard/monitor connector were
extracted from "PC100 Mother Board" skematic (DEC drawing size D, code CS,
number 5415486-0-1, revision E) which is included in the "PC100 Field Maintenace Print Set (DEC part number MP-01491-00). The assignments are also listed in the Rainbow 100 Technical Manual (DEC part number EK-PC100-TM-001), table 3-6 on page 3-22 except that table shows the keyboard data flowing in directions opposite that shown on the skematic and listed below.

The BCC02 monochrome cable wiring was obtained by inspecting that cable. BCC03 and BCC17 cable wiring was from the source listed above.

BCC02 BCC03 BCC17 Possible
Rainbow Pin Mono Color Color Dual Monitor
======= == === ===== ===== ============
Red shield ground --- 1 ----- X X Color
Green shield ground -- 2 ----- X X Color
Blue shield ground --- 3 ----- X X Color
Mono shield ground --- 4 X ----- ----- Monochrome
Ground ---------------- 5 X jumper jumper Monochrome
Ground ---------------- 6 X X X Keyboard
+12 volts -------------- 7 X ----- ----- Monochrome
+12 volts -------------- 8 X X X Keyboard
Blue video -------------- 9 ----- X X Color
Green video ----------- 10 ----- X ----- Color
Red video -------------- 11 ----- X X Color
Mono video ----------- 12 X ----- X Monochrome
-- not used ------------ 13 ----- jumper jumper -----
Data from keyboard to CPU 14 X X X Keyboard
Data from CPU to keyboard 15 X X X Keyboard

Conclusion
==========
Comparison of the above data suggests that when the graphics board is in a Rainbow, the BCC03 cable should route the color graphics signals to the VR241 monitor. However, the monochrome signal generated on the Rainbow's motherboard will NOT be capable of being displayed with the BCC03 cable.

As indicated in the "Rainbow Color/Graphics Option Programmer's Reference Guide" (DEC part number AA-AE36A-TV), the Rainbow can support three different monitor configurations: (1) monochrome monitor only, (2) color monitor only, and (3) both monochrome and color monitors. Each of the single monitor configurations presents a problem, that is how to get graphics video data to the monochrome monitor, and how to get motherboard video data to the color monitor.
DEC solved these problems with a electronic switch on the motherboard. That switch is controlled by bit 2 of port 0A hexidecimal. Setting that bit to 0 places motherboard video data on pin 12 of the BCC02 / BCC17 cable. In contrast, setting the bit to 1 puts graphics option "green" data on that pin.

To my knowledge, DEC never sold a cable to support the Rainbow's dual monitor configuration. However, some people have built such a cable.

(Note: The above data suggests a Professional or DECmate, when equipped with its graphics option and an appropriate cable, may also be capable of supporting a dual monitor configuration.)

Carl C. Hoff
choff@cs.wrigth.edu
.................................................. ..................................................

Hi J. Damn. I just made the connection to your moniker. You of course did make or acquire an adapter to use the Dual monitor video option on the Rainbow. Have you attempted the dual monitor on the DEC Pro ? According to the above post the Pro and Deskmate also had the same capabilites.

Lawrence

PrintStar
February 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
The Rainbow uses a BCC17 cable with the VR241 color monitor, NOT the BCC03 cable used by the Professional, DECmate and VT241 terminal. -- Here in the United States, Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) is selling the BCC17-6 cable for $56 US.

Hi J. Damn. I just made the connection to your moniker. You of course did make or acquire an adapter to use the Dual monitor video option on the Rainbow. Have you attempted the dual monitor on the DEC Pro ? According to the above post the Pro and Deskmate also had the same capabilites.

Lawrence

I stand corrected. Apparently the cable issue only comes into play for VR241 setups.

As for dual monitors on the Pro, I have never used a Pro before. The closest I have been to using a Pro was the xhomer emulator (http://xhomer.isani.org/xhomer/). Nor have I used a DECmate. I've never been particularly interested in those two lines of computers.