PDA

View Full Version : OH I killed my PS/2 Model 70 386!!!

I_killed_it
December 15th, 2008, 10:42 PM
When I got it and it was working. It went all the way to games! Than I opened it up, picked it apart, cleaned it, put it back together. I am not sure if this has something to do with me removing the battery or if I just broke it, but as of now when I turn it on all I get is:

161 = "ok with in x over it, I guess it means NOT OK" -->"What looks like a book with IBM"

The guy who gave it to me said that I have the Reference Diskette. When I put in the Disk in I get this:

"03968 KB OK
_"

Than it just stops there. If it was ganna do something it would have, right?

I need help to make it work.

This information might be useful, it has a hard drive and it's on OS/2 (or was on)

per
December 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Yep, the errors mean that the CMOS have been reset (161), and that the clock is not set (163). Are you sure the Reference Diskette is not damadged or used for something else?

I really don't know too much about PS/2's, but if you got a proper Reference Diskette, you should get it to boot. The problem might also just be that the Diskette drive needs cleaning.

I_killed_it
December 16th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Well it sounds like it is trying to read the desk and than it beeps twice and... than nothing just:

03968 KB OK

I thought i was support to do something after that. Could the disk be to old? I could go to my grandmothers house (she has a disk drive) and see if it reads there...

per
December 16th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Well it sounds like it is trying to read the desk and than it beeps twice and... than nothing just:

03968 KB OK

I thought i was support to do something after that. Could the disk be to old? I could go to my grandmothers house (she has a disk drive) and see if it reads there...

I don't know what the beeping is, but it's problably the disk drive not working properly. Did you test the disk drive before you unnasembled the computer?

Allen
December 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
If you disconnected the battery, then the system lost the setup information. That's why you are getting the 161 and 163 error codes. You cannot boot the system from the hard disk until you tell it that it has a hard disk to boot from.

With the reference diskette inserted, press F1 when you get that screen of error codes. If the system goes to IBM Cassette Basic, then for some reason the system cannot read the diskette and therefore cannot load the setup program.

Remove the diskette drive, open it up, and clean it out. A loose object may be obstructing the operation of the diskette. If this doesn't work, check that the diskette itself is good. If your copy of the reference diskette isn't working, search the internet for file "rf7080a.exe" to create another reference diskette for IBM PS/2 Models 70 and 80.

If you are sure the diskette is fine and you've done what you can with the drive, then perhaps the drive needs to be replaced. I have for sale many diskette drives for various PS/2 models. A few of them are listed here: http://marketplace.vintage-computer.com/100090,owner_id,other_items.

Dr_Acula
December 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM
It isn't dead. It is just resting!

It is always a lot of fun building a PC right up from scratch. If the battery has been removed you will have lost the setup information, but if it is an old computer that may have been going to happen anyway as these batteries probably are not good for more than 10 years. So it could be worth getting a new battery while you are at it.

Does the computer boot up with a bios message on the screen? Eg something like hit F1 or F12 or delete to enter bios?

If so there are all sorts of settings you can alter. You will need to tell it that it has both a hard drive and a floppy drive (I presume it has both). Then in another menu, you might need to tell it the boot sequence - eg hard drive then floppy, or the other way round. It depends where the operating system is. Sometimes the bios can auto detect a hard drive. Sometimes not, and you have to key in the cylinders and heads manually.

If you have absolutely nothing on the screen at all and just beeps, then maybe something has got damaged with the big clean. Then it is a matter of working out the beep codes. At this point, a big pile of junked computer bits is very helpful. Or a computer store with a big pile of junked bits, because you will need to start swapping bits back and forth. First things first though, have you got anything on the screen at bootup?

tezza
December 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
When I got it and it was working. It went all the way to games! Than I opened it up, picked it apart, cleaned it, put it back together. I am not sure if this has something to do with me removing the battery or if I just broke it, but as of now when I turn it on all I get is:

161 = "ok with in x over it, I guess it means NOT OK" -->"What looks like a book with IBM"

The guy who gave it to me said that I have the Reference Diskette. When I put in the Disk in I get this:

"03968 KB OK
_"

Than it just stops there. If it was ganna do something it would have, right?

I need help to make it work.

This information might be useful, it has a hard drive and it's on OS/2 (or was on)

My sympathies. I killed my PS/2 30-286 by disassembling and cleaning it. I don't know what happened but I will certainly take a lot more care (discharge myself etc.) next time I'm handling circuit boards.

Tez

aquasonic
December 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
the funny thing is that error codes still exist! my IBM 600E laptop has the same battery codes. Check if your battery seats good :) Try replacing it if it doesn't fix it.

Jorg
December 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
the funny thing is that error codes still exist! my IBM 600E laptop has the same battery codes. Check if your battery seats good :) Try replacing it if it doesn't fix it.

SHH! That is just because no marketing manager ever heard of it (they always get the newest laptops).
Don't tell them!

aquasonic
December 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
hahahahahahahaha! Yes indeed :P

apstev
December 30th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I have an IBM PS/1 that had a dead battery and I replaced it. I also get 161 163 & a301 error message. The F1 key indicated does not get the system to boot. However after the inital error messages are displayed I found that by removing the keyboard connection than re-installing it so all the lights on the keyboard are off the F1 key becomes functional and the system boots. And a Ctrl-alt-delete can reboot the system if as sometimes happens the mouse curser is lost. A CMOS reset would cure both your and my problems if someone would tell us what magical keys to press on startup.

Good luck apstev apstevens1@verizon.net

patscc
December 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Here's my getting into CMOS setup shortlist:

Press Esc during boot = Toshiba
Press F1 during boot = Toshiba; Phoenix; Late model PS/1 Value Point and 330s
Press F10 when cursor jumps to top right-hand corner of screen = Compaq
Press F10 when logo screen is displayed = Compaq
Press F2 during boot = NEC
Press Insert during boot = IBM PS/2 with reference partition
Press Tab during boot = Emachine
Press Reset button twice = some Dells
Ctrl Alt + = Misc computers
Ctrl Alt ? = Some PS/2s, such as 75 and 90
Ctrl Alt Enter = Dell
Ctrl Alt Esc = AST Advantage, Award, Tandon
Ctrl Alt Ins = Zenith, Phoenix
Ctrl Alt S = Phoenix
Ctrl Alt Shift + Num Pad Del = Olivetti PC Pro
Ctrl Esc = Misc computers
Ctrl Ins = some PS/2s when pointer at top right of screen

If none of these work, you might need the setup/reference disk for the PS/* 's. They used to be on the IBM ftp site, although I'm sure some folks either know exactly where or have a copy of them.

Using debug to clear the CMOS (make sure you know how to enter it BEFORE you try this)
Debug

TYPE DEBUG
At the type the following
-O 70,2E
-O 71,0
-Q

Restart. Should be cleared.

Good luck.

patscc