PDA

View Full Version : time capsule/nuclear powerplant electronics/more

mark vingl
December 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
aquired a very old building with stuff in it you would'nt believe. Lots of it. Am in Morristown TN.
need help, $plit
Please contact me at 423 312 8320

NeXT
December 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'm not calling you but are there any PDPs? :)

Druid6900
December 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
aquired a very old building with stuff in it you would'nt believe. Lots of it. Am in Morristown TN.
need help, $plit
Please contact me at 423 312 8320

I used to do calibration on test equipment from the Chalk River plant up here, so, what kind of help is it you need?

ahm
December 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Google says Mr. Vingl is a real estate agent.
I imagine that means he's got a piece of property full of stuff that he'd rather have someone else cart off.
Think he'd know a PDP if he tripped over one? :)

NeXT
December 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Well if he is a real estate agent then he should know by now that potential buyers like photographs. ;) There has to be some really nice stuff at this place.

ahm
December 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I look forward to your results.

Luzur
December 18th, 2008, 01:40 AM
i think its some sort of scam.

nige the hippy
December 18th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Let's not be too hasty to condemn here.

The guy has spent the time to look up the forum & post, He's giving you a chance to check it out & grab stuff before the clearance people/squatters move in, and probably for the price of petrol.

He probably doesn't need a hand to shift rubbish, because there are plenty of people who do that for a living. Besides it's usually up to a property developer to shift the left-behinds of the previous owner (at least it is over here).

I virtually furnished my last house from a factory clearance, there's often loads of good stuff to be had for the effort of going to look. I'd do an hour's drive, or at least make a call for a tip-off like that.

Jorg
December 18th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Do we need scuba gear? Does the stuff glow?

per
December 18th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I think if somebody got questions about it, they should make a phonecall to that phone-number. IDK if he will be following this thread up.

pontus
December 18th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Oh for pete's sake! Would some American(I'm guessing it is in the states) pick up the phone and call him? I'm dying of curiosity over here :)

I'd call myself If I wasn't at work. Also, being in Sweden hinders me in several ways :)

nige the hippy
December 18th, 2008, 03:44 AM
These "Somebody (else) must do something about it" threads drive me scatty as well! :sigh:
Do you have a Pete in sweden too?

pontus
December 18th, 2008, 05:16 AM
These "Somebody (else) must do something about it" threads drive me scatty as well! :sigh:
Do you have a Pete in sweden too?

Well uhm, I think the corresponding wording in swedish would be "Men i herre jösse namn" or "För guds skull". The first one refers to Jesus, the second to god.. so no, no Pete :) Who is this Pete fella anyway?

willie8605
December 18th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Well uhm, I think the corresponding wording in swedish would be "Men i herre jösse namn" or "För guds skull". The first one refers to Jesus, the second to god.. so no, no Pete :) Who is this Pete fella anyway?

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071008040323AATkIPG

of course, being a student at Oklahoma State University, I always think of Pete in this saying as Pistol Pete, our mascot :)

Erik
December 18th, 2008, 06:46 AM
ROFL. Y'all are funny people. . . I tell ya.

I called yesterday when I saw the post. I asked for pictures, which I haven't yet seen, and offered my assistance with identifying and valuing anything in the pile.

He's scrapping stuff and looking for gems worth more than scrap value. I'm pretty sure the goal is to clear the property although I didn't get into that.

I'll keep y'all posted if I hear back.

pontus
December 18th, 2008, 07:36 AM
ROFL. Y'all are funny people. . . I tell ya.

I called yesterday when I saw the post. I asked for pictures, which I haven't yet seen, and offered my assistance with identifying and valuing anything in the pile.

He's scrapping stuff and looking for gems worth more than scrap value. I'm pretty sure the goal is to clear the property although I didn't get into that.

I'll keep y'all posted if I hear back.

Ah, phew.. I was about to call when I got home. Its in these places you find the real goodies :) Lets hope for something fun, and that it can be salvaged.

Thanks Erik.

Druid6900
December 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah, he got back to me re: my post in this thread, but, the message doesn't seem to be in my mailbox.

Luzur
December 19th, 2008, 03:18 AM
well ,what was it he had found then? mint boxed C65's?

if i had been the one making the thread i would've posted more info on what it was i had found.

Erik
December 19th, 2008, 06:12 AM
So far a couple of 50s era electronics bits. A pressure meter (NRC Alphatron Vacuum Gauge) and a Fluke model 405 power supply.

Interesting, but not Vintage Computers. . .

mark vingl
December 19th, 2008, 11:12 AM
hope you all get the pics, i am sending 5 more. Mark

mark vingl
December 19th, 2008, 11:24 AM
zoom in on the red and black metal tag in the center of 0708, it says
Oak Ridge National Laboratories.

0709 Misc - there' s lots of it

0725 Old Photo Enlarger, cool just as a work of art.

NeXT
December 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Geez that place looks nasty. Looks damp as well.
Well so far I see no real computer gems, it's mostly just instruments...or what is left of some instruments. What a mess.

pontus
December 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Cool looking stuff. There are probably collectors for these kinds of items, but its not me. I would probably take the knobs, lamps and buttons of though.

Terry Yager
December 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I'd prolly adopt some of it just on looks alone. It's all so kewl and techie-like.

--T

NeXT
December 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
If I had a shop with empty shelves I would get it just to fill the shelves with cood gear that looks like it is some sort of super-duper, ultra proprietary professional tester for some randome device.

Terry Yager
December 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
If I had a shop with empty shelves I would get it just to fill the shelves with cood gear that looks like it is some sort of super-duper, ultra proprietary professional tester for some randome device.

Never hurts to 'mystify' your profession, giving your customers the impression that computer repair is a lot more complicated than it really is.

--T

Druid6900
December 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah, so far, most of it looks like the type of antiquated test equipment that I used to help calibrate.

Love the enlarger.

I doubt that the stuff has much practical use, but, some might have nostalgic value or legacy value.

You're probably looking at hundreds of thousands (when new) of state of the art (then) test equipment just in those few pictures.

nige the hippy
December 20th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Every workshop should have a "Zeta Meter";)

chuckcmagee
December 20th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Gah, sure glad it wasn't " my tax dollars at work " with all that stuff. I was still a kid at home with my step-dad and mom paying for all those great ionization control boxes.

Yes, I know, today I get to pay for cruise missiles at 1.5 mil apiece.

VintageComputerman
December 20th, 2008, 08:05 AM
There are some interesting items there. Companies I have never heard of. I took a look around to see what I could find. Virtually nothing on ebay that matches the manufactures names, but it could be due to it's rarity and if it is rare, it's worth $$$. I did find reference to the JOHN FLUKE MFG CO., INC. They made terminals, printers, etc back in the 80's or earlier so you never know.

I would find the most unusual items, clean them up and sell them on ebay. I personally don't sell just computer items but all kinds of electronics, so I would not count that stuff out as being worthless. If there are any tubes in that equipment, you might have real $$$.

You need better pictures though. Better lighting.

There is a lot of historical stuff in that pile, considering the history of Oak Ridge.

Find yourself an ebay seller or ebay related store in your area and have them sell it for you and don't be surprised if you sell most to collectors in the UK or Asia. I sell a lot to those parts of the world.

VintageComputerman
December 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Some history http://www.answers.com/topic/fluke-corporation

Say, you wouldn't happen to have anything that looks like this in that pile would you?

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/2764/1954-2004_Computer.jpg

VintageComputerman
December 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Anything like this John Fluke Terminal? That one would fetch good $$$.

http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/y1700/front_s.jpg

Terry Yager
December 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
You can sell me just about anything if it's got a buncha switches, dials, knobs, and especially Blinkenlights!!!

--T

Terry Yager
December 20th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Some history http://www.answers.com/topic/fluke-corporation

Say, you wouldn't happen to have anything that looks like this in that pile would you?

Technology not yet invented? Musta been pre-transistor...

I do believe that's also the only time you'll ever see the words 'FORTRAN' and 'easy to use' in the same sentence.

--T

VintageComputerman
December 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Technology not yet invented? Musta been pre-transistor...

I do believe that's also the only time you'll ever see the words 'FORTRAN' and 'easy to use' in the same sentence.

--T

I've always wondered what the steering wheel was for, lol

Erik
December 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I've always wondered what the steering wheel was for, lol

Y'all realize that image was a total hoax, right?

ahm
December 20th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Maybe they don't, so here ya go...
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

frozenfire75i
December 20th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Looks like something someone would have to pay someone to take ;-)

Ole Juul
December 20th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Whaddaya mean? I've got one just like that, except the steering wheel is on the right. I believe it's a clone made for the English market.

DimensionDude
December 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM
But didya notice that it appears to be a DUAL steering wheel? Driver and co-driver? Does one end up taking the statistical average course steered by both wheels?

Kent

Druid6900
December 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM
But didya notice that it appears to be a DUAL steering wheel? Driver and co-driver? Does one end up taking the statistical average course steered by both wheels?

Kent

Yes and no :)

Terry Yager
December 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM
It's the trainer model.

--T

mark vingl
December 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I am not much with the forums so i hope i am replying to everybody t the same time. As i make space i will lay that stuff out in a lit room and take pictures. early next week. mark

Ksarul
December 24th, 2008, 09:08 PM
0709 has one item I used to use a lot--the squarish green thing in the corner with the handle on top is a square greenlee punch for making holes in conduit.

And for those wondering--Fluke still makes all kinds of test equipment. . .

http://www.fluke.com/