PDA

View Full Version : Cd rom

GEAC6600CW
December 20th, 2008, 04:36 PM
is there any easy way to install a cdrom drive in like a 486 with dos.... i got a 486 system been working on, getting ready to throw it out the win.

it's hooked to a SB16 sound card, is there any install program that would do all the .sys .bat editing and ect for you by itself

frozenfire75i
December 20th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I have pulled my hair out many times over that kind of thing, I have learned to avoid any system that don't have a pri. and 2nd. IDE channel on the controller card or mobo.

Best advice, throw it out the window!

NathanAllan
December 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM
http://www.daqarta.com/sb16.htm

hope this helps.

Anonymous Coward
December 20th, 2008, 07:41 PM
There are many different types of CD-ROM interfaces on SB16s. Many of them are proprietary, and although might look exactly like an IDE connectors, they cannot be used with modern ATAPI drives. So first you have to figure out which SB16 you have. Ideally you want SCSI or IDE. If you have a proprietary matsushita, sony or mitsumi interface, then you should forget about it if you don't have the matching drive.

From my experience, the best solution for adding a CD-ROM drive to a 486 is to go with SCSI. The available drives are usually of much higher build quality, and the controllers are plentiful. A parallel port "backpack" drive might be a good second choice, although the performance might suffer depending on what kind of parallel port your system has.