PDA

View Full Version : HD FDC Bios

diodenmann
December 25th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Hi

I recently found this 4-drive floppy controller card. Unfortunately the Eprom is missing.
Does anybody have a similar card and/or could make/provide a ROM image or tell me where to find a suitable one?

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/6250/scanimage001jm9.th.jpg (http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scanimage001jm9.jpg)

Thank s

per
December 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I don't think that card needs the EPROM, since 4 FDDs are supported by the IBM PC and XT BIOSes. However, if you plan to use it with 3 or 4 FDDs on a newer computer with BIOS support for only 2 FDDs, then you'll need the EPROM. I really don't think anyone would need more than 2 FDD's anyway.

It might also be that the EPROM would have added support for disks greater than 360Kb on original IBM PC's and XT's, however there does exist software drivers for that (implemented in PC DOS 2000 for example).

So, unless you are going to use it to boot 1.44Mb disks on an IBM PC/XT, you won't need the EPROM.

*Edit*
The DIP Switches are problably for the EPROM adress.

Chuck(G)
December 25th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I've probably got a couple that will work. Let me rummage around and have a session with the PROM programmer, I'll read a couple for you to try.

My guess is that the 8 DIP switches are 2 switches per floppy, indicating type and J1 is a primary I/O address/secondary I/O address jumper.

The ACC3201 is a 386-era controller--(I think) a clone of the Intel 82077; you used to see them on some Dell systems.

diodenmann
December 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM
That will be great... thanks in advance.
With the switches and the jumper setting you are totally right, i found an identical looking card on th99.

Chuck(G)
December 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I don't have the card that matches what you have, but let's try some BIOSes.

The DTK BIOS is probably the most generic.
The JE1043 is from a Jameco FDC
The WD BIOS is from a WD1002A-FOX controller and is probably the least likely to work, though you might give it a try.

Let me know if none if these work and I'll keep looking...

diodenmann
December 26th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Just tested the three files... the DTK bios works fine, reads, writes and formats without problems :-D
The others don't.

per
December 26th, 2008, 08:33 AM
How does it work without the BIOS?

Chuck(G)
December 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Happy to help out.

It's truly amazing how many various floppy cards were produced; With Don Masin's help, at one time, I attempted to survey the various cards and what they were capable of. Every time you turned around, you'd find another. I didn't bother to hang onto the ones that were nothing special. The DTK comes from a floppy controllerwith an NS chip that handles writing 128-byte MFM sectors (as well as FM).

per
December 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Happy to help out.

It's truly amazing how many various floppy cards were produced; With Don Masin's help, at one time, I attempted to survey the various cards and what they were capable of. Every time you turned around, you'd find another. I didn't bother to hang onto the ones that were nothing special. The DTK comes from a floppy controllerwith an NS chip that handles writing 128-byte MFM sectors (as well as FM).

Aaa. Lucky you. My genetic FDC does support all the IBM standards, but not the 128-bytes non-standard ones.

Robin4
June 7th, 2015, 03:04 AM
I don't have the card that matches what you have, but let's try some BIOSes.

The DTK BIOS is probably the most generic.
The JE1043 is from a Jameco FDC
The WD BIOS is from a WD1002A-FOX controller and is probably the least likely to work, though you might give it a try.

Let me know if none if these work and I'll keep looking...

Chuck, do you maybe have the manual for the Jameco JE1043 floppy card? Or something that would tell what those jumpers will do.