PDA

View Full Version : XT IDE troubleshooting ST-351-A/X

kb2syd
December 31st, 2008, 04:55 AM
So I tried starting my Tandy 1000RLX HD. What a wierd little machine that is. Anyway, it now all works, including booting into Deskmate from ROM.

However, the Seagate st-351 xt ide hard drive is on the fritz. Since it wasn't working I opened it up.

Before anyone passes out, I do this all the time on older IDE drives that I just can't get working any other way...

First issue was that it wasn't spinning up. I put a little torque on the center and now it spins up. However, now the head "bonks" in and out. Any ideas on troubleshooting this drive further?

shawn510
December 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM
I used to have one of those, it was indeed unusual. I still have the manual for it. They were really aiming at "family computer" market, with all the home organizer software that they added to the Deskmate.

I don't have any suggestions as I am facing XT drive problems myself in my TL/2.

Druid6900
December 31st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Before anyone passes out, I do this all the time on older IDE drives that I just can't get working any other way...

First issue was that it wasn't spinning up. I put a little torque on the center and now it spins up. However, now the head "bonks" in and out. Any ideas on troubleshooting this drive further?

Umm, can we get a definition of "bonks"?

modem7
December 31st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Before anyone passes out,
Too late! And on the way to the floor, I hit my head on the filing cabinet. Please, no more scary stories, or at least provide an advance warning such as, "WARNING: The contents of this post may cause distress to some readers".

paul
December 31st, 2008, 03:10 PM
bonk (bhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/obreve.gifngk)v. bonked, bonk·ing, bonks
v.tr. To strike or cause to come into contact: She bonked her head going through the low doorway.

v.intr. To collide against something: His head bonked against the wall as he fell.

n.1. A blow to the head.
2. A hollow thud.

I'll leave the other definition out...

kb2syd
December 31st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Umm, can we get a definition of "bonks"?

Yep. The head acutator is cycling from one extreme to another. Does that help? Definition #2 above...

Terry Yager
December 31st, 2008, 06:16 PM
I'll leave the other definition out...

3. The sound made by Modem7's head coming into contact with a filing cabinet.

--T

Druid6900
December 31st, 2008, 06:21 PM
Drives used to do that when you had a jumper on the test pins.

shawn510
January 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
If it is the 40mb drive, it can be jumpered for either xt or at mode. Might want to check that.