PDA

View Full Version : Removable IDE caddy in 5" drive bay

paul.brett
January 5th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I just came across one of these during a tidy-up. It had a 340MB drive in it, which didn't seem to work.

Having stuck a spare 160Gb drive in, I'm quite surprised to find it works a treat.

I think I'll use this for off-site backups.

Not vintage ... possibly, but I just thought I share my mini-success with you guys.

Paul.

BG101
January 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks .. I've got a caddy in my box of bits, will give that a try soon. It came from a 486DX2-66 machine which is currently in storage.

BG

Unknown_K
January 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I have a dozen of those removable IDE racks (some are ATA/66 and above and some are for ATA 33 and older). I find the cooling fans crap out after a few years (located in the dock side). Mostly they are used in machines where I test drives, or have a couple different OS/setups for and I can just swap the drive as needed.

patscc
January 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Unknown_K said...crap out after a few years

D*****d sleeve bearings.

patscc

Druid6900
January 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I have about a dozen various types of them too and the fans are pretty easy to source and replace.

I don't actually USE them, they just go up on my site when I have the time to do so.

Unknown_K
January 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
D*****d sleeve bearings.

patscc

Ball bearings would have cost $.02 more so they used the cheap stuff. I don't mind them crapping out, its the ones that make a huge racket when they are dying that annoy me. And I stuff so many case fans blowing out the back of my machines that the HDs get airflow anyway.

DimensionDude
January 8th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Ball bearings would have cost $.02 more so they used the cheap stuff. I don't mind them crapping out, its the ones that make a huge racket when they are dying that annoy me. And I stuff so many case fans blowing out the back of my machines that the HDs get airflow anyway.

I rather like the sleeve bearings better than the ball bearings. When the sleeve bearings start to get a bit noisy, it's not very difficult to disassemble the fan and add a dab of lithium grease. After that, they're good for another few years.

The ball bearings, on the other hand, are finished when they become noisy. A drop of oil might make them run for a few days until you can get a replacement, but not much longer than that.

Kent

tikbalang
January 9th, 2009, 05:06 AM
i have one still connected to this pc i'm using. the power led goes on but the hd led won't and the hd is not found by either bios or pc. i've tried number of hd's already. any probable causes of this? is it ok to turn the caddy off/on (using switchkey) while pc is running?

Chuck(G)
January 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I rather like the sleeve bearings better than the ball bearings. When the sleeve bearings start to get a bit noisy, it's not very difficult to disassemble the fan and add a dab of lithium grease. After that, they're good for another few years.

The ball bearings, on the other hand, are finished when they become noisy. A drop of oil might make them run for a few days until you can get a replacement, but not much longer than that.Kent

Depends on what's called "ball bearings". The last (Chinese) fan I looked at had a prominent "ball bearing" label on it. Turned out to be a single ball used as a thrust bearing. Otherwise, the fan used simple sleeve bushings. A dab of grease works on those also.

super-sama
January 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I just came across one of these during a tidy-up. It had a 340MB drive in it, which didn't seem to work.

Having stuck a spare 160Gb drive in, I'm quite surprised to find it works a treat.

I think I'll use this for off-site backups.

Not vintage ... possibly, but I just thought I share my mini-success with you guys.

Paul.

Heh... I have three of these myself. They're ATA/133 though. They are perfect for when you want to test drives too. I get my hands on a dozen of drives a month and I test them in a machine with these.

Unknown_K
January 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
For offsite storage try those USB 2.0 HD docks they have now. You just drop in a bare SATA HD into the external dock slot and then dump data to it, when done lift the drive out and store it. No drive swapping or reboots needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101131