PDA

View Full Version : Commodore 64C

Exluddite
January 8th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I just picked up a commodore 64C off of ebay with a 1541 disk drive and a 1701 monitor. Now I'm playing around with it and have a few questions.
I can run programs in BASIC that I type in (and it's amazing how much I've retained after all these years) but can I do anything in assembly on this machine?
I tried a thing or two that I found on a web site, but the machine just gives me a syntax error.
What about the GEOS that I heard this was originally shipped with. Is that on the ROM or do I need to get a hold of the disks?

vic user
January 9th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Hi;

you will need the GEOS disks, as it did not come on ROM.

you can do assembly on the 64c, but without a monitor cart. or a ROM image on floppy, you would have to resort to poking in your instructions.

if you need help with things, i will try to be of service.

chris

carlsson
January 9th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Fortunately, GEOS 2.0 can now be downloaded for free:

http://usa.cmdrkey.com/cbm/geos/geos1.html

You will need some X*1541 cable or other tools to transfer the downloaded content to a floppy, but that applies to anything you want to download from Internet.

While you're at it, you can probably download a good machine code monitor or even assembler package. I don't know which to prefer, as I personally like to cross-develop and my choice of machine code monitor is the one built into Action Replay 6 cartridge.

If you feel like spending some money, you can also buy geoProgrammer ($20) via Click Here Software (see above link) to go with GEOS. I have no idea if that is a good package or not.

Exluddite
January 10th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Well, I guess I'll be poking in instructions for the time being. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some carts. That's a good site to know Carlsson. I might just pick up some software from there.
I'm not sure if it's the monitor (which is a bit green on one side) or the machine, but some of the colors seem to be in the wrong place on the keyboard. For instance, red seems like it turns the cursor more white and vice versa. Hmm.

carlsson
January 11th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Maurice of Click Here Software has been quite busy with other stuff in the last year(s), so a number of paying customers are waiting since a long time for their orders to be expediated. Just to let you know. However, Maurice also has indicated that he will raise the priority of the computer business, so things hopefully will be solved.

The colour stuff sounds peculiar. You can always POKE 646,n to change the cursor colour to #n in the range 0-15, where 0-7 corresponds to CTRL-1 to CTRL-8 and 8-15 is C= 1 to C= 8. If you get red text with POKE 646,1 but white text with POKE 646,2 something is rather screwed up. Since there is a built in RF modulator in the C64, maybe you have some TV or VCR you can hook it up to compare with the monitor output.