PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else p!ssed off by this?

BG101
January 14th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Having to "double-click" something to open it. What is the point. It's a SHORTCUT, what else are you supposed to do with it? There is no FILE menu on a desktop, so clicking something only to highlight it and let it sit there doing nothing serves no purpose whatsoever. As I said, there's NO "file" menu so there is sod all else you can do unless you click it again, and then it wants you to rename it?

If you want to do something OTHER than open the program or file, using a "shortcut", which I had assumed is the whole purpose of such, that is surely what the right mouse button is for ?? A shortcut is supposed to be a direct way to OPEN something?

It works when you click something on the Start menu, or the Quick Launch menu. But not on exactly the same shortcut on the Desktop itself or within directories, unless you go into settings and change the defaults.

Am I the only person irritated by this?

BG

Ole Juul
January 14th, 2009, 12:42 AM
BG101: Am I the only person irritated by this?
Possibly. :p
Just kidding! What desktop enviroment are we talking about? I use KDE which lets you configure any of those things to your taste just by clicking on menu items. I think it is pretty much the state of the art in desktop features right now, unless you want eye candy like Compiz or Beryl, with the spinning cubes and stuff. If you like minimal and ultra fast try Blackbox. It is also configurable but you gotta know a bit more to do it. I really like it on old machines. It's a good "vintage" choice. :) Perhaps you're using MSWindows, but with such a large user base, I would expect a huge amount of available desktop environments and window managers to chose from. Surely, you can't be stuck with "out of the box" choices.

I've tried people's machines with MSwindows on them and I always get caught in the two click trap. Why do they set them up that way? :confused: I click on something and then wait and wait, until somebody tells me that I gotta click some more. Why two? Why not three, or four, or five... Beats me? lol

BG101
January 14th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I'm on about the default settings, with ANY version of M$ Windoze. Even Blister. Despite the fact there is no "menu" to actually do something with the shortcut icon you've just highlighted by clicking on it. It's also been adopted by some other operating systems. Why retain an archaic "double click" when there is nothing else you can do with a link when you click on it once? It's no different to a link on a Web page or in the Start menu FFS.

BG

kb2syd
January 14th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Drag? Multple select? There are several things you can do with a shortcut other than opening it. My favorite is just deleting it.

Single click is a menace for inexperienced users.

Yzzerdd
January 14th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Single click is a menace for inexperienced users.

Yeah, but then you got the newbs that think EVERYTHING deserves a double click. Link on the internet--double click...Opens twice and they are like "WTF?" Same for the start menu, normal website links, etc. All deserve a double click, then they get mad because everything comes up twice.

Reminds me of this girl....She'd NEVER type the address of a website in the address bar. If it was google.com she'd type google, then it'd bring up that word in a search engine. Youtube.com? Type Youtube, then find the link to the main page on a search engine. I tried to explain the concept of ".com" and that it takes less energy to just stop being a lazy bum and type it, but she never caught on. It's like teaching a cockroach to dance to "la cucuracha"

--Jack

barythrin
January 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Personally I hate single click, but that's just me. A lot of times I'd like to select a file, then do properties on it or open it up in an editor to see what it is, it bugs me when it runs instead, or maybe just a misclick and I have to wait for it to load the application now.

Anyway I think it's just an "are you sure" setting giving you a second chance if you're dumb like me and accidentally click the wrong thing once and a while.

That being said, you know you can change Windows to single click right? I think it was part of the first Plus pack so I'm not sure where exactly it is in older version of windows but in current (2000/XP/...vista?) it's under control panel->Folder Options->Click items as follows and you can change it to single click to run shortcuts, open folders, etc.

Under the View tab you can also get a lot of good features back like not hiding the extension of known files, showing the files in system folders/hidden files/folders, etc. I always end up here on new installs to get the system showing users a little more of what they should see, otherwise you end up with the people that change the icon of an executable to the notepad icon and email it to someone who has the extension showing disabled and they think it's a text file then end up running a worm or virus.

gerrydoire
January 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Having to "double-click" something to open it. What is the point. It's a SHORTCUT, what else are you supposed to do with it? There is no FILE menu on a desktop, so clicking something only to highlight it and let it sit there doing nothing serves no purpose whatsoever. As I said, there's NO "file" menu so there is sod all else you can do unless you click it again, and then it wants you to rename it?

If you want to do something OTHER than open the program or file, using a "shortcut", which I had assumed is the whole purpose of such, that is surely what the right mouse button is for ?? A shortcut is supposed to be a direct way to OPEN something?

It works when you click something on the Start menu, or the Quick Launch menu. But not on exactly the same shortcut on the Desktop itself or within directories, unless you go into settings and change the defaults.

Am I the only person irritated by this?

BG

Probably.... :cool4:

tezza
January 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Personally I hate single click, but that's just me.

Not just you. Double-click doesn't worry me . Double-click to execute and single click to drag and/or copy. Besides, as was pointed out, you can alter many of those settings if you don't like them.

Tez

BG101
January 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I point my mouse at something to select it, or drag a box over it if it's more than one (or hold CTRL or SHIFT, as appropriate). But in the vast majority of cases, if it's an icon on the desktop, the thing I usually want to do is to OPEN it. I use the other mouse button to do other tasks with it such as move, delete, rename.

It just irritates me that when I'm using a computer other than my own, I click on something and f*** all happens. As I said, it's highlighted but there's no FILE menu to instigate an action on it, you HAVE to press the mouse button again anyway. It just seems pointless and serves no purpose other than to shorten the life of the left mouse button. Do you click a light switch twice to turn it on? No!! If you want to dim it, you turn the knob (equivalent of the right mouse button). IMHO if you click on a link the likelihood is because you want to open it!

This is a legacy from Windows 3.xx where there actually IS a File menu!

BG

docred
January 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I suppose its all what a person is used to - I like double click, chances are because I'm trained to it. We have a couple users that have everything set to single click, and it drives me batty when I work on their machines (I sometimes change it temporarily depending on what I am doing). Not because its bad, but just because I'm so trained to double click :)

Ole Juul
January 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah, but then you got the newbs that think EVERYTHING deserves a double click. Link on the internet--double click...Opens twice and they are like "WTF?" Same for the start menu, normal website links, etc. All deserve a double click, then they get mad because everything comes up twice.
I can't figure it out either. The whole idea of "clicking" on things is just too counterintuitive. Sometimes something isn't supposed to happen. Sometimes things don't happen right away. I'm not really familiar with MS-windows, but even KDE is a mess if you ask me.

Reminds me of this girl....She'd NEVER type the address of a website in the address bar. If it was google.com she'd type google, then it'd bring up that word in a search engine. Youtube.com? Type Youtube, then find the link to the main page on a search engine. I tried to explain the concept of ".com" and that it takes less energy to just stop being a lazy bum and type it, but she never caught on. It's like teaching a cockroach to dance to "la cucuracha"
--Jack
That's funny! It is entirely possible that the girl wasn't that internet savvy, but I'm with her on that one. IMO, thats the best way to do it. I won't get into the many reasons why. (hint: I'm a speed freak) Perhaps we could start another thread. I have been "on line" since early Fido and even today most of my computing is done on the command line. Let me tell you, I have NO problem typing any amount of stuff. I am also reasonably well versed on TLDs and URLs in general. I guess some of us just aren't meant to dance to "la cucuracha". :p

CP/M User
January 15th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Ole Juul wrote:

That's funny! It is entirely possible that the girl wasn't that internet savvy, but I'm with her on that one. IMO, thats the best way to do it. I won't get into the many reasons why. (hint: I'm a speed freak)

All the more reason to start up a Blog with all those reasons listed! ;-D

Ole Juul
January 16th, 2009, 01:23 AM
CP/M User: All the more reason to start up a Blog with all those reasons listed! ;-D
OK. You made me do it! I just set up a blog and got the first post. Give me a little time and I'll get that subject covered. I'll let you know when I get there. First I gotta do some more configuring - then I'll tell you the URL. :p

Terry Yager
January 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
It's all the same to me...I hate pointy-clicky graphical interfaces in general.

--T

BG101
January 16th, 2009, 02:05 PM
:mrgreen:
I wrote one!! (For the Commodore 64) - have yet to get a decent mouse interface though, a proportional one that doesn't lock up half the keyboard when it's plugged in :D (suppose I could fit a switch in the lead). That's a subject for another thread though :)

BG

Lorne
January 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Double or single clicking?
You want to really go crazy?
How about both?
My Dell desktop lets me do the usual double click.
However, when I hover the pointer over a shortcut on my new Sony Laptop VGN-TZ390, it highlights it, I lift my finger off the touchpad, and it's the same as if I had double clicked. It starts whatever was under the pointer.
You want to talk annoying? I still can't figure out how to make the laptop work like the desktop, or vice-versa for that matter.

One, or the other please.

If this is just a Sony deal, this is like Sony with the VHS vs Betamax deal !
I hope Sony loses again.

patscc
January 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Or in other words...REAL men triple-click.

What is running, out of curiosity, Vista ? (or Shasta, as I like to call it)

patscc

Ole Juul
January 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Or in other words...REAL men triple-click. ...

I've seen keyboards where you have to hit some of the keys more than once. I don't know if they were broken or if they were adapted for MSWindows users. /deadpan

Lorne
January 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Or in other words...REAL men triple-click.

What is running, out of curiosity, Vista ? (or Shasta, as I like to call it)

patscc

In my case it's XP.
The laptop came with Vista and a downgrade disk, to get it back to XP.
I used the downgrade disk.
I think it's a hardware setting thing, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

One day (when I have nothing to do, and a whole lot of patience), I'll call Sony's "Customer Care" dep't, and see what they do, or don't have to say about it.

patscc
January 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Try Control Panel->Mouse
Dig around on the tabs, look for something like Click-lock, or just read stuff that has to do with clicking. It's probably on that applet somewhere.

patscc

Dms12444
January 20th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Possibly. :p
Just kidding! What desktop enviroment are we talking about? I use KDE which lets you configure any of those things to your taste just by clicking on menu items. I think it is pretty much the state of the art in desktop features right now, unless you want eye candy like Compiz or Beryl, with the spinning cubes and stuff. If you like minimal and ultra fast try Blackbox. It is also configurable but you gotta know a bit more to do it. I really like it on old machines. It's a good "vintage" choice. :) Perhaps you're using MSWindows, but with such a large user base, I would expect a huge amount of available desktop environments and window managers to chose from. Surely, you can't be stuck with "out of the box" choices.

I've tried people's machines with MSwindows on them and I always get caught in the two click trap. Why do they set them up that way? :confused: I click on something and then wait and wait, until somebody tells me that I gotta click some more. Why two? Why not three, or four, or five... Beats me? lol

The reason they set it up like that is because using certain commands such as the click then click on the name to rename you can do many things, also think of someone who right clicks it, but because it highlights the program opens before the right click command is registered (really annoying).

BG101
January 21st, 2009, 05:41 AM
Settings for single click are in Folder Options, it just irritates me that this legacy is carried on from Windows Dinosaur Edition when the program icons were contained in an actual window, where you selected the icon then went to File and then Open (or whatever else), and this probably included systems with only one mouse button. I just prefer to have it set to open when I click on something ONCE with the left button, and highlight when I point at it (can also multiple-select by holding CTRL or SHIFT, or dragging a box over the desired items). Ole Juul has hit the nail on the head :)

If you right-click something, it doesn't open by default, however you set the Folder Options?

The other thing is it's not even consistent within newer versions of Windows, as the default action for Quick Launch or Start Menu is ALWAYS click once to open, and I've just been teaching a friend who's doing a course how to use her computer and seen her double-clicking on those too, and wondering why they open twice.

BG