PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk Card for Tandy 1000 EX.

facattack
January 16th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Anyone ever seen one? It apparently goes where the RAM upgrades go. I saw one in an old catalog someone linked to from here.

Would be nice to have one of those. :D

kb2syd
January 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I've never seen such a beastie. I've seen (and even made, and have described here) adapters to run regular ISA cards in the EX and HX. Once you have the memory card installed (for DMA) then any tandy HD adapter will work using one of these. I have mx HX set up with the Grass Valley one.

Terry Yager
January 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Unobtainium.

--T

shawn510
January 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
The problem in both the EX and the HX would be the lack of internal room for a full length card or additional drive. If you separate the card and drive and somehow find a place to secure it, maybe. I think DCS had an external HD setup available.

Fallo
January 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
The problem in both the EX and the HX would be the lack of internal room for a full length card or additional drive. If you separate the card and drive and somehow find a place to secure it, maybe. I think DCS had an external HD setup available.

The HX is worse because it doesn't have an extra power connector. Any hard disk on the EX or HX would have to be mounted externally with a grounding wire connected to the case.

Curiously, I came across an external hard disk in a flea market some while ago. It had a white case that said "Tandy Hard Disk Drive", and it had two D-shell connectors for the data and control (as MFM/RLL drives usually have). Probably for the Model II family, although I imagine it could be used with the HX/EX.

kb2syd
January 19th, 2009, 05:15 AM
The HX is worse because it doesn't have an extra power connector. Any hard disk on the EX or HX would have to be mounted externally with a grounding wire connected to the case.

Be careful about absolutes. I have a 3.5" internally mounted in my HX. I use a simple adapter and a ADP-50 card and a small IDE drive. Power comes from a plug on the ADP 50 card.

The drive sits where the second floppy would normally mount.

Kelly

patscc
January 19th, 2009, 07:02 AM
kb2syd said...I have a 3.5" internally mounted in my HX
As they say, where there's a will, there's a way.
patscc

Terry Yager
January 19th, 2009, 11:12 AM
The hdd is running from the HX's power supply? No power problems?

How did you adapt the ADP 50 edge connector to the HX? (I know I've done it before, but others here are prob'ly interested in the full details).

--T

Fallo
January 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM

How did you adapt the ADP 50 edge connector to the HX? (I know I've done it before, but others here are prob'ly interested in the full details)

According to the Tandy 1000 FAQ:

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/1kfaq.html

You have to cut into the motherboard power leads and solder in a connector on the HX.

One other thing to watch for is that the EX and HX can only use a hard disk on IRQ 2 (like the original 1000).

kb2syd
January 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM
No power problems, but YMMV. This is a fairly new drive. Pretty low power

How did you adapt the ADP 50 edge connector to the HX? (I know I've done it before, but others here are prob'ly interested in the full details).

I used a 62pin IDC female plug and a 62 contact edgecard connector and a short piece of ribbon cable. Make sure the signals go to the correct connector (they might be reversed). The pin-outs for 8-bit ISA and the tandy plus adapter are available online.

I got power from the IDE card. Not the motherboard, and not direct from the power supply.

You also might need the first 128 memory card to add DMA. I don't think it was included on the HX.

Fallo
January 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I used a 62pin IDC female plug and a 62 contact edgecard connector and a short piece of ribbon cable. Make sure the signals go to the correct connector (they might be reversed). The pin-outs for 8-bit ISA and the tandy plus adapter are available online.

I got power from the IDE card. Not the motherboard, and not direct from the power supply.

All right, I guess there's more than one way to put a hard disk in the HX.

In fact, I've been wanting to get a Tandy 1000 (preferably a TX), but all I've been able to find on Ebay are EXs and HXs.

Unknown_K
January 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
The HX are nice if they have the RAM expansion (I have one). Most of the games that would be best on a Tandy system are playable from a floppy drive. Just about anything HD installable will be VGA anyway.

I have looked for a desktop 1000 a while but ended up getting a Nec V20 equipped XT for $1 at a garage sale, sadly just dual 360Ks and no HD.

Somebody was selling a TX here a while ago I think, don't recall where tandy made the cutoff for including Tandy sound and video in their units.

Fallo
January 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM
The HX are nice if they have the RAM expansion (I have one). Most of the games that would be best on a Tandy system are playable from a floppy drive. Just about anything HD installable will be VGA anyway.

Most any software that works on XTs can be run off of floppies. Windows 2.10 and 3.0 require a hard disk, but I can't think of anything else that does.

The TX's 8 Mhz speed is nice for games that use the Tandy 320x200x16 mode, as a 4.77 Mhz 8088 will be bogged down by having to move 32k of video memory around. A number of games (eg. the low-res versions of Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken) used the 160x200 mode for performance reasons.

Somebody was selling a TX here a while ago I think, don't recall where tandy made the cutoff for including Tandy sound and video in their units.

The last two 1000s were the RLX and RSX. These sported VGA instead of the Tandy video, but still had the 3-voice sound chip.

kb2syd
January 20th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I have several extra HX and SX machines. If anyone wants one and can arrange pickup from Wantage, NJ just make an offer. I have no interest in packing them myself.

facattack
January 21st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Radioschack Catalog, 1987, page 182 near bottom . (http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1987_small/)

It describes an internal hard drive that plugs into the memory expansion slots. 20MB.

kb2syd
January 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
Radioschack Catalog, 1987, page 182 near bottom . (http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1987_small/)

It describes an internal hard drive that plugs into the memory expansion slots. 20MB.

That's just Tandy's hard disk on a card, not anything special for the HX/EX lines. I have a couple of these. Standard MFM cards with a bracket and a drive mounted to it.

Terry Yager
January 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
So it's just a hardcard jacked into a Plus Card adapter?

--T

facattack
January 21st, 2009, 12:37 PM

--T

Sure. Here's the text. I know it's a pain to flip through all those pages.

NEW! 20-meg Hard Disk Card. A complete 20-megabyte hard disk- on an expansion board! User installable. Fits in the Tandy 1000's expansion slot so it doesn't take up any desk space. Also for the Tandy 1200.

25-1029 ... 799.00

It doesn't mean much to me, but here's a schematic. (http://support.radioshack.com/support_accessories/doc3/3002.htm)

EDIT>> FIND "20 Meg Hard Disk Drive Installation Instructions. PDF format." (http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/documents.html)

Terry Yager
January 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM
I've 'cloned' the adapter before, all you need is a header soldered to an edge connector, but, as I recall, the signals are all reversed; A=B & vicey-versey. Works well with a short board, but I've always used an external enclosure with it's own power...never tried to use the HX/EX power supply, or powered a hardcard that way. I'm surprised the puny internal source can handle the extra load.

--T

kb2syd
January 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM

--T

No. This does not work in the 1000HX or EX as is. You need a PLUS adapter and need to disconnect the drive from the mounting bracket. It fits in the 1000/1000SX ONLY.

The bit about the 1200 is a dead giveaway. That is a bog standard XT clone.