PDA

View Full Version : Help with c64!!!

Seth_reaver
January 20th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Well took out the c64 about a year ago and it worked fine for like 20 minutes. Then, randomly, the screen's colors would go black and white and not switch back. I took it out again today to make sure it worked and it was still in black and white. I decided to play some jumpman but when i turned it on again I can't get video! Help!

Bungo Pony
January 20th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I had repeated problems with the C-64's power supply. I seem to recall having color problems as you're describing. After I had two of them die on me, I started stocking up on any power supplies I came across.

per
January 20th, 2009, 03:31 AM
With black'n white, do you mean shades of grey, or pure black and white?

there might be some weak soldering joints after my guess, but I really don't know much about C64's. Somebody else here could problably give a way more detailed help than I.

Seth_reaver
January 20th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I am using a different power supply than i was given cause if i remember my old one died. The black and white that i was getting was Greyscale because in games i could tell the shades of grey.

tezza
January 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Is the signal going through the RF modulator or straight out composite video? If the RF mod, it wouldn't be that the tuning is a little off, would it? What happens if you wriggle the cable? Any change?

Tez

lackofcolor
January 20th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I am not sure if this is the problem becuase it happened so long ago for me. My C64 was acting up so I did some research and found that the sound cards can sometimes go bad. I tried my C64 without the sound card and it worked just fine. Not sure if this is your problem, but its one more thing to try.

channelmaniac
January 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Sound chip has nothing to do with color.

Culprits are: VIC-II chip, Crystal, IC driving the crystal (varies depending on make of board), RF modulator.

If the text color is all berserk then the PLA chip is the culprit.

RJ