PDA

View Full Version : Suspcious item on ebay

gerrydoire
January 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170295054956&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

There are 3 things wrong with this listing:

1. The photo used isn't the actual item, and the seller has stated he will
post them, he hasn't.

2. The seller has sold little on Ebay.

3. The higgest Bidder has a rating of 0.

DON'T FEEL RIGHT TO ME!

I WAS GOING TO BID ON THIS NOW I WOULDN'T....

frozenfire75i
January 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Ya and take a look at what he says you get?

ONE (1) IBM 5160 Mouse

ONE (1) Bonus Floppy Drive...
The bonus drive plugs into a modern pc, and writes to old 5 1/2 inch floppies.

What's a IBM 5160 Mouse? and that floppy I would love to know what it is? A USB driven 5 1/4 floppy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170295054956&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

There are 3 things wrong with this listing:

1. The photo used isnt the actual item, and the seller has stated he will
post them, he hasn't.

2. The seller has sold little on Ebay.

3. The higgest Bidder has a rating of 0.

DON'T FEEL RIGHT TO ME!

I WAS GOING TO BID ON THIS NOW I WOULDN'T....

patscc
January 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Ask him a question about what's up with the photo's.
He has some interesting stuff listed.
patscc

gerrydoire
January 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Ask him a question about what's up with the photo's.
He has some interesting stuff listed.
patscc

Look at his Mint TRS-80 with the big hole in it... lol

Chuck(G)
January 23rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
If I'm in doubt on stuff like this, I'll ask him for the serial number from the back of the system unit or some such thing that he'd have to have the unit in his possession to answer.

Ask him if it's okay if a friend of yours in area drops by to look at it. (sometimes that calls a bluff).

I think his shipping cost (to ship this safely) is way too low for what he's offering--so bidder beware.

The extra floppy may be just that.

Jorg
January 23rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Think its a typo, must be a boGus floppy..

Allen
January 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
I doubt there is anything fraudulent about his eBay listings. In fact he advertised his listings on this forum: http://vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=13905. Perhaps both of these threads should be merged.

chuckcmagee
January 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
I have learned to NEVER get into a bidding war with one of those ZERO feedback types. They usually bid it way up then never pay. Then you get the infamous 2nd chance offer for way more than you wanted to pay.

gerrydoire
January 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
I have learned to NEVER get into a bidding war with one of those ZERO feedback types. They usually bid it way up then never pay. Then you get the infamous 2nd chance offer for way more than you wanted to pay.

E X A C T L Y!

:mad:

gerrydoire
January 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
I doubt there is anything fraudulent about his eBay listings. In fact he advertised his listings on this forum: http://vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=13905. Perhaps both of these threads should be merged.

Coming here don't make him any less a crook.

Terry Yager
January 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
If you suspect he's jacking the price up with a shill account, report him to e*ay and let them investigate. Bitching about it here does no good for anyone.

--T

gerrydoire
January 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
If you suspect he's jacking the price up with a shill account, report him to e*ay and let them investigate. Bitching about it here does no good for anyone.

--T

I don't know how to do that, bitching here allows other to do so. --G

Terry Yager
January 23rd, 2009, 03:03 PM
I gotta agree, it looks a little shady, but I'm not inclined to report it, as the price hasn't yet gone too far out of the 'normal' range for the item. I'd hate to see the auction pulled by e*ay and deprive the legitimate bidder(s) of their prize.

--T

Mcnugget
January 25th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Aye thanks for the support fellas!

Its ok, Im just as skeptical with online purchases...

I havent had a good camera for ages now, I just got my hands on one today-so new pictures will be forthcoming with my ebay ID on a little slip of paper soon.

Until then heres some serial numbers-

#1-Ibm 5160
S/N56388545160

#2-TRS-80
Model Number-26-3004A
Serial Number-0008168
(OR) 8789743-0008168 (The first set of digits is tiny-I dont know it its meant to be the serial as well or not)

#3-IBM infowindow Monitor
S/N-88c3621

Thats all im going to bother putting up for now, The rest of the units are in my storage area and I dont feel like pulling them out right now. Pictures will be up tomorrow anywho, and you guys brought up a good point-I should probably include the s/ns with the auctions.

Be well, hope I helped alleviate some doubt

-Dave

Edit:
In regards to a few posts in the previous page-if anyone wants a friend (or themselves) to stop by down here and see the stock itself thats perfectly ok with me. My schedules a bit hectic, so a phone call or email before hand would be necessary. As for shill bidding my items up, ask yourself-Why would I use a ebay account with low feedback if I had others at my disposal?

Any other skepeticism is welcome with open arms, feel free to post here-in my thread-or pm me with any questions you have.

chuckcmagee
January 25th, 2009, 06:41 AM
And, I wasn't claiming it was a shill account. I have just noticed how the bidding gets out of hand with a super noobie involved. Of course, I did the same ridiculous bidding in my early ebay days, still go crazy on rare occasions.

per
January 25th, 2009, 07:21 AM
And, I wasn't claiming it was a shill account. I have just noticed how the bidding gets out of hand with a super noobie involved. Of course, I did the same ridiculous bidding in my early ebay days, still go crazy on rare occasions.

You don't beat me. I paid 50$ for only 2 5.25" FDD's. If I just waited a little, I could have gotten one for free.

Mcnugget
January 26th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Hey guys!

Just a headsup, all the auction with no bids will be relisted with pictures of my own. Im going to have around 3 pictures a unit and a piece of paper with my ebay s/n to ease any concerns. I'll also have some new stuff up tomorrow, right around the time I relist with the pictures.

I'll be listing (in addition to the relistings)

3 IBM harddrives, 1 is a seagate, the other a IMI, and another is simply an "IBM" with no manufature. These all fit old models like the 5150-5170 series.

5 5.25 floppy drives, most in good condition-a few with some minor cosmetic issues

A spare "HP" monitor circa 1988, no idea the unit it goes to-But I use it on one of my spare 5160's.

gerrydoire
January 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Hey guys!

Just a headsup, all the auction with no bids will be relisted with pictures of my own. Im going to have around 3 pictures a unit and a piece of paper with my ebay s/n to ease any concerns. I'll also have some new stuff up tomorrow, right around the time I relist with the pictures.

I'll be listing (in addition to the relistings)

3 IBM harddrives, 1 is a seagate, the other a IMI, and another is simply an "IBM" with no manufature. These all fit old models like the 5150-5170 series.

5 5.25 floppy drives, most in good condition-a few with some minor cosmetic issues

A spare "HP" monitor circa 1988, no idea the unit it goes to-But I use it on one of my spare 5160's.

You could always have the admin to this web site wipe this entire thread if he feels you are legit about your claims.

Mcnugget
January 26th, 2009, 08:45 PM
You could always have the admin to this web site wipe this entire thread if he feels you are legit about your claims.

I suppose I could, but why bother? It is irritating to post in two threads, but I plan to let this one die tomorrow once I get some pictures up. Besides, a healthy skepticism is always good. Thanks for the idea anyways though :mrgreen: