PDA

View Full Version : Total Share: Article on the history of PCs

tezza
January 26th, 2009, 01:30 AM
This article is 4 years old and some of you might have read it. I just found it tonight. It's a nice summary of microcomputer history with sales figures comparisons to boot.
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2005/12/total-share.ars

I like the way it ends on a positive note.

Tez

strollin
January 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Link worked for me, very interesting article.

DarthKur
January 26th, 2009, 12:20 PM
A good read. Thanks for the link Tezza.

chuckcmagee
January 26th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Well, it does look like the supply of cheap C64 computers will go on for some time. I know it was stupid to expect more but I tried out Flight Simulator II on a plain C64. OMG! Talk about SLOW. Most of the time I couldn't tell if it had died or was still working on updating the screen. When I have a free entire day, I'll give it another go.

Midwinter
January 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Very good read. I had not seen this before.

I thought Apple had pushed more computers out the door when they started making their computers look like candy near the turn of the century.

It is really crazy to think that there are many areas of the world where people still do not have access to personal computers after 30 years.

Terry Yager
January 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
It is really crazy to think that there are many areas of the world where people still do not have access to personal computers after 30 years.

The first step may be to wire their mud huts for electricity...

--T

Midwinter
January 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM
The first step may be to wire their mud huts for electricity...

--T

How about laptops with disposable batteries? :mrgreen:

Terry Yager
January 26th, 2009, 03:02 PM
How about laptops with disposable batteries? :mrgreen:

Actually, I think a lot of those folks would be much happier to just have a water well instead of carrying it from the village water hole half-a-mile away.

I'd love to see every child in the world have access to the Internet too, and it's good that some people are working towards that end, but let's get our priorities straight. If you have a bunch of money to throw around, how about just sending some quinine, so that a few hundred thousand fewer children will die from malaria each year?

--T

Midwinter
January 26th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Actually, I think a lot of those folks would be much happier to just have a water well instead of carrying it from the village water hole half-a-mile away.

I'd love to see every child in the world have access to the Internet too, and it's good that some people are working towards that end, but let's get our priorities straight. If you have a bunch of money to throw around, how about just sending some quinine, so that a few hundred thousand fewer children will die from malaria each year?

--T

I agree. I'm not sure a person that is going to bed hungry at night has a need to balance their checkbook using a spreadsheet or Quicken.

Unknown_K
January 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I agree. I'm not sure a person that is going to bed hungry at night has a need to balance their checkbook using a spreadsheet or Quicken. He would not be going to bed hungry if he could con fat white people into investing in his pyramid schemes or email scams using a computer.

Midwinter
January 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
He would not be going to bed hungry if he could con fat white people into investing in his pyramid schemes or email scams using a computer.

Those e-mails are scams?!?!

I thought the e-mail from the nice Nigerian gentleman saying that his money was tied up and he just needed to send it to my account was legit! I wondered why my checking account was cleaned out that night.... :rolleyes: