PDA

View Full Version : IBM PS/2 Model 60/80 floppy drive

worldexpress
December 15th, 2008, 10:09 AM
IBM PS/2 Model 80 386 for Sale (never used BRAND NEW in box)
*** ALL SOLD OUT *** THANKS EVERYONE WHO PICKED ONE UP ****
*** I STILL HAVE THESE MONITORS , HOWEVER , ANYONE ? ANYONE ? ***

13" IBM PS/2 Color Display (never used BRAND NEW in box)
MODEL NUMBER IBM 7544 ... dimensions are 49x49x39 ... 13 INCH
QTY available for Sale: 34 Monitors
Pictures available
Price: Be$t offer (shipping not included)

contact me @ 631-650-1401 x302 or e/m // I.M. for any questions ... The units are housed in my facility in Vestal, NY , zip code: 13850

Erik
December 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM
If you have pictures it might pay to post them here.

You might also include your location since that will impact shipping costs for most.

Please also consider listing these on the Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace (http://marketplace.vintage-computer.com). . .

wdatkinson
December 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Odd, considering the SOP of these forums, but do you still have these?

worldexpress
December 30th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Yes still have these ... sold ONE system so I'm down to seven , let me know if you are inteterested ... yoiu can call me at 631-650-1401 x302 or e/m me at gtsepetis@weelectronics.com, thank you

Unknown_K
December 30th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Model 80's are nice, hope somebody snags them before they get recycled (I have 2 loaded ones with upgrades).

Destro
December 30th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Wow, I'm amazed that there are NIB model 80's still around. I used to be a Network Admin for IBM, and managed a couple hundred of these...

Oh the horror of the MCA bus and Token Ring... lol...

bbishoppcm
December 31st, 2008, 11:44 PM
I was the buyer of one of his systems. I can't wait to get it! I'll post specifics (specs, etc) when it arrives.

linemanduke
January 1st, 2009, 06:15 AM
wish i had money would love one of these systems. :(

bbishoppcm
January 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Alright kids, I got my brand-new IBM PS/2 Model 80, and have made un-boxing videos for you all to see. I've posted them on my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/bbishoppcm

A few things; these machines will need new clock batteries to run properly. The Model 60 and 80 use a 6v two-cell camera battery, which is still available in most stores.

My unit was a "factory reconditioned" unit, which means that it was sold, and returned for some reason. The unit was built in late 1990, then refurbished and resold to a moving company (but never unboxed) in late 1991. After unpacking everything, there is absolutely no indication that this unit had ever seen the light of day, let alone repackaged. For all intents and purposes, these units really are BRAND NEW! Check out my videos.

worldexpress
January 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Cool ... you happy , anyone else ? I have 7 full systems left ...

Amigaz
January 12th, 2009, 07:30 AM

I would jump on the wagon but I think the shipping here would force me to eat noodles a for a month or two

frozenfire75i
January 12th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I got one! Can't wait for it to get here ;-) I will post photos of mine when it show up!

wmmullaney
January 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM
How much are you charging for shipping? What would be a resonable offer?

I know I'm ignorant :)

super-sama
January 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
How much are you charging for shipping? What would be a resonable offer?

I know I'm ignorant :)

I e-mailed him and he said the best he could do is perhaps $50 each plus $25 shipping.

I could prolly do this if I saved up some money, but right now I have only a gift card with $37 left on it and a $5 bill to my name, literally. Other monies are living monies, so no go there. :(

I'd love one of these too, I could find some nice upgrades around and turn it into something nice running Linux or WFW.

frozenfire75i
January 13th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Since I have so many DOS or WIN-TEL systems, I was going to run OS/2 on this model 80 the IBM way since it also has MCA.

I'd love one of these too, I could find some nice upgrades around and turn it into something nice running Linux or WFW.

TomFCS
January 15th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Well, I just jumped on the bandwagon too. Can't wait! :D

I've already got a couple of Model 60's - #041 and #071, which need obviously still need quite a bit of attention. This will be a great addition.

http://www.welook4things.com/sub_ps2_model_60.html

Chuckster_in_Jax
January 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I ordered one of these yesterday! I'm really anxious to get it.
Have you seen bbishoppcm's youtube video? He looks like a little kid on Christmas Day opening his presents.

I was going to run OS/2 on this model 80 the IBM way since it also has MCA.

I was thinking obout installing OS/2 also. I already have it on a couple of other PS/2's. I remember when OS/2 came out with version 2.0. I installed it on a Zenith 386 machine and it ran rather well. I loved OS/2. The GUI combined with Stardock's Object Desktop was way better than Windows 3.1 or Windows 95. It ran rings around Windows 3.1 and was much more stable. For those not familiar with OS/2, it will run DOS apps and most Windows 3.1 applications better than Windows does.

I am also considering installing AIX ver. 1.3. Has anybody had any experience with this OS?

Unknown_K
January 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Well, I just jumped on the bandwagon too. Can't wait! :D

I've already got a couple of Model 60's - #041 and #071, which need obviously still need quite a bit of attention. This will be a great addition.

http://www.welook4things.com/sub_ps2_model_60.html

The 60's are nice, I have one. Hope the floppy drives function. You have the original ESDI drives in them?

TomFCS
January 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
The 60's are nice, I have one. Hope the floppy drives function. You have the original ESDI drives in them?

The #041 has a good psu, floppy and mainboard, nothing else installed. The #071 has an untested psu and floppy, good mainboard and original ESDI. All I know about the drive right now is that it spins up ok. Haven't checked it any further.

Currently, they are both a (really slow) work in progress.

Unknown_K
January 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I ran into a problem trying to install OS/2 1.3EE onto the 60 (I think it was) because the install disks didn't know what to do with SCSI, just ESDI which I didn't have (have controller cards but no drives). I prefer SCSI anyway since I have a small stack from upgraded old Macs.

Allen
January 16th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I noticed user worldexpress attempting to sell a new IBM PS/2 Model 80 on eBay weeks ago, so I suggested that he come here to this forum instead. I knew these would be of interest to our community considering they are essentially new. I also don't see too many Model 80s (or 60s) for sale on eBay or elsewhere.

I will admit I didn't expect many of you to buy one, because I was under the impression Models 60 and 80 are very heavy and so the shipping cost might be too much. Apparently they are not that heavy.

I hope the seller found some value coming here, and I hope he will do so again if he comes across any interesting vintage and legacy computers.

sjcnj
January 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM
are these still available?

Chuckster_in_Jax
January 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I will admit I didn't expect many of you to buy one, because I was under the impression Models 60 and 80 are very heavy and so the shipping cost might be too much. Apparently they are not that heavy.

Actually, these computers are very heavy. The cost would depend on how far you are from the shipper. There are apparently many of us that are interested in the IBM PS/2 line and some of us already have several PS/2's.
I don't have a Model 60 and would interested in one if it comes avaliable.

I hope the seller found some value coming here, and I hope he will do so again if he comes across any interesting vintage and legacy computers.

I hope so too!

chuckcmagee
January 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I did some estimates on getting one shipped to me in Nevada. Likely would be close to $100 if I had the monitor shipped too. I couldn't justify getting one.

frozenfire75i
January 17th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I only paid 25 bucks shipping to MT from NY! Post Number 14 says the prices!

I did some estimates on getting one shipped to me in Nevada. Likely would be close to $100 if I had the monitor shipped too. I couldn't justify getting one.

Terry Yager
January 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Any left?

--T

TomFCS
January 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I will admit I didn't expect many of you to buy one,

If it's genuine IBM stuff, I'm always interested! :)

bbishoppcm
January 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I bought one of the systems, and the floppy drive seems to have gone bad. Does anyone have a Model 60 or 80 floppy drive to spare??

-Brandon

bbishoppcm
January 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I need a floppy drive for my brand-new IBM Model 80 386. Anyone out there have one for sale?

Yzzerdd
January 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I don't have one, but I can tell you a few others that got this system are having the same problems. I hope mine's OK when I get it tomorrow, but I've got an extra system that needs an HDD I can part out if I must, for now.

--Ryan

linemanduke
January 27th, 2009, 03:23 AM
if they are mitsubishi drives its because the need new capacitors like my model 60's drive did.

frozenfire75i
January 27th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I kinda of thought the systems would have problems, systems just can't take sitting around that long without being used! Caps and orther stuff just can't handle it.

Can't use them (Vintage Systems) to much or to little.

if they are mitsubishi drives its because the need new capacitors like my model 60's drive did.

Yzzerdd
January 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/UniversalRiot/IBM%20PS2%2080/

There's my IBM PS/2 Model 80. I invite you all to join my club, the IBM PS/2(80) owner's club. It's an exclusive club for IBM PS/2 owner's. It came to me while unboxing my IBM PS/2 80, which, by the way, looks fantastic.

As expected, it came up with a 601 error--FDD failed power-on diagnostics. I will replace the drive in a moment with a compatable drive. The smell of NOS IBM is great. Yes, I realize that these machines were refurbs(checks machine back for sticker)..yup, a refurb. But by condition and cleanliness, and the fact that there isn't a smudge on it, I'm willing to say that when IBM had to redo a computer, they did just that. They seem to have replaced all internal components with fresh new ones, and by the looks of it, the case to. The old components were likely either recycled or sent through to be totally tested and redone, and either the same components or already tested ones were then put in the computer. Thats my guess anyhow.

The keys it came with have a keychain, enscribed:

REXNORD-CAMILOC
601 Route 45 West
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ 07604

Anyone recognize the address? I take it thats either the original owner or a keymaker. Still, this thing was in a sealed box, so I'm sure it was never used.

The geniuses at IBM included many duplicates, such as keyboard cables and setup guides. I got two Reference books as well. One is in the standard booklet with all the info and disk, the other, without the "And Reference DIskette" on the manual has holes-punched so you can put it in a binder. I was almost dissapointed not to find two computers, or at least two keyboards. LOL.

Anyone know how to get this drive out? In my other PS/2 you pulled up on a tab and it came out. Can't get this one to budge.
EDIT: Let it be noted the necessary information for this was in the Quick Ref. When all else fails, read the manual!

--Ryan
http://vintage-computer.com/vcforum/group.php?groupid=4

Yzzerdd
January 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM
An update occurs.

I got a disk drive installed. I took the one out of my PS/2 70 with a dead HDD and installed it. It's not pretty, as there is no faceplate. I wanted to install one, but this drive is just slightly longer, and if I could get it to go back 1/5 inch I KNOW I could have one installed. I tried everything though, and just couldn't get it to go. Oh well. It doesn't look that bad, and being under the desk, I don't have to look at it anyways. I do, though, and nearly crap myself everytime I realize it's MINE.

Currently I am upgrading my IBM DOS 5.0(That I installed myself, just ask for images) to DOS 6.0, then to 6.2, then to 6.22. I have to have 6.2 to install 6.22, so go figure. Afterwards, I will install Windows 3.11 and some games.

I don't think I mentioned it above, but I've said it elsewhere. The reason I don't have a monitor is because I don't have any money to ship it. BUT, whenever I get the money, if it's still around, I'll have a NOS monitor, too. For now, I am using an 8513 that came with my other PS/2.

I am overall happy about the deal on this system, even if the FDD doesn't work for some reason. I don't know why. The motor spins the corkscrew freely, and the heads track to 0 when I put them as far as I can. Heads look fine as well. Ideas? No capacitors are leaking on it, so thats about as far as I can go here. I may look at the Hardware Service Manual just in case it has anything. At least I have a working system now though, even if it's face is distorted.

--Ryan

bbishoppcm
January 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Do you have any idea which capacitors are "bad?" I see about seven of them, none are leaking.

Yzzerdd
January 27th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Did your drive work before? I got my system in today and the drive doesn't work. If you see the thread "Ryan's PS/2 80" under "Later PCs" you'll read that I got a drive installed, though. If you're not looking for a pretty fix but want to be able to use your system, you can pull the drive out of any card-edge-connecting PS/2 and get it to work. I had to remove the mount off my drive to get it in, then to stop the rubbing the spindle was doing on the metal chassis, I had to pop the mounter on the original drive and slide it in. No faceplate, though, as the drive stuck out a bit too far. Do you have any extra drives to do this with?

Hoping for a fix or a new drive soon! I want this thing to be showcaseable!

--Ryan
BTW, my caps look fine, too.

TomFCS
January 27th, 2009, 07:23 PM
An update occurs.

I got a disk drive installed. I took the one out of my PS/2 70 with a dead HDD and installed it. It's not pretty, as there is no faceplate. I wanted to install one, but this drive is just slightly longer, and if I could get it to go back 1/5 inch I KNOW I could have one installed. I tried everything though, and just couldn't get it to go. Oh well. It doesn't look that bad, and being under the desk, I don't have to look at it anyways. I do, though, and nearly crap myself everytime I realize it's MINE.

Currently I am upgrading my IBM DOS 5.0(That I installed myself, just ask for images) to DOS 6.0, then to 6.2, then to 6.22. I have to have 6.2 to install 6.22, so go figure. Afterwards, I will install Windows 3.11 and some games.

I don't think I mentioned it above, but I've said it elsewhere. The reason I don't have a monitor is because I don't have any money to ship it. BUT, whenever I get the money, if it's still around, I'll have a NOS monitor, too. For now, I am using an 8513 that came with my other PS/2.

I am overall happy about the deal on this system, even if the FDD doesn't work for some reason. I don't know why. The motor spins the corkscrew freely, and the heads track to 0 when I put them as far as I can. Heads look fine as well. Ideas? No capacitors are leaking on it, so thats about as far as I can go here. I may look at the Hardware Service Manual just in case it has anything. At least I have a working system now though, even if it's face is distorted.

--Ryan

Hey Ryan,

If this will help, in a move of bravery or perhaps sheer stupidity, I decided to pull the logic board off of my only functional drive and try it on one of the new ones. Good news, the drive mechanics appear to be fine. Passed all ref tests. I'll do the same with the other drive soon, but so far it looks to be an electronics problem. Something I am NOT qualified to repair!

Yzzerdd
January 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Well in MY sheer stupidity, when I took off the drive board to look into the mechanics of the drive(which seemed fine), I didn't note where the cord to the LEFT of the drive card edge went. Rather, there is some sort of black object attached to it. Where does it go? Could you upload some closeups of this object? I thought it might be a sensor but cannot find where it goes.

Installing Windows 3.11 on mine--disk 6.

--Ryan

Druid6900
January 27th, 2009, 07:28 PM
They are probably a run of NODS (New Old Defective Stock) that were shipped and returned to IBM because of a bad run of floppy drives.

Since a tear down and repair/retest of the units would not economically feasible if the had a ton of the units ready to ship already, they probably got stockpiled and, eventually, sold off for next to nothing.

You people are obsessed with capacitors. I've got stuff that has been sitting, unused, in unheated garages in Canada for 20 years and you power them up and away they go.

Formed capacitors will last a long, long time without degrading.

patscc
January 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Druid6900 said...You people are obsessed with capacitors

I think it's because they're easy to replace, and electrolytes especially will almost never read the value printed on the can anyway, since they tend to have pretty wide tolerances, but it's something to point at and go 'ooh, that don't look to good', so it's satisfying to be able to do something.

If I get something new & strange, I might check the caps out, but stuff that I've had for ages I'll power up. I've had people tell me electrolytic caps freeze if they get too cold. Go figure.
Caps are a lot more robust than people give them credit for, at least ones in computers. If you're talking about old paper-style ones that run at high voltage, like in old tube equipment, that's a slightly different story, but they're pretty sturdy, too.
Back in the day when I used to repair TV's & other consumer gear, the most trouble I had with caps was with equipment that a customer would bring in after having taken it to another repair shop, worked fine for a few months, then bang.
I'd open the unit up, and nine times out ten it would be a cap in the horizontal section that had shorted because the other shop stuck a generic cap in there. Caps have all sorts of different characteristics other than the voltage rating and capacitance, and if you don't know what you're doing, or take the time to do a bit of research, you can really screw stuff up.

patscc

billdeg
January 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I've always admired the model 80. A year ago I replaced a model 70 drive, and I remember that the drives are not interchangeable. I wonder if a mod 60 drive would fit becase the chassis are about the same.

Yzzerdd
January 27th, 2009, 07:53 PM
From a bit of research, it appears that the Model 60 drives would indeed work. As a matter of fact, the 30 and 65 drives SHOULD also work. At any rate, I'm looking for at least ONE of these drives, and/or a working controller board. I'd like to ideally have two floppy drives in this thing, but at least one original.

Does anyone know what the front lower cover is for? It looks like it's removable to mount more stuff in, or 5.25 drives. As a matter of fact, there is a drive cage inside and the cover appears removable fairly easily. I realize that cage is for a second HDD, but has anyone heard of taking off that plate and putting additional equiptment there, such as a 5.25 drive, an SCSI device, or something?

--Ryan

IBMMuseum
January 27th, 2009, 09:46 PM
From a bit of research, it appears that the Model 60 drives would indeed work. As a matter of fact, the 30 and 65 drives SHOULD also work...

By ¨30¨, you mean the 8086-based Model 30 (the 30 286 used 34-pin drives). And those floppy drives are 720Kb. Although there doesn´t seem to be as many around, I´ve never seen the Sony brand of drives (designed for systems like the 80) fail quite like the other versions.

Does anyone know what the front lower cover is for? It looks like it's removable to mount more stuff in, or 5.25 drives. As a matter of fact, there is a drive cage inside and the cover appears removable fairly easily. I realize that cage is for a second HDD, but has anyone heard of taking off that plate and putting additional equiptment there, such as a 5.25 drive, an SCSI device, or something?

Usually it is just to help access a hard drive in the forward bay, but CD-ROMs or even internal 5-1/4¨ floppy drives (a particular MCA board with an FDC) can be put there (there is special replacement bezel for those)...

linemanduke
January 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
all of the lytics (small silver cylinders) are bad some of mine were even leaking. its something about the brand they used.also "You people are obsessed with capacitors. I've got stuff that has been sitting, unused, in unheated garages in Canada for 20 years and you power them up and away they go." im working on an 80s vcr were just because the used one off brand of capacitor :cough:sanyo:cough: the head spins at the wrong speed.

patscc
January 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
linemanduke said...all of the lytics (small silver cylinders) are bad
Aside from the leaky ones, what did the bad ones test out to ?
patscc

TomFCS
January 27th, 2009, 10:15 PM
All I know is that I was really, really uncomfortable with the idea of dismantling a perfectly good drive and using it's logic board to test an unknown drive with. I would have felt super foolish if I'd ended up destroying the only functional drive I own while performing this half-brained test of mine. :)

The good news is that I repeated the process on drive #02, with the known good logic board, and the second drive passed all of the reference disk tests as well.

I'm not really sure if all of these machines have the same exact problem, but the two drives I have, appear to be defective in a similar way.

I'll try and post some clearer pics of the drive tomorrow. The ones I've already taken didn't turn out all that well. Really fuzzy. I don't think I am ever going to get the hang of the settings on this stupid camera.

Tom

linemanduke
January 27th, 2009, 10:16 PM
the only real way to test them is with an esr meter which i don't have and not going to pretend i know how to use.

but the problem with these is they just go leaky and by leaky i don't mean fluid leaking i mean they let to much electricity through or leak electricity. the capacitors on these drives just have a problem with aging badly same as the capacitors in my VCR.

Allen
January 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I want to comment on possible diskette drive replacements for the Model 80, since this information may be useful if repairing the original drives isn't possible. Based on my experience with IBM PS/2 diskette drives and after researching the PS/2 hardware maintenance manual (83G8990), it seems to me that a variety of diskette drives are compatible with the Model 80.

Here is a listing of possible diskette drives:

FRU part number 64F0162 (ASM part numbers include 64F1008, 72X6068, 72X6112)
Description: 34-pin, 1/3 height, small/thin button, LED located below slot
Applicable IBM PS/2 models: 25, 30, 55, 60, 65, 80, 85, 90, 95

FRU part number 64F0207 (ASM part numbers include 15F7503)
Description: 40-pin, 1/3 height, small/thin button, LED located below slot
Applicable IBM PS/2 models: 50, 70

FRU part number 72X8523 (ASM part numbers include 90X6766)
Description: 40-pin, 1/2 height, big/thick button, LED located above slot
Applicable IBM PS/2 models: 30, 60, 65, 80

It would appear the new Model 80s discussed here have FRU part number 72X8523 (card-edge connector with large button). FRU part number 64F0207 should also work (same kind of drive but with a smaller button). I say this because my Model 50s can use both 64F0207 (original) and 72X8523. The only problem here is finding a matching bezel (LED position, button hole). FRU part number 64F0162 should also work because some 60, 65, and 80 models originally came with the 34-pin connector with the small button. Again, with this one you need a matching bezel and a proper cable.

IBMMuseum
January 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
...The only problem here is finding a matching bezel (LED position, button hole). FRU part number 64F0162 should also work because some 60, 65, and 80 models originally came with the 34-pin connector with the small button. Again, with this one you need a matching bezel and a proper cable.

And a proper drive sled (the spacer or platform under the drive). After the initial PS/2 models (30, 50, 60, 70, 80), the drives shifted to 34-pin (power and data on the cable) units. As the submodels advanced for the original systems, some of them also were modified to have the 34-pin units. But in many cases the 34-pin drives (like on the P70 and P75 models) could be as troublesome as the 40-pin edge-connector versions.

I'll expand more with time, showing the upgrades that can be done to some units, and what I think will be the better fix...

Bezels are a minor point, and I have to see what I can do in that regard...

patscc
January 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I'm curious if they're all from the same batch.
I haven't powered mine up yet, so I don't know if the floppy works or not. I need to have a little think about it.
The S/N of my drive is: G30163942, and it's a Mitsu MF355W-99M# with a date code of Mar 89.
patscc

patscc
January 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I've got mine out, and the cover off. There's a couple of spots where the solder by the caps looks suspect, and one of them looks like the solder paste didn't quite melt during reflow.
I'll post some pics later tonight, and see if I can do some in-circuit testing with the power off of the little buggers to see if they truly are bad, or if it's just a crappy solder job.
I did notice a bit of tarnish on the trim pots. I'll try checking them as well to see if maybe the wiper needs some attention.
On the motor PCB, there's a 33uF one, C9, where the solder looks particularily ucky.

Has anyone been able to observe if the screw transport for the head is moving freely ?

Now I gotta go and find the 'ol magnifying glass.

patscc

Yzzerdd
January 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM
At first I had some trouble getting the corkscrew head mover to bugdge, but even after I got it to move freely I had the same issue. I tracked it as far foward as i could and upon power-up it tracks to 0.

--Ryan

Druid6900
January 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
It could well be that the drive logic on these drives suffered from not having the solder in the solder bath not quite hot enough during their wave soldering process.

It wouldn't be the first time it's happened to a piece of electronic equipment.

Perhaps someone that has one and is good with a soldering iron could reflow all the components from the solder side of the board and see if that helps alleviate the problem.

I only suggest this because the drives all seem to be from the same manufacturer.

patscc
January 28th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Druid6900 said...soldering iron could reflow all the components from the solder side of the board
There are components on both sides of the logic board & both sides are soldered. Haven't pulled it completely off yet (no table space to unfurl the 'ol anti-static mat), but looking at the bottom with a flashlight shows a couple of inductors( coil on form construction, NOT encapsulated), that might need a touch of the iron as well.
The problem is if I do all the stuff to the drive I can think of first (including touching up the solder), and it ends up working, we won't know if it was my pre-power up fiddling with it or just luck. And conversely, if it ends up a dud, we won't know if it's because of my fiddling.
So what to do, power up and see, or fiddle first ?
Has anyone's floppy worked right out the box ? And come on, post your floppy's serial numbers dates, it would be real interesting to see if they're from the same time frame.

Edit: This seems to running in parallel with the "IBM PS/2 Model 60/80 floppy drive" thread in the wanted section. That's where I put my serial number, and an earlier post describing the some of the poor-looking solder joints, so now I'm all kinds of confused between the two threads.

patscc

Allen
January 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Drive slides--I knew I was forgetting something. You're right about the bezels as they are not a big deal unless the look of your PS/2 is important. I hope your project to retrofit a modern floppy drive for use in a PS/2 is successful--one of these days there won't be any more original PS/2 diskette drives that actually work.

TomFCS
January 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Drive - #01 - S/N G30176481 - Date March 1989 - MF355W-99M3
Drive - #02 - S/N ????????? - Date Sept 1989 - MF355W-99M3

Can't locate S/N on 2nd drive.

And I agree, multiple threads on this is getting confusing.

Chuckster_in_Jax
January 28th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Well, add my name to the group. I finally got around to setting my 8580 up and just like everybody else, my floppy is bad. I removed it from the drive bay and took off the cover to see if the head was binding. It looked fine. During startup the head would move back and forth freely. However when the boot from floppy started you could see the head move and start reading the disk. Then it would just stop. I had a spare I got off of eB@y a couple of years ago and it was bad also. Next I took a floppy out of a Model 70 and hooked it up to the 8580. This drive worked fine, boots up and reads the reference disk. I'll be able to load as OS to the hard drive with it. Unfortunately, it won't fit in the 8580.

chuckcmagee
January 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
That 2nd picture of the caps reminds me of the movie Andromeda Strain (1971 original version) or maybe that one where the rocks grow into huge spires when they get wet.

chuckcmagee
January 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Let's consolidate on this thread http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=14018

chuckcmagee
January 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Let's consolidate on this thread http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=14018

IBMMuseum
January 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM
...FRU part number 64F0162 should also work because some 60, 65, and 80 models originally came with the 34-pin connector with the small button. Again, with this one you need a matching bezel and a proper cable.

My 65SX has a 34-pin drive, like an 80-Axx. The 65SX was a strange system, with a 386SX-16, but XGA and uncached (¨Tribble¨) SCSI adapters added in for increased performance. With some IDC parts (40-pin connector, a couple 34-pin connectors, and a 40-pin cable length) you could make your own cable for the 34-pin drives.

IBMMuseum
January 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM
...With some IDC parts (40-pin connector, a couple 34-pin connectors, and a 40-pin cable length) you could make your own cable for the 34-pin drives.

The twist is in the cable in the same position as old floppy cables (pins 10 - 16), but I see pin 1 clipped between the drive B to drive A segment. Pin 3 of the cable actually goes to pin 38 on the 40-pin connector. Also deflected on the same connection is pin 6 of the cable going to pin 40.

bbishoppcm
January 28th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I actually work for John Bachman, the founder/owner/engineer of Anatek Corporation, maker of the Blue ESR meter. Actually, if you own one of these (pre-built), there's a 90% chance I actually built it. Anyway, I don't believe the issue is related to the capacitors entirely... these little cans are one of the higher quality variety, and unless they're leaking... hmm... it could be an engineering problem, and replacing the capacitors may only be a temporary fix. I'm still on the hunt for another drive so I can install my brand-new copy of Windows 3.1 (IBM OEM copy!!).

IBMMuseum
January 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
...it could be an engineering problem, and replacing the capacitors may only be a temporary fix...

IBM, or one of its contractors designing the boards, reversed a capacitor on two of the Cirrus Logic video circuits they released. Us hobbyists didn´t discover the flaw until years later, and all IBM documentation alluded to a problem but had not localized it. It is an easy fix, now well documented by those that run that circuitry now.

patscc
January 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Ok, I don't think they're leaking. I think it's solder paste, at least on mine that's what it is.
I've attached some pictures of the caps, the tarnished trimmers, and so on.

Also, since I had the logic board off, I went ahead and advanced the head drive screw by hand, and retarded it as well. The head moved in s slightly jerky fashion, and what I think is happening is that the sleeve that the rail goes through on the left side is sticking.

So before I muck around with the board, I'm going to pull the rail out & do some degunking & lubing. Probably not before the weekend, though, but I'll post back with if the lubing made a difference or not.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/patscc/PS2_80_Floppy_Trimmers.jpg
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/patscc/PS2_80_Floppy_Tilted_Cap.jpg
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/patscc/PS2_80_Floppy_Paste_Cap.jpg
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/patscc/PS2_80_Floppy_Motor_ap.jpg
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/patscc/PS2_80_Floppy_Bottom_right.jpg
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/patscc/PS2_80_Floppy_Bottom_Left.jpg

bbishoppcm
January 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Well, I took my drive apart and found a lot of "bone dry" friction producing areas (the head assembly, where it slides against the top plate, and the actual rod on which the whole assembly slides). I lubed these areas with lithium grease, with no change. I have noticed that it works fine on a cold boot or just after running the reference disk (it seemingly never fails to load the ref disk nomatter what), and after getting it started, she worked flawlessly... im installing windows 3.1 right now. Also, the stepper motor that drives the corkscrew gets EXTREMELY hot.

bbishoppcm
January 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I just noticed a few ICs that have solder bridged leads on both upper and lower boards... can one of you check to see if you see anything like that?

patscc
January 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM
If you're talking about the large quad flatpack with bridged leads on a couple of sides right in the middle, that's kosher, they're grounding straps. If you look at it real close, you'll see that the traces under the pins are together as well.
patscc

Terry Yager
January 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM

OK, y'all asked for it...

--T

IBMMuseum
January 31st, 2009, 06:57 PM
...I'll expand more with time, showing the upgrades that can be done to some units, and what I think will be the better fix...

First off, at the low-end the 8086-based Model 25 came with a 720Kb drive (usually they were the 34-pin units). This can be swapped with a 1.44Mb drive, and you don´t even have to run the ¨Starter Diskette¨ (ISA PS/2s had ¨Starter Diskettes¨, not ¨Reference Diskettes¨). I believe the Model 25 takes the diskette drive upgrade a little better than the 8086-based Model 30 because it was released later and has a later BIOS.

bbishoppcm
March 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Well, mine is fixed, thanks to the kindness of Allen. I bought one of his Alps drives, and she's working like a new machine again! I still have my old drive, so if anyone finds a fix and needs parts, or a sled, let me know.

Raven
April 5th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I am interested in your monitors - could you please tell me what shipping would be on a per-monitor basis to Dover, DE 19904? I realize this may well change with the number ordered, so please post a few numbers (i.e., x5, x10, x30). Depending on the costs and then acceptance of price offers, I might buy you out in a few weeks. Either way I'll end up getting a few.

Have any other things left that you didn't mention on the front page? Keyboards/Mice? Other comps?