PDA

View Full Version : Iomega Jaz

kb2syd
January 27th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Does anyone have the DOS tools disk for the Jaz 2GB? How about any ideas on how to reformat one that has been formatted for use in a non-dos environment (akai da-8)? I have a bunch that I'd like to use on my Windows 3.1 machine.

Failing that, does anyone have a functioning 2GB Jaz unit that they could bring up in linux and do a DD dump of so I can see if this will re-write the MBR? I can format the disk, but at the end it errors out because it can't find the partition table.

Thanks,
Kelly

Chuck(G)
January 27th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Which interface do you use? If it's SCSI, you can treat the drive like an ordinary hard drive and use something like the Adaptec EZ-SCSI software to partition and format the disk.

Failing that, I do have the tools disk (don't recall if it's the 1 or 2 GB, though).

If you don't mind using Windows, the tools are also available from the Iomega ftp site:

ftp://download.iomega.com/english.public

kb2syd
January 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Running the large ioware binaries still result in a request for the tools disk. Is it possible for you to zip up the contents of a tools directory and send it along?

patscc
January 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
If it's SCSI, have you tried low-level fornmatting it with th controller ?
That'll clean it up, and then, if you have NT, XP or linux, you can use the tools that ship with them to create a FAT16 partition.
patscc

Chuck(G)
January 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Let me dig it up--it might be a day or two before I can get to it.

EDIT

Have you tried the Iomega DOS551.EXE (ftp://ftp.mpoli.fi/pub/hardware/HDD/IOMEGA/DOS_551.EXE) DOS toolkit yet?