PDA

View Full Version : ATI Radeon 9250 in mac with pci slots

JT64
January 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have a Radeon 9250 laying around will it work in a Mac with pci slots?

JT

Unknown_K
January 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I have a Radeon 9250 laying around will it work in a Mac with pci slots?

JT

Mac video cards need a mac bios to work, so unless a PC card is modified to have mac bios it will not work.

NeXT
January 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM
If you know what you are doing that's a pretty simple task as I just reflashed a PC Radeon 7000 PCI last Monday to work on my 8600.

I found this site (http://themacelite.wikidot.com/start) to be the best source on what to do and which cards it can be done with.

JT64
January 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
If you know what you are doing that's a pretty simple task as I just reflashed a PC Radeon 7000 PCI last Monday to work on my 8600.

I found this site (http://themacelite.wikidot.com/start) to be the best source on what to do and which cards it can be done with.

That was interesting, so now i just need to get hold of a 9200 with 128 MB, unfortunatly there never were any 9250 for mac.

Well it shouldnt be impossible i think i gave my brother an older PC with 9200 or 9000 i think we switch >D good deal for me.

Thank you!

Ooops just found out there was a 9250 rom thanks again.

JT

NeXT
January 29th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Make sure you properly reprogram that card. If you mess up, the card is useless.

andy
February 14th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I used to modify a lot of PC ATI cards to work with a Mac. The biggest problem you will have is that most Mac cards have a bigger BIOS EEPROM than the PC version. You will probably need to replace the EEPROM with one that's twice as big. There may be some surface mount resistors on the board that have to be moved so that the card recognizes the new EEPROM size. The easiest way to figure it out is to carefully compare an equivalent Mac card.

I'm not sure which type of EEPROM the 9250 uses, but there's a chance your video card already has the right size EEPROM, but that the jumpers were configured for the smaller size. Later ATI cards use a 25P05 EEPROM. If you card has a 25P05V6 (must end in V6) all you will need to do is move the jumper resistors if you can find out how they need to be moved. If it ends in anything else, then you will need to replace it with a 25P10. I discovered that the 25P05V6 is actually a 25P10 that was sold as the smaller size.

The good news is that it's hard to kill an ATI card. Even if the flash doesn't work, you can restore the original BIOS by working blind in DOS, or by using a second video card.

jh1523
February 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I've had good results with flashing Radeon 9500 cards from PC to Mac. I highly recommend that site as well (used to be called Strangedogs). The 9500s are basically "9700 lite", which in turn are almost on par with the 9800 performance-wise. There used to be a source of cheap PCI 9500 cards on eBay, but I hust checked that vendor and he doesn't have any at the moment.

Here is an account of my first successful mod of a 9500 from the old strangedogs board:
http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=experiments&action=display&thread=1579&page=1#

tevion5
May 6th, 2015, 10:52 AM
That was interesting, so now i just need to get hold of a 9200 with 128 MB, unfortunatly there never were any 9250 for mac.

Well it shouldnt be impossible i think i gave my brother an older PC with 9200 or 9000 i think we switch >D good deal for me.

Thank you!

Ooops just found out there was a 9250 rom thanks again.

JT

Have you confirmation of good results flashing a 9250 to work in a Mac? I am considering one for my 8600. I see a modified ROM for the 9250 but I don't know who likely it is to work.

Thanks!

GiGaBiTe
May 12th, 2015, 08:53 PM
The only way you'll know if it works is if you try. Just be sure to make a dump of the original PC ROM for the card in case the flashing process goes wrong.

The number one issue you'll run into is that PPC ROMs are generally larger than PC ROMs and may not fit in the flash chip on the video card. You'll know if this is the case when you dump the PC ROM and see the PC and Mac ROMs are different sizes.

Eriond
September 20th, 2015, 03:37 AM
I used to modify a lot of PC ATI cards to work with a Mac. The biggest problem you will have is that most Mac cards have a bigger BIOS EEPROM than the PC version. You will probably need to replace the EEPROM with one that's twice as big. There may be some surface mount resistors on the board that have to be moved so that the card recognizes the new EEPROM size. The easiest way to figure it out is to carefully compare an equivalent Mac card.

I'm not sure which type of EEPROM the 9250 uses, but there's a chance your video card already has the right size EEPROM, but that the jumpers were configured for the smaller size. Later ATI cards use a 25P05 EEPROM. If you card has a 25P05V6 (must end in V6) all you will need to do is move the jumper resistors if you can find out how they need to be moved. If it ends in anything else, then you will need to replace it with a 25P10. I discovered that the 25P05V6 is actually a 25P10 that was sold as the smaller size.

The good news is that it's hard to kill an ATI card. Even if the flash doesn't work, you can restore the original BIOS by working blind in DOS, or by using a second video card.

I have tried reflashing my 9250 before I changed the configuration resistors, and after. Both attempts result in the same error message (see attacked screenshot).
One more finding is that the latest version of ATIFLASH available, 4.17, didn't recognize the card. I had to revert back to 3.99 to get it to work at all.

The chip on my card is a 25P05VP, which considering andys post above, might not work. Although when I made the backup dum of the Intel BIOS, I ended up with a 128KB file.
The same goes for restoring the Intel BIOS after the failed PPC attempts; ATIFLASH reports $20000 out of $20000 bytes written ok, while with the PPC BIOS it halts at $10000.

I'm not so sure about the version found at http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2 , so if anyone could be so kind and share an original ATI 2950 PPC BIOS, I would be really greatful!

Regards,
E

GiGaBiTe
September 20th, 2015, 06:12 AM
You could try flashing a regular 9200 BIOS on it and crossing your fingers it works. The 9200, 9200SE and 9250 are all the same chip, they just have different core clocks and the SE has a 64 bit memory bus.