PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro 4 (IV) Help

Midwinter
January 30th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I am not sure if I have a software or a hardware problem so I randomly chose hardware... :p

I recently picked up a Kaypro 4 (IV - the '83 model) for pocket change.

It did not come with a boot disk so I ordered one from Ebay. I don't have another computer currently that I can write images to a 5 1/4 disk.

The Boot Disk came and said Kaypro 4 copyright 77. (I point this out because I'm not sure if this boot disk will work with either model of Kaypro 4 or if I still need another desk because here is my problem:

System powers on. (I have already placed my boot disk in the A: drive)
The power light is on. The A: drive light is on. The screen is on.
The screen instructs me to put the boot disk in the A: drive.

Questions:
1.Can anyone let me know if I have the correct boot disk or if the computer should be letting me know that the disk in the drive is not bootable?

2. If I do not have a boot disk problem is there anything else I should troubleshoot before looking to replace the floppy drive?

Terry Yager
January 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Your version of TRSDOS (LSDOS) should work in any M4. Are you putting the disk into the lower drive? That is the boot drive (:0).
If yes, then the next easiest test (assuming cleaning & lubing the drives has been done) will be to swap the cables/drives around and see if it boots from the other one.

--T

Kaypro
January 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM
So, you mean you put the Disk in the drive, and the computer just sits at the "Insert Disk into Drive A:" prompt (Drive A is the Top drive)?
The problem might also be with the Boot disk, which is for a Kaypro 4, not a IV (There are differences between the two).

And, uhhhh, Terry, No Kaypro I know of uses TRSDOS/LSDOS...I think you mistook Kaypro IV for Model IV...

Though what Terry says about the drives is right. You should try swapping drive cables and/or Cleaning/Servicing the drives too.

Terry Yager
January 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Damn dyslexia! I coulda swore it said...

The good news is, KP is right. There are different bootdisks for different K-4/IV models. The other good news is that a Kaypro is a lot easier to dig into than a Trash-80.

Does your KAYPRO try to boot or read the disk, or just do nothing?

--T

Druid6900
January 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Damn dyslexia! I coulda swore it said...

--T

Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE !!!!

Sharkonwheels
January 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM
And let me guess....
You bought a $10 single boot diskette from Dynacomp software, and it doesn't work :)

Common - been heard a bunch of times, and they continue with it.

To clarify, there is a IV, a 4/83, and a 4/84. A IV is *NOT* a 4/83.

I'll look around this weekend and see if I can find my originals.
I have an original set of Kaypro IV disks somewhere, and they are literally
"ink-stamped" with 'IV' on them :) talk about saving money on printing.

T

Midwinter
January 31st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

The boot disk I have is labeled "Kaypro 4".

I am assuming that I have a Kaypro 4 '83 based off of the technical specs I have read. (I do not have the built in modem, etc...) "Kaypro 4" are the graphics along the side of my machine. PN# 81-004. (maybe not an '83 based off of the part number?)

My top drive is the A: drive, but it doesn't sound like the computer is trying to access the drive even though the drive light is lit. I will need to open her up and verify the cables are still plugged in or if the drive is any good.

The Kaypro drives weren't really quiet were they? I guess that is a hard question to answer knowing that Kaypros didn't ship with standard drives.

Midwinter
January 31st, 2009, 08:55 AM
And let me guess....
You bought a $10 single boot diskette from Dynacomp software, and it doesn't work :)

Common - been heard a bunch of times, and they continue with it.

Just reviewed my Ebay transaction and this is indeed where I picked up my boot disk. Is this guy a scammer? I had never read about this seller on here... :(

He took advantage of one more sucker - me! :mrgreen:

Sharkonwheels
February 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM
Don't think I'd go as far as labelling them "scammers."

Issue is, there is a Kaypro IV, a Kaypro 4/83, and a Kaypro 4/84.

A IV is obvious enough...I also think it had FH FDD's...
A 4/83 will have 24-pin ROM socket, and a 4/84 will have a 28-pin ROM socket.

4/84 mainboard will also have all connectors on right side edge (as viewed from front) usually with either the holes for a 40-or-50-pin connector (between the FDD and power connectors) or sometimes even with the 40-or-50-pin header soldered in.

Kaypro didn't really use non-standard FDD's - you can pretty much swap in just about any 5.25" FDD's as long as they will mount...Now Osborne used non-standard, even down to taking power from the ribbon cable.

Edit: I looked at the seller's auctions, and they list a boot disk for a Kaypro IV, and you're saying yours says "Kaypro 4," which should be
different boot disks. The IV and 4 are different machines.

T

chuckcmagee
February 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM
Yes, scammers is overboard. I got something from them, can't remember what it was but I got everything I had expected. It is fairly clear in their listings that most of this stuff is used, not NOS.