PDA

View Full Version : Circular Thinking?

Terry Yager
February 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Last Thursday, I received in the mail, an American Community Survey packet from the "US Census Bureau"* (anyone else get one of these?). The cover letter begins with the following sentence:

"I recently sent a letter to your household about the American Community Survey."

OK, fine...'cept I never got said letter. So today (Monday), I find in my mailbox, another communication, from the same government entity. It's opening sentence reads:

"A few days ago, you should have received an American Community Survey questionnaire."

Bungling Bureaucratic DoubleThink**? A paradox spun off from a ripple in the space/time continuum?? Or have they actually managed to hitch the plow in front of the mule???
------------------------------------------

** See Ministry Of Truth

* Has anyone else seen a "census taker" in the past few months (not due until 2010), or was that just a clever ploy to verify my whereabouts? Boy, he sure had me fooled...

--T

barythrin
February 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
I don't think I've ever received one. Guess I'm not an important statistic. I'd imagine there's probably someone in the government you could call if you really wanted to verify the validity of the survey. Other than that I don't see any reason to waste your time on a voluntary survey so you can probably just file 13 it.

Terry Yager
February 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Oh, I have no doubt that some govt agency is checking up on me. Deal is, this cover letter also says that my address was "part of a randomly selected sample", but when the "census taker" was at my door last September, his cover story was also that my house had been 'randomly selected'. Coincidence...?

BTW, FWIW, my girl Sheila has also been 'randomly selected' by the IRS for a 'routine' audit. Hmmmn...

--T

Druid6900
February 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Time to apply to the Canadian Consulate for sanctuary, T.

I'll sponser you if you bring that box of stuff that you've been shipping for, what, 8 months now?

I'd mention that MikeS is creeping up on your "real soon now" record, but, then you guys would get into a pissing contest and I'd never get anything LOL

MikeS
February 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, don't give us ideas! As you (and Pournelle) say: Real Soon Now!

But what goes around comes around; I've been sitting on something that's supposed to go to T for a few months now. Actually I'd lost it in the meantime and just found it again yesterday, so the clock starts fresh; bet he's long forgotten what it is.

And for G's sake don't ask Lawrence how long he's been waiting for his keyboard...

Druid6900
February 3rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah, don't give us ideas! As you (and Pournelle) say: Real Soon Now!

But what goes around comes around; I've been sitting on something that's supposed to go to T for a few months now. Actually I'd lost it in the meantime and just found it again yesterday, so the clock starts fresh; bet he's long forgotten what it is.

And for G's sake don't ask Lawrence how long he's been waiting for his keyboard...

Oh, like the EGA monitor that Lawrence was shipping me last year? LOL

I guess vintage equipment comes with Round-tuits :)

Terry Yager
February 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I was going to make it my New Year resolution to stop procrastinating, but I slept thru the whole day, so I put it off till next year.

--T