PDA

View Full Version : Telnet BBS accessability via serial port?

JDT
February 7th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Anyone suggest a method of connecting my Kaypro or IBM 5150 via serial null modem to my internet enabled PC for the purpose of accessing telnet BBS's via the vintage machine? Perhaps a way to "forward" the connection out the internet PCs serial port? I have a program (for windows 3x to share an internet connection via parrallel port, but neither vintage machine runs windows.. or a tcp stack...

Is there a tcp option ? I know I have some 3c509s around... I suppose I could put one in the 5150... just havent found a tcp stack that will run on it, tried to get one from the NT install disks but it said it required a 286 or better...

Ideas? =)

MikeS
February 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM
tcpser? tcpserj?

Bloomquist's BBS Server? (Not just for BBS)

Linux or Windows

Mike Chambers
February 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Anyone suggest a method of connecting my Kaypro or IBM 5150 via serial null modem to my internet enabled PC for the purpose of accessing telnet BBS's via the vintage machine? Perhaps a way to "forward" the connection out the internet PCs serial port? I have a program (for windows 3x to share an internet connection via parrallel port, but neither vintage machine runs windows.. or a tcp stack...

Is there a tcp option ? I know I have some 3c509s around... I suppose I could put one in the 5150... just havent found a tcp stack that will run on it, tried to get one from the NT install disks but it said it required a 286 or better...

Ideas? =)

the 3c509 won't work in your 5150, since it requires a 16-bit ISA bus. you'll need an 8-bit compatible card to do ethernet on it. something like a NE1000/NE2000 compatible, a 3c503, intel etherexpress 8/16, etc... they're pretty cheap on ebay.

as far as going over the serial port, that's do-able if you have a null-modem cable. a few years ago i wrote a little utility in VB6 to establish a TCP connection and forward the data back and forth through the serial port to a DOS machine. i was running Procomm Plus on the DOS machine, but any ANSI-capable terminal program should do fine.

i don't have the program i wrote anymore, and i don't know of any pre-existing ones although i'm sure they exist. if you can't find one, and really need something to get this working i could whip up a little windows utility to do that for you.

i highly recommend getting an 8-bit ethernet card though. not only for telnet BBS usage, but there are all kinds of neat things you can do with it including file sharing with windows machines, and even web browsing. most DOS internet apps have their own TCP stack built-in. it's usually wattcp. some other programs use the TCPDRV/NTCPDRV TSR stack written by Peter Tattam.

do a google search for dos internet software and you'll find a wealth of information and programs to play with.

EDIT: if you don't want to actually install an ethernet card, another solution is to purchase a xircom parallel port to ethernet adapter (the PE3 family)... this should allow you to use the kaypro for ethernet as well. these adapters can usually be found for under $20 on ebay. iirc, i paid less than $15 for mine. one of the best purchases i've ever made. i use it daily!

here's one. this is extremely cheap! http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Xircom-Parallel-Port-Ethernet-Card-10BaseT_W0QQitemZ200304093732QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

it doesn't come with the power adapter though. it just needs a standard 12 VDC supply, and these can use up to about 1 amp.

JDT
February 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I actually have a PE3, found it in the trash a long long time ago. I tried to use it with my 5150 a few years ago with... whatever that dos based browser is. I couldnt get a TCP stack to run. I know the PE3 works, used it on an older P1 - 133mhz laptop. I may have to check in to it again.

JDT
February 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM
tcpser? tcpserj?

Bloomquist's BBS Server? (Not just for BBS)

Linux or Windows

Looking for tcpser

Windows

MikeS
February 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Looking for tcpser

Windows
--------------------
The only one I've used personally is BBS Server, written by a local fellow TPUG member:

http://home.ica.net/~leifb/bbs/

At a fast glance it looks like a C64 BBS system/server, but in fact it's a general purpose RS-232<>TCP/IP bridge with extras. I've used it to Telnet from an RS-232 terminal to a Cromemco S-100 system over the Internet through an old Win98 laptop at each end; works great, just ignore the options that you don't want.
Basically these programs look just like a modem to the RS-232 devices, but instead of dialing a number you "dial" a Telnet address.

tcpser is a Linux RS-232<>TCP/IP bridge, and tcpserj, tcpser4j etc. are multi-platform Java versions; Google is your friend.

JDT
February 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
That C64 BBS app worked like a charm... "enable outbound calls" looks so inconspicuous! it was awsome getting the old beast on a bbs again!

now if i can figure out a way to get to IRC through a similar method and I'll be one happy geek.

AndyR71
February 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Anyone suggest a method of connecting my Kaypro or IBM 5150 via serial null modem to my internet enabled PC for the purpose of accessing telnet BBS's via the vintage machine?

Drop any unix (Linux, BSD, whatever) on the PC, run a getty on the serial port, then log in from the old box and run the telnet command line client. If you're going to be running a vintage box, IMHO you ought to be using vintage tools.

MattCarp
March 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
I haven't tried this myself, but Lantronix makes a serial to ethernet adapter that would probably handle this. Search eBay for the Lantronix MSS-100. Lantronix also has documentation on their web site.

If this does what I think it does, it would be the perfect solution to put your old 8-bit or 16-bit BBS on the internet!

-Matt

MikeS
March 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
There are various RS-232<>TCP/IP adapters out there, but don't forget that many BBS programs expect to see Hayes-type codes from the modem, so unless you can modify the code make sure that it emulates the Hayes modem (as the bridge programs do) and is flexible enough to gracefully handle the BBS being busy or off-line etc, hang up on time-out etc.

The client end usually doesn't need anything fancy, but if you've got an old laptop or PC it wouldn't cost anything vs. the $60+ that the adapters I've seen cost.

A couple of other threads are dealing with this as well right now.

Dr_Acula
March 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hi MattCarp, yes someone else mentioned the Lantronics products just today on another site. I'm looking at the documentation now. It could well be a good solution. Prices seem to vary but I've seen as low as $28. Addit on ebay found one for $20.

MikeS
March 22nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
$20.00?! Looks like they're getting cheaper; yes, the Lantronix has been discussed elsewhere and the older UDS-10 is in fact mentioned in the BBS Bridge software docs.

Dr_Acula
March 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Yes found another for $20. Both secondhand but that wouldn't matter. Search for either MSS100 or MSS-100.

Chuck(G)
March 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
There's also a UDS-1100 up for bid. currently $29.