PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Epson QX-16 Complete Collection!

blhartness
February 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I have a complete Epson QX-16 collection that I acquired from a dear friend. This collection is amazing. It honestly has everything--and I do mean everything--that came with the original set. Every book, manual, piece of software, down to the original receipt and advertisements for the package deal. I've been looking through it all and it is so neat. I had never seen one. This collection even has the original boxes that the Epson products were shipped in! The 12 Inch green monitor, the QX-16 keyboard, the QX-16 computer, the dot matrix printer that came with the package deal. This collection has the original Hayes modem, the original mouse, the Epson documentation, user guides, Floppy disk sets,--you name it. I think that this is truly a 1 of a kind collection due to its completeness. Everything is in excellent condition. Wow................I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. This collection looks like something that you'd see in a museum.

justjunk
February 8th, 2009, 12:48 AM
>Wow................I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Awesome sums it up nicely. Great to have friends like that. Are you going to post pix?

blhartness
February 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Yes, I will be working on some good pictures over the next day or so. Can't wait to get them posted. :)

tipc
February 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
shouldn't this be in the IBM section? I don't own a 16, but a 10 w/the Titan board that provides a very high degree of IBM compatibility. The flyer states that games like Flight Simulator will run awful slow, but virtually everything else will do fine.
Congratulations besides :)

blhartness
February 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
you may be right about the category. I wasn't exactly sure where to put this.

Chuck(G)
February 8th, 2009, 12:20 PM
While the QX16 used an 8088 and could run MS-DOS 2.10, it isn't a PC-compatible. I suspect that most users ran Valdocs on it more than CP/M or MS-DOS applications.

So "Other" fits pretty well as a category.

tipc
February 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
ok my mistake. My QX-10 is purported to be *pretty compatible*.

So therefore nothing (virtually) that's not specific to the Epson will run?

Chuck(G)
February 8th, 2009, 04:59 PM
The QX-10 is Z80-only; the 16 has an 8088 in it in addition to the Z80.

You can get CP/M for the QX-10 (and the -16). Valdocs actually runs under a clone called TP/M (has some added functionality; unfortunately it conflicts with some later additions to CP/M).

So, yes, you can run CP/M applications on the 10 and 16 and some generic MSDOS applications on the 16.

patscc
February 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Chuck(G) said...The QX-10 is Z80-only
They made an expansion card for it that had a 8088 onboard & let you run DOS. This was right before they came out with the QX-16. If you want more specs on it, I'll dig mine out.
patscc

blhartness
February 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Do I upload pics as tags?? I'm just learning how to use this site. :)

I apologize if I asked this question in the wrong place! I've got some super pics that I'd like to share.

blhartness
February 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Alright...........I finally got these together! Let me know what you think.

I do have several other great pics. Let me know if you'd like to see them!

Thanks!
:mrgreen:

chuckcmagee
February 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Gah!! Tooooo white! Put that baby out in the sunshine for 18 months please :rolleyes:

vwestlife
February 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
The QX-10 is Z80-only; the 16 has an 8088 in it in addition to the Z80.

You can get CP/M for the QX-10 (and the -16). Valdocs actually runs under a clone called TP/M (has some added functionality; unfortunately it conflicts with some later additions to CP/M).

So, yes, you can run CP/M applications on the 10 and 16 and some generic MSDOS applications on the 16.
According to the following review, the QX-10 used extremely unusual floppy drives with voice coil head acutators, instead of the typical stepper motor arrangement. It seems like Epson poured a ton of money into innovative engineering of this computer and its "Valdocs" software, only to have it run off the road by cheaper, faster generic PC clones. Oh well; at least their printers sold well!

http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v10n6/14_Epson_QX10_the_friendli.php

Druid6900
February 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I do have several other great pics. Let me know if you'd like to see them!

Ummm......are they of the computer? :)

Chuck(G)
February 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
According to the following review, the QX-10 used extremely unusual floppy drives with voice coil head acutators, instead of the typical stepper motor arrangement. It seems like Epson poured a ton of money into innovative engineering of this computer and its "Valdocs" software, only to have it run off the road by cheaper, faster generic PC clones. Oh well; at least their printers sold well!

http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v10n6/14_Epson_QX10_the_friendli.php

I recall an article in one of the popular trade magazines (Byte?) about the time the QX-10 was released about the amount of work that went into the software. ISTR that a San Francisco outfit, something like "Friends-Amis" did the software, with a large portion of it done in FORTH.

For most people, WordStar on a CP/M machine did just about as much and offered files that were more widely understood.

There used to be an outfit that dealt with the Epson QX-10/16 line long after it had been discontinued, Star Technology Corp. in Carbondale, Colo. I don't think they're around anymore.

barythrin
February 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Wow. Very nice system. :-) Looks great, love the boxed mouse.

Terry Yager
February 17th, 2009, 02:56 PM
There used to be an outfit that dealt with the Epson QX-10/16 line long after it had been discontinued, Star Technology Corp. in Carbondale, Colo. I don't think they're around anymore.

Would that be the same Star Tech that has the brand-new PX-8s for sale? They're still around:

http://www.notebooksupplies.com/epson/px8.html

--T

chuckcmagee
February 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Hey, posting any reference to Star Tech is illegal! That blankety-blank PX-8 is what started me down the vintage computer path. "Oh, wouldn't it be nice to get a Tandy 100 too. How about a Nec PC-8201A? How about a HP-85? Northstar Horizon? LSI ADM-3A? Groan...."

Terry Yager
February 17th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Hey, posting any reference to Star Tech is illegal! That blankety-blank PX-8 is what started me down the vintage computer path. "Oh, wouldn't it be nice to get a Tandy 100 too. How about a Nec PC-8201A? How about a HP-85? Northstar Horizon? LSI ADM-3A? Groan...."

It would only be unethical if I owned a piece of the company (don't I wish?)...

--T

blhartness
February 18th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Wow. Very nice system. :-) Looks great, love the boxed mouse.

Thanks! I love the mouse too. I don't think it was ever used. I've attached 2 more interesting pics of some documentation. The original owner kept Everything!

Thanks!
blhartness

barythrin
February 18th, 2009, 08:08 AM
lol awesome. That's one of the best things to keep with the system. I love seeing ads for the product when it's new and the original price tag. Great items to keep with a collection. I couldn't read it from the pic what's it saying for the system price?

blhartness
February 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
The list price was $2,995.00 Looks like the total bill with the extras added on was $3300.00! The Epson FX-80 dot matrix printer was free with this deal. (I have that also) Glad you liked it--I thought it was neat seeing the original ad and sales receipt.

vwestlife
February 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM
The list price was $2,995.00 Looks like the total bill with the extras added on was $3300.00! The Epson FX-80 dot matrix printer was free with this deal. (I have that also) Glad you liked it--I thought it was neat seeing the original ad and sales receipt.
I had an Epson FX-80 printer for many years. Although extremely durable, its print quality is rather poor, even in comparison to other 9-pin dot matrix printers.

However, it's not the worst-quality printer I've used; that distinction would go to the Hewlett Packard ThinkJet -- HP's very first inkjet printer. Libraries loved ThinkJets because they were extremely quiet, but the printouts were barely intelligible. The dots looked randomly placed in a pattern that vaguely approximated letter and number shapes!

Chuck(G)
February 18th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I had an Epson FX-80 printer for many years. Although extremely durable, its print quality is rather poor, even in comparison to other 9-pin dot matrix printers.

A tidbit. Although the Americans developed the solenoid-and-wire dot-matrix technology, it was the Japanese that refined it. Some of the early 80's single-pass 24(?) pin printers developed for the Japanese market (Kanji requires much finner resolution to print than does Romaji) were incredible.

Okidata sampled one to us about 1981-82, but wouldn't even give us a quotation on it.

Multipass 9-pin (a la Sanders) could come pretty close.

Lohmeyer
February 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Very nice system.

Where are all the good links to software and manuals for the QX-16? There's some out there, but it seems to be incomplete, or heavily QX-10 based. Some QX-10 stuff works on the QX-16, but what I'm hoping to find is the actual original stuff that was meant for the QX-16. The QX-16 seems largely ignored by the QX-10 lovers.

ZX81AMIGA
September 8th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Hello @blhardness,

I rescue last week an complete EPSON QX16 motherboard and a EPSON Q 612A GREEN MONITOR from electronic scrape!
I want to make it work, but I din't have a Monitor-cable.
The board has an 8 pin female DIN-jack and the monitor has an 7 pin female DIN-jack. The signal is TTL-MONO.
The pins of the monitor I now. But I have no information about the pins of the video-jack of the board?
Can everywone give me the correct information about that?

Regards ZX81AMIGA