PDA

View Full Version : Bootstrapping Headache

jimmieloveshissunfire
February 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm temporarily using an audio connection for my apple iie, and can't seem to get it to work right. At first I thought the version of ADT pro might be different from the disk I got, so I downloaded it to the apple and it works fine, until I go to recieve, then it says garbage recieved. What can I do to fix this?

david__schmidt
February 8th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I'm temporarily using an audio connection for my apple iie, and can't seem to get it to work right. At first I thought the version of ADT pro might be different from the disk I got, so I downloaded it to the apple and it works fine, until I go to recieve, then it says garbage recieved. What can I do to fix this?
Audio is tough to get right. Go through your soundcard audio settings on the (I assume you're using a PC?) and look for a "Mic boost" setting. It is usually under "advanced settings" or something similar. The basic line-in level is often too quiet for ADTPro to hear.

Mike Chambers
February 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
yeah, it took me a good 4 hours before i finally got everything working properly with ADTpro on my ][e. it can be a painful trial-and-error process, but don't give up. david is right, make sure you have mic boost enabled.

jimmieloveshissunfire
February 8th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Okay, I'll try that. I've gotten throught most of it, just can't recieve the file to put it on a floppy.

linemanduke
February 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
yeah its hard i finally decided it was esasier to drive 100 miles and pay 30 dollars for anoter 2e with an ssc.

jimmieloveshissunfire
February 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
None of that worked, I think my tape in and out might just be loose, because sometimes I don't even get that far. I'll just buy a serial cord next payday and try to fix the cassette interface just because it will bug me.

Micom 2000
February 10th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I take it ssc=super serial card ? Is that a going price for them today and it's cheaper just to buy the whole machine or are they so scarce the card costs more ?

Lawrence

yeah its hard i finally decided it was esasier to drive 100 miles and pay 30 dollars for anoter 2e with an ssc.

david__schmidt
February 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I take it ssc=super serial card ? Is that a going price for them today and it's cheaper just to buy the whole machine or are they so scarce the card costs more ?

One source I've found:
http://www.digitaldinos.com/DigitalDinos/Pages/ForSale/AppleII/docAppleII.htm
Super Serial Cards, US$7.00

linemanduke
February 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM
oh i cant ebay no credit cards so was easier just to buy one on craigslist. also it came witha printer and a ton of games. even a movie that plays on the apple.

jimmieloveshissunfire
February 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I got it working through the cassette ports, it was the Dell, not the Apple. I just had to close and reopen the ADT program on my pc for it to work.

Char27
March 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
yeah, it took me a good 4 hours before i finally got everything working properly with ADTpro on my ][e. it can be a painful trial-and-error process, but don't give up. david is right, make sure you have mic boost enabled.

Yeah, I think it was about that for me too. I worked for awhile one evening and then went back to it on the weekend and finally found the right volume and mic setting. I even had it working partially as it would start and then just stop or error out for awhile until I finally got an image over.

It does work but is a pain to get going sometimes.

A nice addition would be to stream something (data or clicks) while showing a status screen that shows if its reading or writing anything so you can play with the volume interactively.