PDA

View Full Version : Clear plastic packaging with sealed edges

Lorne
February 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Does anyone else hate that clear plastic packaging with sealed edges that you can't rip open, and that scissors don't even work on?

Like this:

I hated it before, but now I despise it.

Last night I picked up a blacklight to do some more de-yellowing of computer cases, and the light came in one of those types of packages.

Now, sometimes I feel like a moron, and sometimes I act like a moron. This was one of those occasions when both occurred simultaneously.

This however shouldn't relieve the manufacturer of any responsibility for a poor packaging job. They don't, but they should provide instructions on how to open these packages for us morons out there.

As they have not provided these instructions, I will.
This is the way you don't want to hold the package to try to cut it open:

You want to hold the package at the bottom and move the box cutter toward the top end of the package, and away from you. If you are cutting across the top of the package, you want to hold on the left, and move the cutter to the right side.

If you don't do it in that way, and the blade slips off the plastic, you will end up with approximately eight stiches (depending on how quickly your brain kicks in once it's figured out that the blade has left the package and is now in your flesh, and that you had better stop pressing on it before you hit you wrist), and your hand will look like this:

I do not need any thanks for these package opening instructions - your following of the directions, will be thanks enough.

PS: no golf for me for at least two weeks !

patscc
February 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Ow. I use tin snips, basically heavy-duty scissors. I can't stand sealed plastic packaging either. You should try insisting in a store that they open the package so you can see if it works before you buy it. You get all kinds of interesting reactions.
patscc

Druid6900
February 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Got any hydrogen peroxide to put on that, Lorne? LMAO

docred
February 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Ouch....I usually use scissors/tinsnips or something like that to open those stupid packages. I still manage to cut myself on the sharp plastic sometimes, but thats a bad one....oiy

Chuck(G)
February 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Just to pour salt on the wound, I note that you're using an adjustable utility knife. Any reason that the blade is full out for this job? A quarter inch or so of blade exposed would cause a lot less damage.

In similar cases, I find that keeping current on tetanus boosters and having a ready supply of Super Glue in gel form helps a lot.

pontus
February 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM
ouch! No nerve damage I hope. I've cut myself badly in the fingers twice, both time it healed nicely on the outside, but I've lost some of the feeling in the fingertips on two fingers.

tezza
February 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Ouch!

I also hate that kind of packaging.

Tez

Terry Yager
February 10th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Y'know, there's actually a special tool designed just for that purpose. I don't personally own one, but they prolly sell 'em at Harbor Freight or similar. Me, I'm a good (former) Boy Scout, and remember the first lesson of using a knife...always cut away from yourself (although I still manage to injure myself occasionally). Hell, I've whiled away many an hour with friends as crazy as myself, playing 'Chicken' or 'Mumbley-pegs', with axes, machetes, bayonets, whatever (and I gots the scars to prove it). Only wussies play with tiny lil' pocket knives. (I'm prob'ly lucky I still have ten toes).

--T

Merlin
February 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I guess you were never in the Scouts were you, Lorne? :lol: That first photo really telegraphed what was about to happen...

Mind you, that's not as bad as some carpet knife injuries I've seen from carpet fitters; imagine the knife slipping and hitting you in the crotch.... :bigeyes:

Apparently it's quite a common injury with carpet fitters..

@ Tezza

I'm surprised you didn't say "Call that a knife? This is a knife......"

:lol:

tezza
February 11th, 2009, 01:47 AM
@ Tezza

I'm surprised you didn't say "Call that a knife? This is a knife......"

:lol:

hehehe. Naa...no dinkie-die aussie croc-wrestling stereotypes in New Zealand.

chuckcmagee
February 11th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Anyway, yes, purchase some kind of heavy duty scissors or the tin snips sound great also. I have 2 pairs of scissors with super big grips on them. For us aging baby boomer types with arthritis. I have also found that it is possible to tear the plastic, once you make a fairly large cut with those scissors.

Yours is clearly worse than my recent one. I found the a/c cord to a Tandy CoCo external diskette drive in 2 pieces in the box. Yes friends, I had managed to slice the cord while opening the box. Fortunately, I just wanted the drive so I could put it into another enclosure. Those Tandy drives have room for 2 drives but are almost always sold as a single drive with one space filler.

chuckcmagee
February 11th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Now that we have Dru and Lorne together in one place, what is the status on those Tandy mod IV diskette drives? I would think Dru has got them by now.

per
February 11th, 2009, 02:18 AM
When I was smaller (many-many years ago), the way I opened packages like that was by usually biting them open. But that's a looong time ago.

Now I bend the part where the paper labbel are (from one side to the other) quite a lot of times, then I just rip it open on the weak point from all the bending (note that the plastic should have started to turn white where you bend before you try to rip it open). Works best with bigger packages.

Lorne
February 11th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Now that we have Dru and Lorne together in one place, what is the status on those Tandy mod IV diskette drives? I would think Dru has got them by now.

Druid has them, but I think I ticked him off when he emailed me that got them and that it was -26 C there, and I replied that it was + 26 C here.

I'm sure he'll post what was wrong with them, once the drives thaw out.

Lorne
February 11th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Just to pour salt on the wound, I note that you're using an adjustable utility knife. Any reason that the blade is full out for this job? A quarter inch or so of blade exposed would cause a lot less damage.

Thanks Chuck.
I've got great hindsight too !

Merlin
February 11th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Thanks Chuck. I've got great hindsight too !

^^^^^^ Smart Boy Wanted....^^^^^^

:mrgreen:

Chuck(G)
February 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
A pair of tin snips or sheet metal aircraft shears works fine for cutting that kind of stuff. A pair of "kitchen scissors" would probably work also.

Nothing like a well-supplied toolkit.

Thanks Chuck.
I've got great hindsight too !

Here's another: Never try to talk to your wife and chop vegetables at the same time.

Or: All freshly-cut sheet metal is very, very sharp.

Or: Never try to separate two fighting dogs with your bare hands.

Been there, have the scars to prove it.

patscc
February 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Don't let the flat-bladed screwdriver slip when tightening a screw on an outlet that you're holding in your hand.
patscc

TandyMan100
February 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM
blowtorch?

Druid6900
February 11th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Yeah, he got them. He's also got a killer sinus infection and sitting up here for an hour, once a day, is all he can handle, at the moment.

linemanduke
February 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Don't let the flat-bladed screwdriver slip when tightening a screw on an outlet that you're holding in your hand.
patscc

i cant tell you how many times i've done that.

another good piece of advice. when you get furniture and it comes with the shipping braces on the bottom make sure you remove all traces of them before moving the furniture. you will either rip the carpet or rip open your thumb with a nail like i did moving a chest of drawers. only 4 stitches but got some nerve damage and i have to deal with looking at this thing everyday.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t122/duked_2007/DSC03656.jpg

aparently that lump is where all my nerve endings went so if i even touch it the wrong way its like reliving the whole thing :(

Lorne
February 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah, he got them. He's also got a killer sinus infection and sitting up here for an hour, once a day, is all he can handle, at the moment.

I'd trade you my left hand for your sinus infection, anyday !
Try sniffing some H2O2 - maybe that'll help the sinuses. (now LMAO)

Terry Yager
February 11th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I got a leetle to close to a chainsaw once...but I'm not gonna show y'all that scar (it's a doozie!).

--T

Druid6900
February 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I'd trade you my left hand for your sinus infection, anyday !
Try sniffing some H2O2 - maybe that'll help the sinuses. (now LMAO)

I doubt you'd be saying that if you had to take 6 aspirins every 6 hours to get 4 hours of sleep while you're waiting for the anti-biotics to make things worse before making them better.....

Yeah, maybe I'll try that H202 theory (on someone I don't like).

So, do you use it straight on that little scratch or use one of the Gel Recipies? :)

P.S. I hope you know I'm just kidding and I hope your hand heals quickly and hurts less soon.

Lorne
February 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
@ Druid6900:

I know you're just kidding.

Now, while I want to get my disk drives repaired and back here asap, I hope you're not working on them while you're all drugged-up !

So, never mind the sinus stuff, just quit with the drugs and get the drives fixed - you can get back on the drugs later :)

I can honestly say this hand slicing thing was nowhere near worth it all, but I will say that I never thought there would be this many replies to the thread, and a bunch of the posts have given me a good laugh.

Thanks guys.

PS: You should have seen me using a simple pair of scissors to open a box, and cut some bubble wrap off an IBM PC today. You've never seen anyone so tentative with a pair of scissors, and it certainly wasn't because I was concerned about the IBM ! I even laughed at myself afterward.

tezza
February 13th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Gawd, accidents and vintage computers.

I remember pulling a keyboard connector of an apple II off the motherboard once. I was just using my fingers and it just wouldn't budge. Then the damm thing suddenly lept out of its socket and embedded all pins on the IC-type connector into my thumb. Hurt like hell and bled a bit.

Now I use those IC removers.

Tez

TandyMan100
February 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Gawd, accidents and vintage computers.

I remember pulling a keyboard connector of an apple II off the motherboard once. I was just using my fingers and it just wouldn't budge. The the damm think suddenly lept out of its socket and embedded all pins on the IC-type connector into my thumb. Hurt like hell and bled a bit.

Now I use those IC removers.

Tez
That reminds me of when I was removing a keyboard from something, not quite sure what, but it wouldn't move, and then something snapped and it slammed into my face. I had a keyboard-shaped imprint on my face for several hours, and broke a ribbon wire (oops ) :o

Druid6900
February 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
@ Druid6900:

I know you're just kidding.

Now, while I want to get my disk drives repaired and back here asap, I hope you're not working on them while you're all drugged-up !

WOW, man, if you take all the components off the logic boards and all the mech off the chassis, put them all in a box and shake them around, you get REALLY cool colours......FarOUT!!!

JDT
February 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I also despise that packaging... but what I loathe EVEN MORE... is how they wire tie childrens toys (usually in sealed plastic!) they are rediculous... they have a dozen wire ties holding in something that we bought for $5 at a toy store. I got 3 kids, they are young, they get a lot of toys at the normal gift giving occasions... I HATE THE TIES MAN IT DRIVES ME NUTS!

cosam
February 13th, 2009, 03:10 PM
That reminds me of when I was removing a keyboard from something, not quite sure what, but it wouldn't move, and then something snapped and it slammed into my face. I had a keyboard-shaped imprint on my face for several hours, and broke a ribbon wire (oops ) :o
That's awful! Ribbon cables can be really time consuming to replace.

I think the worst I've had was running over my big toe with a TE16 (http://www.pdp-11.nl/peripherals/tape/te16-images/te16doc.jpg) tape drive...

Lorne
February 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I also despise that packaging... but what I loathe EVEN MORE... is how they wire tie childrens toys (usually in sealed plastic!) they are rediculous... they have a dozen wire ties holding in something that we bought for $5 at a toy store. I got 3 kids, they are young, they get a lot of toys at the normal gift giving occasions... I HATE THE TIES MAN IT DRIVES ME NUTS!

I'm with you man ! - I've got a five year old grand-daughter who gets lots of toys (dolls with crap like little 1" long hairbrushes that are tied down with that wire). They don't need to use plastic coated 10 ga wire! A simple garbage bag twist tie would do, if they really needed it. How about sewing thread? It's easy to cut (and I'm in a bit of an "easy to cut" mood right now). How about rubber cement? (no cutting involved - I like that !)
You know what? Whether they used thread or rubber cement instead, they'd probably still put the whole damn thing in thick thick plastic with sealed edges ! (I wonder if that plastic yellows? Is it flame proof? If not, we should get it banned - that'd fix 'em !)

It's all done so the package looks good with everything in it's place, and the kid sees it and says ohhhhh, I want that.
When I was five, I still said ohhhhh, I want that, but there were no wires attaching the junk to the cardboard. What gives?

Dwight Elvey
February 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Hi
Never hold the work piece in one hand while using a
Demel motor tool with a metal saw blade.
When things go wrong, there is a bang sound and
it takes a few moments to find out what was
sliced up.
It started on the pad of my index finger, zipped
across ( the through ) my nail, past the first knukle
and finally released at the second knukle.
This all happen during that microsecond bang.
Dwight

Lorne
February 13th, 2009, 08:37 PM
OK, with all these never do's, I've gotta make my self look like even more of a moron.

Never try to get bits of anything, no matter how small, off a new (or old) serrated kitchen knife, by running your thumb and index finger down the length of the blade, even if you think you are moving your fingers away from the sharp edge of the knife. The serrations will get you every time.

TandyMan100
February 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
That's awful! Ribbon cables can be really time consuming to replace.

I think the worst I've had was running over my big toe with a TE16 (http://www.pdp-11.nl/peripherals/tape/te16-images/te16doc.jpg) tape drive...
Were you working at IBM when they had that Robin Hood virus? It would make the tape drives cycle back and forth so violently that they would walk across the floor.

cosam
February 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Were you working at IBM when they had that Robin Hood virus? It would make the tape drives cycle back and forth so violently that they would walk across the floor.
I thought is was the disk drives that started walking around. Hackers of the era allegedly competed with each other to code the optimum seek patterns and held disk drive races :-) Almost had a "walker" myself not too long ago, exercising an RL02 in a rack without the feet wound down...

Hmm... did we manage to go off topic in the off-topic section?