PDA

View Full Version : What's this card?

frozenfire75i
February 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I can't find anything about this card, the ports on the back marked To Video-In and To Video out (RCA) and a spot for a remote

What is it?

http://www.ibm5150pc.com/card.jpg

gerrydoire
February 17th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I can't find anything about this card, the ports on the back marked To Video-In and To Video out (RCA) and a spot for a remote

What is it?

http://www.ibm5150pc.com/card.jpg

Some sort of Video Capture Card perhaps?

dpatten
February 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM
According to the FCC lookup E5Z5K3AM-614 was made by an Alpha Microsystems, 3501 Sunflower Santa Ana, CA 92704. The FCC granted their request on 10/26/1987. Unfortunately there is no documentation accompanying this on the FCC website.

I'm not sure it's the same company, but here's a link to documentation of alpha microsystems products link (http://www.alphamicroproducts.com/amphtm/docs.htm#idxtag011)

Chuck(G)
February 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Dunno, but I bet Cameron Kaiser (ckaiser@floodgap.com) at Floodgap might have an idea... Alpha Micro made a bewildering number of products over the years.

kb2syd
February 17th, 2009, 10:08 AM
And the logo looks similar to that on the board. Alpha Micro has been a long time vendor of multiuser computer systems. It is probably one of their backup cards or such.

Is there a number above the Alpha Micro silk screen on the top left by the bracket? Are there other connectors besides the two RCA plugs? It looks like that big silver can in the top left has an opening in the bracket too.

frozenfire75i
February 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
DWB-00614-00 is the number that can't be seen in the shot,

The big sliver box is for a remote so it says 20 pins.

And the logo looks similar to that on the board. Alpha Micro has been a long time vendor of multiuser computer systems. It is probably one of their backup cards or such.

Is there a number above the Alpha Micro silk screen on the top left by the bracket? Are there other connectors besides the two RCA plugs? It looks like that big silver can in the top left has an opening in the bracket too.

NobodyIsHere
February 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hi! I am going out on a limb here and guessing its one of those "backup to VCR" peripherals that were briefly popular in the 1980's. It certainly does not appear to be a video card and the chips suggest to me a high speed data encoder/decoder. Of course, that's a guess.

I hope this helps. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM
That's a good guess, there's a high-speed video switch on there (TDA 5850) and a couple of high-speed comparators (LT1016).
I can't really make out any other chips, other then TTL glue logic and such, and the big custom Motorola Monstrosity.
Does the shiny thing have a part number on it anywhere ?
On the TDA 5850, pin's 8 & 4 are inputs to the switch, pin 3 is the switch, and pin 2 is the output.
patscc

Terry Yager
February 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
That is a good guess. I was going to suggest a VCR video record/capture card myself, but then, it'd prob'ly have audio in/outputs too. It might be a good idea to pop it into sum'n and dump the ROM, could be a klew there.

--T

Chuck(G)
February 17th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Google "Alpha Micro Videotrax" and read all about it.

I used a competing VHS backup system in the 80's. S L O W . . .

Terry Yager
February 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Was it the 'OmniNet' thinggy? I used to have a metric sh!tload of that stuff, but never got to use any of it because I didn't have any of the cables.

--T

frozenfire75i
February 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
So that's what it is, Thanks for help,

Now we know what it is, anyone want it?

linemanduke
February 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM
looks over to the betamax.

raises hand.
lol

Terry Yager
February 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Anyone got the software for it?

--T

Chuck(G)
February 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
So that's what it is, Thanks for help,

Now we know what it is, anyone want it?

I'll take it--I can always use another oddball media adapter.

Terry Yager
February 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I'll take it--I can always use another oddball media adapter.

I think lmd wins...he has the appropriate hardware to go with it!

--T

linemanduke
February 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
yeah, i need software though lol

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM
You can probably get software anyplace that carries home betamax tapes.
patscc

frozenfire75i
February 17th, 2009, 03:00 PM
You mean right next to the Reel to Reel stuff ? :p

patscc

Chuck(G)
February 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I think lmd wins...he has the appropriate hardware to go with it!

Drop a line to Sellam Ismali over at VintageTech--ISTR that he was fooling with one of these quite a while ago. Maybe he still has the software.

linemanduke
February 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
patscc

lol we have a store here that still does. laser discs too.

SteveH
November 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM
... guessing its one of those "backup to VCR" peripherals...

Bit of an old thread this one, but it's the closest match I could find that has some relevance to an "Autofax Corp Imager" 8 bit ISA card I recently picked up. It's a Z80 based "backup to VCR card".

7107 7108

The eprom is currently damaged (missing a couple of pins!), but I've soldered in place some wire and read its contents. I'll have a go at blowing a replacement. Interestingly, a dump of the eprom show the text "'MaBr[2.4] (C) 1983-Corvus Systems". I've partly disassembled the code.

Ideally, I'd like to get this thing working and see how well it backs up and restores files (not that I'd use it in vain!). So, does anyone have or know where I could get a copy of the software that accompanies it? Most of the references on the web for this are just adverts http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0DsEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq="autofax+corp"&source=bl&ots=IWX9cbT6KR&sig=5q4Ktq7jcOc3XRYwL6c4trHZlPU&hl=en&ei=hMbCTriFHMSv8QPwvOnnCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edit: If the above link doesn't bring up the advert, click on the search button next to "autofax corp" and then click the link for "InfoWorld - Aug 24-31, 1987"