PDA

View Full Version : So I bricked a bios

luckybob
February 17th, 2009, 03:16 PM
about a year ago, I was at my local computer recycling place, helping dismantle computers (they give you HUGE discounts if you help disassemble computers. i'm talking 75-95% off normal prices) And I opened a rackmount case t find a dual asus pentium pro motherboard. (p/i-p65up5)

long story short I got 2 1m processors and some 32mb edo simms cheap on ebay and when I put them in the board it diddnt like the 1mb cache chips. Well lets upgrade the bios I said! and after the flashing process I found that I had selected the wrong bios from asus and completely bricked it.

the board still posts.... kinda. the video card will display its bios post then it will sit there like a rock. What I want to know is, given the caliber of people here SOMEONE has to have access to a eprom flasher. Its a real common chip:

intel FLASH
p28f001
bxt150
u7j028j2

If there was some way I can send you my chip and you can flash it with the correct bios I supply then that would make me ever so happy. I'd be willing to pay for all shipping costs + whatever you thought was fair.

pictures of the board(s):
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5472/p65up51wj3.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p65up51wj3.jpg)http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3973/p65up52dy7.th.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p65up52dy7.jpg)
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6112/p65up53wm9.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p65up53wm9.jpg)http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/507/p65up54oe5.th.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p65up54oe5.jpg)

So basically its been sitting on my shelf for about a year. In my attemopts to find a replacement board I found out about the p/i-p65up8 which is the same board but on steroids as it has scsi onboard and is a full AT size motherboard. But I can't even find a PICTURE of that board, let alone someone who wants to sell me one...

JDT
February 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM
dang man.,.. been dieing to get a dual ppro board (and another matched 200mhz 1mb chip) .... yea... got a nice set of 12mb voodoo 2s to throw in it.

Anyway this will probably get moved to the off topic area by mbrtuman as it isnt "vintage" enough. for this section.

Chuck(G)
February 17th, 2009, 03:59 PM
PM me if you can't find anyone close to do it. This is the 32-pin PLCC, right?

NeXT
February 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Damn. That is a really nice board. AND It's AT! It puts my zombie AST server board to shame.

barythrin
February 17th, 2009, 04:02 PM
This is a shot in the dark (it's a setting on newer computers) but have you looked for a reset jumper or anything on the motherboard? A lot of newer systems (again, PPRO probably doesn't but who knows) have that for that exact scenario and to reset the bios back to a default image/settings.

I'm sure a few folks here might have a rom burner also. Do you happen to have the copy of the previous bios image?

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I can flash 28F001BX's if any one needs it done. I'm in central Wisconsin, so I don't know who's closer.
I don't have any handy, so I'd actually need the chip in hand.
Don't know who's closest.
patscc

evildragon
February 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The general rule of thumb is, ALWAYS quadruple check your BIOS update...

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
barythrin said...but have you looked for a reset jumper or anything on the motherboard?

That's a real possibility and definitely worth looking in the manual for.
The 28F001BX is organized into 1 8kb lockable boot block, 2 4kb parameter blocks, and 1 112 kb main block.
It's tight, but you could hide some fail-safe code in there, I think.
patscc

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
My databook lists the 28F001BX as coming in a DIP & CLCC. Is the thing actually socketed ?
patscc

Chuck(G)
February 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
My databook lists the 28F001BX as coming in a DIP & CLCC. Is the thing actually socketed ?
patscc

I don't see any LCC sockets in the photo. I wonder if it's the DIP in the middle of the board along the rear? If the chip is soldered in, this could get to be ugly.

hargle
February 17th, 2009, 05:08 PM
That's a real possibility and definitely worth looking in the manual for.
The 28F001BX is organized into 1 8kb lockable boot block, 2 4kb parameter blocks, and 1 112 kb main block.
It's tight, but you could hide some fail-safe code in there, I think.
patscc

you're exactly right! that 8k chunk is where we did a bios recovery boot block back in the day, about 6 years ago for me. It was most certainly a tight fit-you'd only get beep codes and a blank screen and then it would try and access the floppy drive to self recover.

phoenix bios had a LPT port key that would force a boot block recovery, and there is usually a jumper as well. Not sure how other bios vendors did it.

the LPT key was simply a loopback with a couple specific pins tied together.
I might even be able to find mine tucked away in an old desk drawer somewhere at work.

You needed a special BIOS recovery diskette though, and that might be pretty difficult to locate.

I'm in minneapolis, and my eeprom burner is currently hooked up. if you can send me the chip and a bios to throw into it, I'd be happy to try and re burn it too.

luckybob
February 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
yes the chip is easily removeable. its circled in yellow in the picture, 32 pins. its right next to the usb header.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5156/p65up51biosht8.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p65up51biosht8.jpg)

This board is so cool, i have to get it running. I mean if I found the daughter board I could replace the dual p-pro's with pentium 2's. the p65up8 board does the same thing too but that board will take ATX power supplies to boot. Even dual socket 5's...

but back on topic, I did try to reset the bios via jumper, which was a no-go. But whats this I hear about a recovery mode? There is no mention of it in the manual; in fact the only real mentioning of the bios is that it must be changed when you install a different cpu card. Which is probably where I went wrong to be honest...

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Should have 16 pins on each side, right ?
patscc

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
What's the exact model of the board ?
Asus has several different ones listed under p65up5
patscc

hargle
February 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I'm going to guess it had award BIOS on it?

here's some hope, maybe:
http://www.biosman.com/biosrecovery.html

If you've got the ROM it should have, that tutorial looks pretty easy.
Otherwise, since it is easily removable, pull it and send it to me. I'm ~85% sure my burner can handle that part.

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I'm looking at page 8 of one of the manuals referring to a "Boot Block Programming" jumper. Did you change any jumpers when flashing ?
patscc

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 06:59 PM
There's still a couple of BIOS revisions on the Asus site, but someone might want to check if it's the correct one.

The burner software should let you select the part whether or not it's actually in there. At least I can on mine. That's how I checked if it was supported.
patscc

luckybob
February 17th, 2009, 07:05 PM
while flashing? no, I had to change the jumper to enable the board to flash.

this is what I have EXACTLY:

p/i-p65up5 with the c-p6nd daughter card. Nonne that I see seem to really fit and when i sent a email to asus they just linked me to a page that probably isnt the right one.

let me get this system into some sort of case and find a good spare floppy... i'm going to give this a shot...

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 07:15 PM
No, I meant before you flashed, but you answered it. The manual I have at least mentions the 28F001BXT.
Let me dig around in the datasheet. I glanced at it earlier, and there was some mention of the boot block, and I want to see if there's anything in there on how it gets activated.
patscc

NobodyIsHere
February 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Hi Chuck! I am guessing its the 32DIP socketed chip in the back. I sure hope ASUS wouldn't solder the BIOS into the motherboard. That's just wrong on so many levels! Especially for server grade equipment like that... its a sweet set up!

I can burn ROMs for you too but it looks like you already have several volunteers. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

luckybob
February 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I followed the steps hargle gave me and nothing. It looks like its completely bricked. My only guess for the correct bios is the p65up8 c-p6nd setup. as the daughter card is supposed to come with the bios for the mainboard.

i'm going to pull the chip and get some anti-static foam to put it in, it looks like its going to be maiking a trip! it would be so aweome tog et this going, I got 256mb of ram in this thing!

patscc
February 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Whoever you mail it to, you might want to consider sending the board along with it, as it might take a couple of tries to get it right.
patscc

Terry Yager
February 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Damn, that is a great looking board. Hope you get it un-munged. (Sorry, no on-topic help here).

--T

barythrin
February 18th, 2009, 07:48 AM
With the reset bios jumper if your manual mentions it, you usually have to put that jumper in reset mode, turn on the computer, give it 10 minutes or so to reflash the bios, turn it back off, put jumper back to regular mode and then turn it on.

And as others already implied, it'd be best to send the motherboard with the chip if you're going to do that so you don't end up with another bad image after the post office wait.

Chuck(G)
February 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I wonder if a 28F001 ist big enough to hold a backup BIOS. After all, it's only 128Kx8. The boards that I've seen with backup (self-restoring) BIOSes use 2Mbit parts.

At least you've got an EEPROM in a socket. The last time I did this was with a Tandberg SCSI tape drive with the PLCC flash soldered to the drive PCB. When I removed and rewrote it, I added a SMT socket to the PCB just in case I was dumb enough to try it again.

luckybob
February 18th, 2009, 05:10 PM
i'm going to see if any or my co-workers have a eprom flasher first, but I doubt it. I'm not worried about time, I have to patience to try several times. I'm in no hurry as this is kinda a side project while I work on my hot rod of a server...

patscc
February 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM
The idea behind boot block was a no-frills, no-post minimum find the floppy bootstrap that would look for floppy.
Kinda like this:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html
patscc

luckybob
February 20th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I was goofing off on ebay and I found a guy that will send you a new bios chip flashed with your bios for like $5 with shipping.

Theres no way I can beat that price, I just wonder how he makes a living off of it... but anyway I ordered one and after an exaustive search on asus I found the "correct" bios and I hope to be up and running soon!

YAY!

barythrin
February 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Cool :-) Goodluck!

BuggZ
February 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM
If you are lucky enough to find them, Intel used to offer a P-II overdrive chip that plugged directly into the Pentium Pro Socket 8 boards. They were only P-II/333 but if your BIOS supported other bus speeds you could sometimes get it to clock at a blazing 350Mhz.

luckybob
February 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I see them on ebay often enough, but it would be nice to get a pair. but one miracle at a time, lets see if I can get it to work first :)

IBMMuseum
February 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM
If you are lucky enough to find them, Intel used to offer a P-II overdrive chip that plugged directly into the Pentium Pro Socket 8 boards. They were only P-II/333 but if your BIOS supported other bus speeds you could sometimes get it to clock at a blazing 350Mhz.

To me that just makes them into a dual PII server, more common than systems that had two or more PPros. The IBM Server 330 had CPU cards for using up to two PPros or PII-333s. A 1Mb L2 cache on a few PPros just sounds more exotic too.

I'm working on a quad PPro 200MHz 1Mb cache system (IBM Netfinity 7000), with about a third of the RAM the system can truly have (topping off at 4Gb)...

luckybob
February 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
well, ther are TWO ten packs of 333 overdrives on ebay right now... no fans but, at $20 each its not really a "bad" price" but having them in a 10 pack means I cant afford them now. and becides what would I do with the extra 8?

the 333's with 512 cache are faster and more powerful thatn the 200/1m's but i doubt the board I have will even take it to be honest.

Hell, i'd just be happy if the damn thing posted...

patscc
February 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't have the heart to convert a PPRO to a PII. I mean, the first stab Intel made at performance instead of compatibility should be honored, somehow.
patscc

luckybob
February 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM
yea... maybe if I had TWO of these boards, then maybe but having the 2 inch square black chip jsut looks way too awesome.

luckybob
March 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM
UPDATE:

I got the new chip in yesterday, popped it in and after getting an annoying memory error that was fixed by re-seating the ram it now posts! WOO!!

so now that little side project goes to a back burner, I want to find a nice old case for it. I wanted to use a 5160 but I dont think it will work because the first isa slot has to accept a full length card AND a few inches for a heatsink.

But like I said, its my next "project" I plan on using it as a retro gaming computer. I remember spending many many hours as a teen playing quake 3 and having a dual cpu setup with a voodoo2 sli setup is just what i'm looking for.