PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this is worth?

TandyMan100
February 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM
A Commodore Tape drive, not much to indicate which one, with a bunch of tapes.

Luzur
February 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
hum...i dunno...1-2 bucks?

Vint
February 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Before you had disk drives, you had tape for the Commodore. I started with a VIC-20 and the old squared off Dataset recorder. I remember it cost me $65. for the Dataset at the time (early 80's). It can only be used with the Commodore computer, not being a stand alone cassette deck.
Go here for details -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datasette

I'd say a price of $5. - $10. for a good working unit, probably $10. They were pretty reliable machines. I still have a couple in like new condition and after all these years, they still work great.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=282

Remember they get scarcer as time goes on. I value the datasets because they are a unique part of Commodore computer history. My collection would be lacking, IMO, if I didn't have my Datasets :)
I've been following vintage computers on eBay since 2006 and I'm noting steadily rising prices for vintage gear. Not saying they are worth more - just that the asking prices seem to keep going up. I'm finding it more and more difficult to pick up 8-bit units for my magic figure of $25. - $30. including shipping. My quest for these bargains seems to take longer and longer before hitting pay dirt.

carlsson
February 24th, 2009, 09:50 PM
The 1530 tape recorder may be the only item of vintage computing worth more in the USA than in Europe. :-D Depending on which tapes it is, assuming they're originals and not home-made copies, those may be worth many times more than what the tape recorder itself is. In particular if you're really located in the States or thereabouts where tape recorders seem to quickly have fallen out of fashion; it means pretty much all originals should be early titles and very few budget re-releases like what floods the markets in Europe.