PDA

View Full Version : What in Hell is Happening in Germany ?

Micom 2000
February 26th, 2009, 11:42 PM
A thread in the CP/M secton sent me looking for Fritz Chwolka's Site. I found an URL here

http://www.gaby.de/elinks.htm

which led me to his site but then quickly changed to this site

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de/

I can't quite make heads or tails from it, other than some sort of legislation which came into effect January 1 1909 related to a restriction on the "retention of Data" which the group considered an assault on civil rights. Does this explain why Fritz's site is no longer available ?
Are sites in Germany having certain downloadable material no longer available, some sort of draconan law targetting warze sites but including all sites with objectional downloadable programs ? Or was this just a kdnapping of an abandoned site ?

Lawrence

Soupwizard
February 27th, 2009, 12:01 AM
http://www.gaby.de/elinks.htm works for me at the moment, goes to the big links page and stays there. Maybe it was an update glitch (a mistaken metatag to forward to the other site?).

carlsson
February 27th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Perhaps Gaby's site checks your IP and randomly forwards to the other site, which I think is a protest site against supervision of Internet traffic. You know lately there has been a lot of discussion, regulations and laws about whether government or intelligence agencies should be granted the rights to supervise everything you do on the Internet as well as phone calls, record the data for a number of years and use anything they can find against you in case you commit some crime like e.g. mentioning the words "terrorist bomb" or download an illegal copy of a DVD. Some people are more paranoid than others, putting up these web sites to protest the laws.

Ksarul
February 27th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I just tried to go to Fritz' site and got the same result when I clicked his entry on Gaby's site. It goes to his entry page for a second and then goes on to the protest site. Here's a copy of the text:

Der Arbeitskreis Vorratsdatenspeicherung ruft zum Protest gegen einen Gesetzentwurf von Bundesinnenminister Wolfgang Schäuble auf. Besorgte Internetnutzer sollen zum Telefon greifen und offene Briefe an die Bundestagsabgeordneten und die Landesregierungen schreiben, um eine flächendeckende Speicherung ihrer Surfgewohnheiten zu verhindern.

The Long-Term Data Retention Workgroup is calling out a protest against a new law proposed by Interior Minister Wolfgang Schäuble. Concerned Internet users should use their telephones and write letters to their Parliamentarians and State Governments to prevent mandatory retention of all of their web surfing activity.

When I stopped my browser from advancing to this page and tried to go to any of Fritz' sub pages, I got a "not found 404" error. Looks like he's pulled his site down as part of the protest--which has been going on since the third of February.

patscc
February 27th, 2009, 04:34 AM
It looks like Gaby's back up.
Perhaps someone hijacked a DNS server over there ?
patscc

tezza
February 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM
There was an "Internet blackout" by webmasters here earlier this week (sites blacked out, facebook pics blacked out etc.) to protest about proposed Internet copyright legislation. It actually had an effect and the Government has suspended progress on the law to allow more debate.

Tez

Terry Yager
February 27th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Good thing you foreigners don't have a President like our recently deposed GW Bush, with the power to enact such laws without any parliamentary process whatsoever. Seems YouThePeople still have a voice in such matters. Here, 'Executive Orders' carry the weight of law, without the pesky hindrance of legislative processes.

--T

patscc
February 27th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Live and learn.
Didn't realize we still had laws. Thought we gave them up years ago.
patscc

Terry Yager
February 28th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Live and learn.
Didn't realize we still had laws. Thought we gave them up years ago.
patscc

Yeah, 'Decrees' is prob'ly a better word.

--T

mbbrutman
February 28th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Warning - it is time to drop the political overtones and move on ... Rants about executive orders are entirely off topic here.

chuckcmagee
February 28th, 2009, 06:11 AM
<< done with high pitched, whining voice >>

"Well Terry started it!! " :twisted:

carlsson
February 28th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Aha, now finally I understand what Micom means. It is not the Gaby site that is in question, it is this link: http://www.alterechner.de/ that redirects to the other site.

When checking the HTML source code, you immediately find this:

<head><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de/"</head>

so Fritz definitely wants you directed on purpose, or somebody else deliberately hacked the source code.

I would suppose however this is a temporary campaign so the redirect will be removed eventually. Whether or not you can prevent your web browser from following redirects in HTML headers and alike, I'm not sure. You can always push the Stop button before it moves on.

Update: On the other hand, none of the links from the main page no longer works, all result in 404 Not Found. I think the page has been abandoned for good. The latest copy found in the Internet Archive is from June 2007:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070607155232/http://www.alterechner.de/

The Internet Archive however is somewhat sluggish so have patience if you try to browse it from there. You may also search for older editions, dating back to February 2001.

NobodyIsHere
February 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Aha, now finally I understand what Micom means.
[snip]

Please do tell! I can think of a few definitions but I'd like to know what you are referring to.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

carlsson
February 28th, 2009, 02:26 PM
You're kidding?

Well, I mean Micom posted one link then wrote about if you follow a link found on that page his link leads to, you get directed via a third link to the strange page. Some of us may have thought it was the first link he actually posted that was bad, but instead it was a link you were supposed to find yourself on the Gaby site...

NobodyIsHere
February 28th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Oh, I think I misinterpreted your sentence. I thought you were referring to what "Micom" means (the name) versus what "Micom" means (the original posters observation). Yes, the latter is the Frtiz Chowlka's site is being redirected for some German internal regulation protest page.

Sorry. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Druid6900
February 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I THINK the Micom 2000 was an old computer.

It doesn't really reflect his age accurately though, although the Abacus might :)

Just kidding, L. (Don't take me off the list LOL)

Vlad
February 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I always assumed his avatar was of a Micom. I think it was a model of machine made by Phillips or something.

Micom 2000
March 1st, 2009, 12:29 AM
Yes the Micom 2000 was just a dream when I lived in Montreal but was developed there, based on the 8080. It had already sold a $million worth of boxes before Steve and Steve even got the Apple 1 out of the garage. It was peddled as a word processor but was actually a real computer. NASA bought about 100 of them to take the load off their Mainframes and they communicated with the mainframes. The founder of the company Stephen Dorsey is credited with producing the 1st word-processor as head of AEC in the early 70s, a canadian company out of MTL. He sold that to jontly found Micom. At one time it had many sales offices all over the US and Canada. Philips bought a portion of it in 79 and around 81 bought out the rest of it. Dorsey went on to found many early communication companies.

Abacus, Smabacus. A suspect foreign device. We developed highly sophisticated computational methods in the canadian west in my time, based on fingers and toes, elbows and knees being multipliers. For obvious reasons we called it a digital system. For larger quantities we used "heads" a multiplier of the above. From which came the term "a head of cows", later changed by ignorant newcomers from the East and Europe to the meaningless term "a herd of cows".

We also used a great conceptual term for large numbers, conceived by native people, "Many, Many, Many" and the phrase for infinity "as many as the stars in the sky". Much more meaningful and comprehensible than the abstact terms "million, quadrillion, or trillion". I can't really comprehend meaningfully these supposed "numbers" to this day.

Occasionally we used our less precise non-native person term, "a bunch", or "a BIG bunch" and that was generally acceptable, and a price for whatever it was could be negotiated.

Lawrence

I THINK the Micom 2000 was an old computer.

It doesn't really reflect his age accurately though, although the Abacus might :)

Just kidding, L. (Don't take me off the list LOL)

Terry Yager
March 1st, 2009, 08:14 AM
CitySlicker: Look at that bunch of cows.
Rube: Herd.
CS: Heard what?
R: Herd of cows.
CS: Of course I've heard of cows, there's a bunch of 'em over there.
R: No, no...a cow herd!
CS: So what, I didn't say anything wrong!
[To be continued]...

How many cows does it take to make a herd? 2? 3? When you run out of fingers & toes? Do oxen count?

--T

Micom 2000
March 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
How many cows does it take to make a herd? 2? 3? When you run out of fingers & toes? Do oxen count?

--T

10 squared using both elbows. Many, Many, cows. Properly, a head of cows using both elbows, would be many, many, many cows.

Not that I've herd of. If they did, it would have to be a binary or quadinary (?) hoofal system.

One thing the Micom editor was capable of, unlike any editor I have on my modern computers, was superscript and subscript notation, so I could properly notate and print squared numbers, footnote #s and fractions, or small letters above or below the line.

L