PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Rehab

hrobinson57
February 27th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I was lucky enough to get 2 Wyse mechanical keyboards from a friend who knows I go for that kind of thing. One just needed a good cleaning, and an adapter for the DIN5 connector plug to PS2. I use this on my bench, and really like the feel. The other is all cleaned up & ready to go, but it has an RJ11 connector (like for a phone). I have found a couple of RJ11 to USB adapters online, but I think they are for phone equipment. Will these work for a keyboard? The description doesn't really say much on this point. Has any one ever tried to convert one of these? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Hal Robinson

Terry Yager
February 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM
The RJ connector is prob'ly for a Wyse terminal (and some of their computers). There are adapters for those terminals to use a standard PS/2 keyboard, so I'm sure there must be some that go the other way (although I don't recall ever seeing one). Keep searching,

--T

barythrin
February 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Ditto on T's comment. On the bottom of the keyboard you might find some info on what system it came from to give us a better idea on if it'd be convertible and if so what keyboard scancodes it might send.

Several early computers used an rj11 cable for keyboards and quite a few terminals did so according it may or may not be usable.

Chuck(G)
February 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
If this is one of the standard keyboards for something like a WY-120 terminal (or family), the pin assignments go like this:

1 - Gnd
3 - +5v
2 - CMD/ (active low) from terminal PCB
4 - Data (to terminal PCB)

Logic levels are TTL and appear to be scan codes, not ASCII.

Hope this helps.

hrobinson57
February 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Thank you for all your replies about the Wyse keyboard. I do remember now being told that this may have been used on a terminal. On the bottom it lists a serial number:

K/B, WY60 ASCII #840338-01
There is also a part number: 840338-01 (same as last part of serial number).

Molded into the plastic on the inside of the bottom cover is a number: 44-006-02 REVc and the year 1983.

There is also a tiny sticker (from the Chinese manufacturer?) listing a part number: 710094-01 94HB

I should have provided this info in my first post, any further help would be appreciated. And thanks once again for the replies so far.

Hal Robinson

Chuck(G)
February 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM
If it's a Wyse WY60 terminal keyboard this (http://www.wyse.com/service/support/kbase/wits/80219.txt) from wyse.com:

TOPIC: KEYBOARD PINOUTS

DATE: 03/07/89

PRODUCT: WY60 WY99GT WY120 WY150 WY160 WY185 WY370

THE ISSUE:
Keyboard pinouts.

RESOLUTION:
WYSE 4 WIRE INTERFACE at the KEYBOARD CONNECTOR

1. Data YELLOW
2. +5v GREEN
3. Clock RED
4. Grd BLACK

The keyboard wire is built with a half-twist. Pin 1
on the TERMINAL end of the cable is pin 4 on the
keyboard end of the cable.

hrobinson57
February 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Thank you very much. With this info I think I will try USB hookup myself. I had this in my files:

See attached .jpeg of the connectors I have on hand.
Red: + 5V / Voltage + / VCC
White: D - / Data - / USB -
Green: D + / Data + / USB +
Black: GND / Voltage - / Ground
Black: S-GND / Over Current / Shielding

So if I toss out the S-GND & try to connect:

1. Data YELLOW
2. +5v GREEN - (to Red +5 VCC)
3. Clock RED
4. Grd BLACK - (to ground)

This would leave me with "Data" & "Clock" Any idea which might be data+ & could the other be data-? As long as I get the power hooked up correctly (not feeding power to data) do you think I could get away with trial & error on the +/- data connections? Thank you for all this help. I hope to save this keyboard yet.

Hal Robinson

Chuck(G)
February 28th, 2009, 08:47 PM
The clock is a TTL signal from the terminal to the keyboard; the data is a TTL signal from the keyboard to the terminal. Pulse the clock signal, get a data bit.

In the WY120, these are connected to 2 pins of an 8032 MPU, but you could probably get away using a couple of pins of a PC parallel port.

Should be pretty simple to figure out.