PDA

View Full Version : My latest addition to my SBC collection

PacMan
March 4th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Just snagged this from eBay yesterday.
A beautiful little Z80 single board computer with all you need o get started. Ooh and the 44pin card edge connector is the same as in my newly designed 6502 based rack computer system.

http://www.nmia.com/~4r2sons/KQ2.JPG

Oooh, lucky mee :mrgreen:

/P

tezza
March 4th, 2009, 01:16 AM
ohh, very nice.

The empty sockets are for ROMs, yes?

Tez

PacMan
March 4th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I believe so yes, I will know more when the board arrives and I have had time to look it over. My intention is to create an EPROM with a NoIce monitor to be able to run the NoIce debugger and then just have fun with it.

/P

PacMan
March 4th, 2009, 01:32 AM
It'll be fun trying to figure out what chip should go into the empty socket........

Vlad
March 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Whats that black connector on the top left? I just found a box of those and don't know what they are. Just the connector though, none of the other fun stuff :p

PacMan
March 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM
That's a 26-pin IDC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulation-displacement_connector) connector. I't looks from the picture that you could maybe access the adress and data bus from there but 26-pins seem a bit skimpy for that purpose. I'm hoping that it is an I/O connector with serial and maybe some paralell IO on it.

/P

chuckcmagee
March 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Yes friends. You learn something new every day. I saw IDC this and IDC that, thought it was something like "International Digital Consortium" or some stupid like that, somewhat like ASCII, etc.

Thanks to PacMan, I now have a better and correct understanding of what a IDC connector is. I have made 3 or 4 attempts at reusing those but never have succeeded. Still working on the exact secret to get all those little insulation piercing connections to work. If I had a normal vise with some wood blocks, seems that would do it. Looks like another thing to buy when I get the large bedroom organized.

PacMan
March 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM
As they say, you learn someting new every day ;-)

Terry Yager
March 4th, 2009, 12:41 PM
What is the bus? My first thought was STD, but not enough pins...

--T

PacMan
March 4th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I have no idea yet.
I will try to document the board as good as I can when I get it.

/P

ziloo
March 31st, 2009, 02:18 AM
...... I will know more when the board arrives...

/P

Well Mr. PacMan,

We are anxiously waiting :confused1:

ziloo :biggrin:

PacMan
March 31st, 2009, 03:54 AM
Well Mr. PacMan,
We are anxiously waiting :confused1:
ziloo :biggrin:

So someone is curious huh ?

Well, I got the board some time ago and have just done a simple analysis of it. It's a very basic Z80 board with room for three 2764 EPROM's. It has a 2K SRAM, one SIO/0 device and one 82C55.

It's a corny board as it has the 82C55 I/O pins routed to the card-edge connector and the data/adress bus connected to the IDC connector.
That's about all i have had the time to do with it. When I do get a few precious minutes to spare i will hook my logic analyzer to the Z80, plug in a simple program that scans all memory and I/O addresses so that I can map the little bugger.

That is, if it works at all =)

/P

Dwight Elvey
March 31st, 2009, 07:03 AM
Yes friends. You learn something new every day. I saw IDC this and IDC that, thought it was something like "International Digital Consortium" or some stupid like that, somewhat like ASCII, etc.

Thanks to PacMan, I now have a better and correct understanding of what a IDC connector is. I have made 3 or 4 attempts at reusing those but never have succeeded. Still working on the exact secret to get all those little insulation piercing connections to work. If I had a normal vise with some wood blocks, seems that would do it. Looks like another thing to buy when I get the large bedroom organized.

Hi
I've found the easiest way to put these together is to use
one of those wood clamps. You know, the ones that have
the two long screws with handles and the clamp parts
made of wood.
I find that using a vise is actually quite
a bit harder. I do have a hand clamp especially made
too put these together but it is difficult to use with
more than 15 or so pins.
Dwight