PDA

View Full Version : Paperclip 64?

NeXT
March 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I found this thing at the bottom of my box-o-stuff and there was this little DB9 dongle called a Paperclip 64. It looks as if it plugs directly into the joystick/mouse port on my C64 but I have no software for it. Don't know if it really is a Commodore 64 item but what exactly is it and what does it do?

MikeS
March 4th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Just what you said it is: copy protection dongle for the Paperclip word processing program.

NeXT
March 5th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Copy protection on the joystick port?
I don't see how that would work.

One Man Band
March 5th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I have 3 of these listed on eBay in a big BI/PaperClip lot. Each of the 'main' programs has a different dongle: PaperClip64, SpellCheck, TheConsultant. There might be others that I don't have.

Maybe it works by the dongle constantly sending a sequence of fake joystick pulses (UDUDLRLRF, for example) that the program can read any time it needs to. Just a guess.

carlsson
March 5th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Yes, or simply combining one or more directions simultaneously. While pulses add an extra layer of protection, just checking something is there at all is fine to start with. There were dongles for the tape port too, some as simple as pushing Play button down to bypass.

Floppies_only
March 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Yes, or simply combining one or more directions simultaneously. While pulses add an extra layer of protection, just checking something is there at all is fine to start with. There were dongles for the tape port too, some as simple as pushing Play button down to bypass.

Hi Anders,

I bought a copy of Paperclip so I could write word processor files on a C64 and then transfer them to a PC. The program uses ASCII instead of PETSCII, IIRC. As the former posts in this tread indicate, you must have the dongle plugged into one of the joystick ports (front one - towards the operator) in order for the program to work.

So all you have to do is find somebody with a copy of the program and documentation and then turn around and everything to someone who'd like to use it. I have to warn you though (if I haven't already said this) that the program doesn't print margins at the top and bottom of the pages.

Sean

Terry Yager
March 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
You could grab up the dongle offered here:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=14473

Copy your disk & docs, then sell the originals on e*ay for like, $10,000 or so...

--T