PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba T5100 leaking oil?

carbontwelve
March 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I just found my old Toshiba T5100 in the loft after clearing the whole thing out. From the cary handle at the back it seems to be leaking some kind of yellowish oil, it doesn't seem to smell of anything and I don't remember it being an issue before it went into the loft. I haven't tried turning it on yet because I want to open it up and give it a blast of air to clean out any dust, the temperature and humidity of the loft varied hugely throughout the year from -7degC to +38DegC and from very dry to humid, I can't see this being a problem as other hardware brought out from up there still works and such hardware seems to be rated from 0% to 98% humidity from -30DegC to + 68degC when in storage so its just the dust issue.

Where could the oil be coming from?
Also how easy is it to take apart and clean? It was in full working order before it went up there...

patscc
March 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
How much, and how thick ? I could see it perhaps being leaking electrolyte from some caps, but that might be a bit of a stretch.
patscc

Half-Saint
March 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Well, I have a similar problem with an Atari Portfolio. It's leaking something from the hinges and it looks and feels oily. My guess is that the stuff used to keep the hinges going somehow go more liquid than it's supposed to..

tezza
March 10th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Wouldn't be battery acid would it? Is the battery clipped in? Is it ok?

Tez

channelmaniac
March 12th, 2009, 05:32 AM
If it has silicone rubber seals they could deteriorate and leach the oil out.

I picked up a bunch of NOS (New Old Stock) chips in tubes from a local supplier that had oil on them and he was having trouble figuring out where it came from. He found a batch that just started getting oil on the end chips in the tubes and figured out they all had the same kind of silicone rubber stoppers in the ends. Those stoppers were deteriorating and leaching the oil out.