PDA

View Full Version : IBM Model 80 - Whats it worth?

sgayol
March 9th, 2009, 07:38 PM
My father-in-law just dug up a Model 80 from the back of the huge closet in his home office, and was going to throw it away. I figured someone out there would be interested in having this thing, and I wandered here :)

How much is it worth? He wants to know if it's worth taking the time/effort to sell to anyone... Thoughts??

It's a Model 80 Type 8580-071.

Thanks everyone!

frozenfire75i
March 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Ya it's diff worth the time and trouble, IBM PS/2 Model 80's are "rare" somewhat. IF no one gets it here stick it on eBay for 50 bucks someone will be bound to bid on it!

patscc
March 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Well, not too long ago, a bunch of folks on the forum bought new old stock , boxed ones for $60.00, including the monitor. Do you have any specs on the unit, what's in it, that kind of thing ? Where are you located ? They're really big & heavy and a pain to ship.
patscc

Unknown_K
March 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Some went for more then $100 on ebay but they had rare upgrades. Mostly the value varies depending on who is looking at the time, what is included and condition, and how much they want to spend.

As some people found out Model 80 floppy drives tend to die with age even on new never used machines, making them useless until you get a working drive.

patscc
March 9th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Help, where'd all the posts go ? All I see is this big green thing staring in my face...
patscc

sgayol
March 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hmm... I don't know if $50-60 plus shipping is worth it. Just packing the damn thing for shipping seems like a huge pita.

We're located in North New Jersey. Maybe someone would pick it up??

Terry Yager
March 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Help, where'd all the posts go ? All I see is this big green thing staring in my face...
patscc

Turn on the monitor (big green thing)...

--T

Yzzerdd
March 10th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Having fun with your magical powers, Terry?

--Ryan

Terry Yager
March 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Having fun with your magical powers, Terry?

--Ryan

Bwahahahahaaaa!

--T

Raven
March 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I'd pick it up, I live in DE.

What are the chances of it being free? I'm broke, lol... I might be able to weasel some money out of a friend, so shoot me a price/address in PM and we'll chat.

billdeg
March 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Delaware? Really?

kb2syd
March 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Depending on where in North Jersey I could pick it up and store it for Raven. I'm about as north and west as you can get and still be in NJ.

chuckcmagee
March 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Ah good, looks like the original poster (known lovingly around here as the OP) has indeed provided his email address on the forum setup. Otherwise, we could have our fave, where a thread is opened and that person is never heard from again.

Unknown_K
March 13th, 2009, 10:50 PM
So what model PS/2 is worth the most (rarest?) anyway?

Raven
March 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Just for whoever might be wondering, I've chatted with him over email and the machine includes nothing but the tower. I changed my mind at the lack of accessories combined with the gas cost and time required to drive there from here..

Chuckster_in_Jax
March 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM
So what model PS/2 is worth the most (rarest?) anyway?

In my opinion the Model 9595 Tower is the most collectable. I can't remember the last time I saw one of these for sale on ebay. It is also one of the most powerful of the PS/2's that were made. I got one with a 60Mhz Pentium processor from recycledgoods"dot"com about 3 years ago and it was in A+ condition. Had to pay $200 for it then. They have one listed now for 30% more than I payed.

Here is a couple of good webpages wih pictures and a description.

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney/ibm95.htm

http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/alf/ps2_95t3/

Here are the images of the one recycledgoods is selling:

https://www.recycledgoods.com/zoom.aspx?productID=8916

Chuckster_in_Jax
March 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Hows this for a PS/2 collection!!!

http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/alf/index.html#collection

Unknown_K
March 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM
In my opinion the Model 9595 Tower is the most collectable. I can't remember the last time I saw one of these for sale on ebay. It is also one of the most powerful of the PS/2's that were made. I got one with a 60Mhz Pentium processor from recycledgoods"dot"com about 3 years ago and it was in A+ condition. Had to pay $200 for it then. They have one listed now for 30% more than I payed.

Here is a couple of good webpages wih pictures and a description.

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney/ibm95.htm

http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/alf/ps2_95t3/

Here are the images of the one recycledgoods is selling:

https://www.recycledgoods.com/zoom.aspx?productID=8916

I have a 9595 (P66 I think), decent system. Th 9595 is probably most collectable because it was the last and fastest, but that doesn't make it the rarest model.

bbishoppcm
March 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I was the first one to buy one of the aforementioned New-Old-Stock PS/2s. I did manage to replace my floppy drive (Allen sold me one). Now that that's fixed, and I replaced the clock battery ($12 at Batteries Plus... Rayovac Lithium 223A, if anyone's looking), she's one of the best machines in my collection. But in all seriousness, had it not been for the new-old-stock status, I wouldn't have touched this machine with a ten foot pole! The PS/2 series is too quirky, heavy, and hard to find parts for. Unless you're a die-hard PS/2 fan, it really isn't worth much if it's just a tower with no upgrades...

Unknown_K
March 27th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I was the first one to buy one of the aforementioned New-Old-Stock PS/2s. I did manage to replace my floppy drive (Allen sold me one). Now that that's fixed, and I replaced the clock battery ($12 at Batteries Plus... Rayovac Lithium 223A, if anyone's looking), she's one of the best machines in my collection. But in all seriousness, had it not been for the new-old-stock status, I wouldn't have touched this machine with a ten foot pole! The PS/2 series is too quirky, heavy, and hard to find parts for. Unless you're a die-hard PS/2 fan, it really isn't worth much if it's just a tower with no upgrades...

I figure people here collect them BECAUSE they are quirky. Personally I collect all the old ISA/EISA/VLB/MCA/Nubus era systems because I like the oddball cards they had before the advent of PCI which everyone used.

The PS/2 towers are cool because of the construction, look, and all those MCA slots you can fill.

justjunk
March 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM
... and all those MCA slots you can fill.

yah... fill with $$$$

Unknown_K
March 28th, 2009, 03:18 AM
yah... fill with $$$$
Cards don't seem to be that expensive for MCA unless you want a sound card. Plenty of video, serial, CPU upgrades, SCSI, ESDI, networking of all types, and even some capture cards out there that are not too expensive. Its like anything else, at one time it was all new and major money then it became worthless and tossed in the trash and now somebody with no life (me) collects it.

I recall when Apple IIgs were being dumped from school systems and NOBODY wanted anything to do with them, now people actually pay some money to get them. Same thing with XT's dumped back in the early 90's and are now collectable (missed the boat on that one).

justjunk
March 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Cards don't seem to be that expensive for MCA unless you want a sound card. Plenty of video, serial, CPU upgrades, SCSI, ESDI, networking of all types, and even some capture cards out there that are not too expensive. Its like anything else, at one time it was all new and major money then it became worthless and tossed in the trash and now somebody with no life (me) collects it.

I recall when Apple IIgs were being dumped from school systems and NOBODY wanted anything to do with them, now people actually pay some money to get them. Same thing with XT's dumped back in the early 90's and are now collectable (missed the boat on that one).

It seem that just few years after the machines disappear from the thrift store shelves they become "rare". I've missed plenty boats in my day too. The Darthvader looking Commodore all in one computer... the strange looking Televideo machine... the little TI toy with the chicklet keys (think it was TI)... a DEC domething. I just didn't have room (or $$$) for all of them... now.. well I still don't have the room (and not much more $$$ either) but now I realize the treasures that were passed up. That said.. I did manage to snag a model 80... and several other machines.
I remember laughing at some young kid who was cautioning his buddy looking over a Commodore 64 in a thriftstore... "Nah.. don't bother with that.. it won't run windows." I think 3.1 was the current offering from M$ @ that time. It was hard to believe anyone would ever appreciate or desire an old, obsolete, or even worse orphaned computer. I know most of the old machines are not expensive but there are people seeking them out in venues like ebay and VC forums.
Hmmm... have I strayed a bit off topic? sorry.